Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road issues that irritate me.......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Using the brake instead of just decelerating in time

The brake is for emergencies or bringing a car to a stop

That would make for incredibly tedious driving. Like the economy runs they have on Top Gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

So what you're saying is that if drivers didn't do bad things then cyclists woul;dn't have any excuse to ;)

I grew up in the country side. I cycled everywhere. I cycled into the nearest big town. It wasn't too bad but there were lots of rough drivers. The number of times I've been on a narrow road/street, 6 inches from the ditch/pavement and cars have beeped their horns to get me to move farther left is ridiculous. The number of those cars who pass me at speed and leave a foot at the most on the right of me is about the same. The number of times I've had drivers open their car doors when I'm approaching is silly. I've lost track of the number of times I've been nearly knocked off the road by a car speeding on a country road.

I had a friend in school who was crushed against a wall because a car pushed up right next to him at high speed. He spent 6 months in hospital and years in physio. Two weeks later it nearly happened to me on the same road at the same place.

I don't cycle anymore. I left my bike in a bike rack at a train station. I came back later and found the rear wheel at a right angle. Some fcuker reversed into the bike rack and into the bikes. The frame was warped so there went my €800 bike. Other bikes were damaged too. Did the guy leave a note or tell the guys in the station what had happened? Did he fcuk.

Even if I had my bike I probably wouldn't cycle in Dublin. It's just too dangerous with the standard of drivers on our roads and the lack of cycle lanes (Although to be fair after the time I nearly crashed into a parked car in fog on a cycle lane I grew wary of them too)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

When I'm cycling:

Drivers pulling out of a junction ahead of me forcing me to brake sharply, because they assume they have the right of way, because they're in a car.

Drivers trying to overtake me on corners and then realising that they can't because I'm not glued to the kerb, and so have to brake and wait for me to complete the turn. It's impatient, and dangerous if there's someone behind them.

Cyclists breaking red lights, and not following the Rules of the Road in general, maintaining the stereotype that no cyclists follow the rules.

Drivers stopped in the cycle lane.

When I'm walking:

Cyclists on the footpath: it's dangerous and childish - how can you not cope with cycling on the road if you're an adult?

Drivers breaking reds at pedestrian crossings, especially in the morning. Get up earlier and you won't be in a rush!

When I'm driving:

At roundabouts when it's not busy: drivers entering the roundabout in the right-hand lane, and exiting (before or at 12 o'clock) into the left-hand lane, while I'm exiting into the same lane, having started in the left-hand lane.

Drivers at roundabouts in general: most people haven't got a clue, which is especially frustrating because they're so simple. Of particular annoyance is when a roundabout deviates even slightly from the common four-exit 12, 3, 6, 9 o'clock form, and people have no idea what to do. Well, if there are three exits you still indicate left when you're taking the first one.

Drivers who assume that indicating is only relevant to the car directly behind them, so don't indicate if there's no-one right behind them, regardless of the need to indicate what they're doing to cyclists and pedestrians.

Drivers who go at a constant 70 on a 100 road, and when they enter a town.

Drivers who nose forward when they think the light is soon to go green. What are you thinking? It's particularly funny when they do it way too early and end up almost imperceptibly inching forward for about 30 seconds.

Reductive "all cyclists/drivers are idiots" thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Anyone who doesn't know they have no lights on or blown headlight bulbs., these are the very same clowns who call the NCT a money racket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

9or10 wrote: »
    They're pi$$ed :D

Had one the other day. I was stopped at a junction turning right on a filter. Had a bit of a wait so slurp the coffee. Next thing some idiot stops to let me go with a queue of traffic behind him.

Nearly burnt me nutz and then I was embarassed because he was driving like a dick.

My pet hate is turning right across a busy main road. When the busy road comes to a stop the number of A/holes who will stop in the gap in front of you, for absolutely no gain, rather than letting you out.

Remember the advert that was on years ago about the yellow box and how you should only enter it if you can exit it? It's strange because based on what I see I think most drivers think it's a parking space where you can wait for lights to change :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Patww79 wrote: »

Could you provided one actual example of where an action by a cyclist has caused someone else to be killed or maimed in Ireland in, say, the last ten years? Perhaps a coroners report or a press report or a Garda statement?

There are a very small number of cases where cyclists cause injuries to themselves, such as the drunk cyclist killed on the M1 a couple of years back. But I can't recall a single case of a cyclist causing death or serious injury to someone else - can you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

A lot of newer cars have those auto dip sensors which can be slow to detect oncoming cars. You can turn it off but its easy to forgot to dip your lights.

Again the auto lights tend to turn on the fog lights too.

Is that actually a thing?? And people use that rather than dip the headlights themselves?

So car with that installed arrives at a lefthand bend just as another oncoming car approaches bend, the car with auto dip will always blind the other driver as the other drivers lights are always pointing away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

RainyDay wrote: »
    Could you provided one actual example of where an action by a cyclist has caused someone else to be killed or maimed in Ireland in, say, the last ten years? Perhaps a coroners report or a press report or a Garda statement?

There are a very small number of cases where cyclists cause injuries to themselves, such as the drunk cyclist killed on the M1 a couple of years back. But I can't recall a single case of a cyclist causing death or serious injury to someone else - can you?

Does it have to be someone else, how about killing or maiming themselves by running red lights or whatever ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

jon1981 wrote: »
    Cars (presume used by multiple pal) that display both an L and an N sign. Seriously how lazy...

What's lazy about this? If you're a novice driver you're legally obliged to display an 'N' plate and same for learners. Are they supposed to fork out and buy separate cars :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

Random braking.....what the f**k are you braking for!!...there is nothing in front of you the last few miles and your stuttering along, speeding up, slowing down......

makes my pi$$ boil

Why is it that Dublin drivers (maybe it happens elsewhere) will break a red at the drop of a hat but as soon as a light turns green it takes them about 10 seconds to get into gear and take off, drives me nuts. If you're the first car at a set of lights stay in gear, show some courtesy to the cars waiting behind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Cyclists should have license plates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

FunLover18 wrote: »
    What's lazy about this? If you're a novice driver you're legally obliged to display an 'N' plate and same for learners. Are they supposed to fork out and buy separate cars :confused:
    You do what I did when I was learning. Put them up while learning and take them off while not. Otherwise what the !%^& is the point of them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

FunLover18 wrote:
    Why is it that Dublin drivers (maybe it happens elsewhere) will break a red at the drop of a hat but as soon as a light turns green it takes them about 10 seconds to get into gear and take off, drives me nuts. If you're the first car at a set of lights stay in gear, show some courtesy to the cars waiting behind you.

Similarly the ones who keep edging forward when stopped at a red light yet take ages to take off when it goes green.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

OK I know it's hard for you , but just try and think this through. Perhaps just perhaps you only stick up the plate that represents the driver in the car at that time...

Cheaper solution than purchasing an additional car.

Alun wrote: »
    You do what I did when I was learning. Put them up while learning and take them off while not. Otherwise what the !%^& is the point of them?

Have you considered that there may be two people (possibly siblings) sharing the same car, one who has passed the test and is a novice, and one who is still a learner. I couldn't wait to take my L plates off, hard to imagine someone being too lazy to do so especially if they went to the effort of putting on the N plates.

Have you considered that there may be two people (possibly siblings) sharing the same car, one who has passed the test and is a novice, and one who is still a learner. I couldn't wait to take my L plates off, hard to imagine someone being too lazy to do so especially if they went to the effort of putting on the N plates.

Lol my god ... OK this is clearly way over your head.

I f**king love my bicycle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

jon1981 wrote:
    Lol my god ... OK this is clearly way over your head.

What's your point?Seems very clear to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

As a driver with nearly 10 years behind me my biggest bug bearer is roundabouts, mainly when I'm in the right hand lane and they are in the left hand lane. They see me and I see them, yet still they go for the racing line and try to squeeze me out despite the fact that I'm going right.

As a cyclist of only a few months. I've never broken lights, always use roundabouts correctly etc. I cycle defensively and yet I still get what can only be described as special kinds of idiots who have a hatred for cyclists. I've been overtaken on a blind bend. On every cycle a driver doesn't see me on the roundabout. a lady even said I caused her to break the speed limit to overtake me while cycling through my local town. Nice downhill ðŸ˜.

So now i see it from both sides and to conclude. The problem isn't motorist or cyclist. It's stupid people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

RayM wrote:
    I think you'll find there is.

I'm sure you will find there is none. Not mentioned in the rules of the road

OK I know it's hard for you , but just try and think this through. Perhaps just perhaps you only stick up the plate that represents the driver in the car at that time...

Cheaper solution than purchasing an additional car.

What? As in John Learner wants to take the car out - stick on the L Plates, but John's had a few pint so Jim Novice has to drive him home - take down the Ls and stick on the Ns. That's crazy, is it not just easier for other drivers to assume they're dealing with a novice/learner and take the appropriate cautions

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Driving in the dark with no lights.......the amount of people who drive around after dark with no lights on is scary!! Do they not realised that their instrument cluster does not display the headlight symbol or can they even understand the displays!

Cyclists and red lights......Heading past Connolly station, passsd the Luas tracks and stopped at red lights between the IFSC and Busaras, 3 cyclists go by and one neary gets run over by a van coming from the right, the little suicide jockey then gives out to the van for not seeing him.....am I missing something here or red lights the new green??

What are your most irritating road issues?

More a case of the red or green just don't exist - but on their own heads be it. Breaking red lights is like a long drawn out game of Russian roulette, motorists have a metal box to protect against self-injury - cyclists have nothing. Better to play safe IMO particularly cyclists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Senna wrote: »
    Is that actually a thing?? And people use that rather than dip the headlights themselves?

So car with that installed arrives at a lefthand bend just as another oncoming car approaches bend, the car with auto dip will always blind the other driver as the other drivers lights are always pointing away.

Yeah most new cars have them. It's grand if you're on a straight road but they're useless when approaching corners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

**** who brake at oncoming traffic at night the road has not got narrowerer because it's dark ya thick cnut.
    **** who drive with their front fogs on whatever the weather.
    **** who haven't a fcuking clue how to use roundabouts.
    **** in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Drivers that over take me and my club mates on my bicycle on bends in the road! Happens far too often. Perhaps they have periscopes but they certainly aren't noticeable!

Are you cycling 19 abreast?? If so there is only so long a driver can sit behind you

Again the auto lights tend to turn on the fog lights too.
    ?????????

Are you cycling 19 abreast?? If so there is only so long a driver can sit behind you

Pretty sure 19 abreast is illegal ;)

• Advertisement

Pretty sure 19 abreast is illegal ;)

Ok ill say 5 to keep in real terms......all I ask is that you move in, allow the traffic to pass and then move back out.

Surely thats not complicated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I'm sure you will find there is none. Not mentioned in the rules of the road

Here's a hint: It's beside the slow lane.

RayM wrote: »
    Here's a hint: It's beside the slow lane.
    That'd be the overtaking lane then.

And there's no slow lane either, that's called the driving lane.

People who complain most about cyclists are always middle-aged men.

Hope someone has the decency to kill me before I reach middle-age.

Ah you see your most likely in the 20 something group that beleives you are a wonderful road user, however your probably part of the problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Nearly went into a trailer being pulled by a tractor on morning last winter and the trailer had no taillights on it, you'd be right up on it before you knew it.

Ok ill say 5 to keep in real terms......all I ask is that you move in, allow the traffic to pass and then move back out.

Surely thats not complicated

5 is equally as illegal as 19. All I ask is alittle patience, if you've no room to move by, just wait a few minutes. Simple :)

Alun wrote: »
    That'd be the overtaking lane then.

And there's no slow lane either, that's called the driving lane.

Nah mate, seen it with my own eyes

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

People who complain most about cyclists are always middle-aged men.

Hope someone has the decency to kill me before I reach middle-age.

Too late...
    doing 100 km/h (which, quite frankly, is fast enough for anyone)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Nah mate, seen it with my own eyes

Taken from the RSA Guide to Motorway driving
    Lane 1 – You should always use this lane for normal driving. Stay in this lane unless you are overtaking.

Lane 2 – You should only use this lane for overtaking. You must move back to lane 1 once you have finished overtaking and it is safe to do so. You can also move into lane 2 to allow vehicles coming from your left to join the motorway.

Lane 3 – You should only use this lane if traffic in lanes 1 and 2 is moving in queues and you need to overtake or make room for merging traffic. Again, you should move back to lane 1 as soon as it is safe to do so.

• Advertisement

That proves nothing. Find me proof that the fast lane doesn't exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Not strictly a driving matter, but people who aren't disabled using a disabled parking space or parents who get so all precious over parent and child spaces ~ in my opinion they're legit targets for me finding a parking space (tough sh*t, since when did owning a baby entitle you to f*ck all).

Outside of that hardly anything else, taxi drivers, women drivers, bus drivers etc ~ let 'em all be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

The "overtaking lane" is permanently used by knobends driving overpriced ugly **** like Merc, BMWs and Audis.

It's a box on wheels used to go places. You paid way too much for yours and everyone still hates the fact that you even exist.

The Road Safety Auhority says it doesn't exist, the onus is now on you to find an equal or higher authority that says otherwise.

And no, your eyes don't count

Which brand of German car do you own?

• Advertisement

The Road Safety Auhority says it doesn't exist, the onus is now on you to find an equal or higher authority that says otherwise.

And no, your eyes don't count

Show me where the Road Safety Authority says the fast lane doesn't exist.

Show me where the Road Safety Authority says the fast lane doesn't exist.

They don't say Bigfoot doesn't exist either but that's hardly proof he does.

lawlolawl wrote: »
    They don't say Bigfoot doesn't exist either but that's hardly proof he does.

So the Road Safety Authority doesn't say the fast lane doesn't exist.

I rest my case. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Impatient people who flash their lights at me when I'm doing 100 km/h (which, quite frankly, is fast enough for anyone) in the fast lane on the M50.

Why are you driving in the outside lane?

lawred2 wrote: »
    Why are you driving in the outside lane?

Because I'm driving fast. In my Yaris. It's a speed limit, not a speed target.

• Advertisement
Advertisement