Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road issues that irritate me.......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Carpentry wrote: »
    Never said this is illegal, but the title says "Road issues that irritate me......."

This is what irritates me.

When I cycle next to my wife and hear car coming from behind I simply move behind her and let the car pass. Its doable.

True, we'll single up as a group when it's safe to do so, and it doesn't invite a dangerous overtaking maneuver.

What irritates me is that drivers approach fast from behind, then use their horns to abuse us as they pass. Not just irritating, but illegal as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

How would you assume that ? What, where, why ?

Because it's the much more likely scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

NiallBoo wrote: »
    Because it's the much more likely scenario.

Still honestly cannot see how ?

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    True, we'll single up as a group when it's safe to do so, and it doesn't invite a dangerous overtaking maneuver.

What irritates me is that drivers approach fast from behind, then use their horns to abuse us as they pass. Not just irritating, but illegal as well.

I witnessed that as both driver and cyclist, so fcuking stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

cyclists cycling in pairs slowing down the entire traffic, impossible to overtake.

How much time to you spend stuck behind cyclists in pairs compared to the time you spend stuck behind the car in front?

Still honestly cannot see how?

The overwhelming majority of the road network doesn't have cycle lanes.

How much time to you spend stuck behind cyclists in pairs compared to the time you spend stuck behind the car in front?

If you compare possible speeds of both you have the answer.

When I cycle next to my wife and hear car coming from behind I simply move behind her and let the car pass. Its doable.

Doable, and with the added bonus that it generally encourages dangerous overtaking. Passing two cyclists side by side is generally easier that two in single file, as it is a shorter obstruction to pass.

Do you do the same in busy traffic when you see a cycling coming up behind? Do you move over to let the faster cyclist through?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    The amount of people that don't understand that cyclists can legally cycle 2 abreast is pretty unreal - it;'s part of our legislation since the 1960s.

I think this is where road etiquette comes in, and the cyclists should switch to single file to allow traffic through at regular intervals, just as a farmer driving a tractor should, and just as a car will give way to other cars.

This also means it can happen when safe to do so, and reduces the risk of an accident by the idiot who was beeping you and then braking heavily in front of you. Yes you were technically in the right, but did you have to risk a crash to prove your point? Same idiot will just do the same next week, had you gone single file, that idiot may learn something about road etiquette themselves and be more allowing of cyclists the following week.

• Advertisement

If you compare possible speeds of both you have the answer.
    Except that 'possible speeds' are of no relevance in busy traffic. But it is interesting to see that you avoid the answer.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Ease up on the oul motorist versus cyclist debate please.
    As has been long established, us folk on boards are never going to resolve it.

Doable, and with the added bonus that it generally encourages dangerous overtaking. Passing two cyclists side by side is generally easier that two in single file, as it is a shorter obstruction to pass.

Do you do the same in busy traffic when you see a cycling coming up behind? Do you move over to let the faster cyclist through?

I think the relative speeds would make passing single file faster and less likely to cause obstruction on the other side of the road, the time spent veering out so far to overtake two bikes is more than it would take to have driven past both. I mean, a slight push of the accelerator in the average car will have you past a very fast bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Eddy_Phelan

People that drive on the hard shoulder. Grrrr. Also, those that keep changing lanes in heavy traffic - undoubtedly slowing everyone down.

Except that 'possible speeds' are of no relevance in busy traffic. But it is interesting to see that you avoid the answer.

never mentioned busy traffic. possible speeds going up the hill for example. compare them two.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

Drivers ahead tapping the brakes every 10 seconds on a clear road for no apparent reason. I'm talking wide single carriageway or motorway and like clockwork braking every few seconds.

Some people are behind cars and can't maintain a constant distance without braking, but the ones at the front of a queue braking every 10 seconds really baffle me?!?

• Advertisement

never mentioned busy traffic. possible speeds going up the hill for example. compare them two.

I asked you a general question, covering your entire driving experience. What proportion of your time do you spend stuck behind cyclists vs the time you spend stuck behind motorists?

I asked you a general question, covering your entire driving experience. What proportion of your time do you spend stuck behind cyclists vs the time you spend stuck behind motorists?

I dont feel stuck behind other motorists as they tend to drive with same pace, where the cycling pair force me to slow down/almost to halt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

At the weekend a couple in a shiny new D-reg Land Rover overtaking all the normal traffic by driving along in the bus lane like the royalty they fecking thought they were...

I dont feel stuck behind other motorists as they tend to drive with same pace, where the cycling pair force me to slow down/almost to halt.

You have noticed that the pace of other motorists in traffic is generally way slower than any cyclist, right?

Dublin-Roads.jpg

biko wrote: »
    At the weekend a couple in a shiny new D-reg Land Rover overtaking all the normal traffic by driving along in the bus lane like the royalty they fecking thought they were...

In saying that, there's nothing better than seeing them get caught :) Driving on the N11 near Loughlinstown a few months ago, there was someone in the outside lane crawling along at 40 (80 limit), left lane completely free, dogs in the back and in the front seat with their heads out the window, everyone undertook her, I was passing the next set of traffic lights (Cabinteely Cross), when I looked in my rear view mirror and saw an unmarked car had flashed it's lights and was pulling her over :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

Maybe a timed bus lane?

You have noticed that the pace of other motorists in traffic is generally way slower than any cyclist, right?

Dublin-Roads.jpg

Not really. I mostly drive outside city centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

NiallBoo wrote: »
    Well...that is the speed limit on most of our roads.
    Not on main roads with a hard shoulder and a sign that says 100kph. I was following a car and van last night and we were doing 100kph, then the van pulled off and the car in front of me slowed down to 80, like they were afraid to be the lead car.

Not really. I mostly drive outside city centre.

But you do spend a fair bit of time on the M50, or as you called it, the 'free public car park', right?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101846771&postcount=18

Strange how you seem to have forgotten about all your time stuck on the car park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Anyone over 65 who still drives should be subject to a full medical every 2 years and a refreshing of the rules of the road, the amount of older drivers who still think its 1955 when there were only 5 other cars on the road- they indicate 1000m before the junction, they spend an age turning into streets and they are very unpredictable.

Drink drivers- cnuts every single last one of them.

People who text and drive deserve to die a slow horrible death when they hit the wall at 100mph.

Speeders- whats the fcuking rush? Whatever or whoever you want to speak to will still be there if you slow down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Anyone over 65 who still drives should be subject to a full medical every 2 years and a refreshing of the rules of the road, the amount of older drivers who still think its 1955 when there were only 5 other cars on the road- they indicate 1000m before the junction, they spend an age turning into streets and they are very unpredictable.

I think 65 is too young, 75 years of age for a medical every two years would make more sense I think....... most drivers in their 60s are OK, its the creaky old 75ers and overs that need a refresher course in driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

But you do spend a fair bit of time on the M50, or as you called it, the 'free public car park', right?

Strange how you seem to have forgotten about all your time stuck on the car park.
    Most people in the country are familiar with the M50, we all have to suffer it at least once a year, whether it's going to Dublin/going on holidays.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Not on main roads with a hard shoulder and a sign that says 100kph. I was following a car and van last night and we were doing 100kph, then the van pulled off and the car in front of me slowed down to 80, like they were afraid to be the lead car.

Ah I was just yanking your chain a little.

I know what you're talking about all too well. Drive at 80 in N roads, slow down to 65 for mild bends, keep going through 50 zones at 80, brake every time a car appears in the opposite lane and drive right up behind slower vehicles so there's no chance of leap-frogging them.

Classic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

Just reading the interpretation of the rules of the road by some of the drivers on here, I think every 3 years all drivers should be tested ,and given instructions on the timely use of indicators. :(

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Maybe it was out of hours and you were one of those looking begrudgingly at the driver in the bus lane not realising they weren't actually breaking any law? ;)

• Advertisement

Fcuk me man, you really are p..in the a... As is said in the quote you stated, I do spend only THIRD of my driving on m50, which is like 33,33333333....% of all my driving. Did I mention anywhere where I drive the rest of it ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

kbannon wrote: »
    Maybe it was out of hours and you were one of those looking begrudgingly at the driver in the bus lane not realising they weren't actually breaking any law? ;)

Shhhh.. it the only way to get about the city on the weekends..

Add to the list - people who slow me down by encouraging others to use the bus lanes off peek :)

Fcuk me man, you really are p..in the a...  As is said in the quote you stated, I do spend only THIRD of my driving on m50, which is like 33,33333333....% of all my driving. Did I mention anywhere where I drive the rest of it ???
    You describe it as a 'free public car park' and yet you claim to be unfamiliar with the scenario where cars are going at speeds slower than a cyclist could do. It doesn't add up man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-AndrewjRenko and Carpentry. Knock it off. Not thread banned but keep it up and it's the next step.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

After spending the Christmas period at home, I again lament the lack of an ability to turn left after stopping for a red light.
    I am now back in the land of civilised driving rules, in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭casscass4444

Johnny 4 pots.you know the ones who drive around with front fog lights on constantly."I'll leave these on if you don't mind,helps me see the road better and to be honest I don't care if they blind everyone I meet".id love to boot those fog lights clean out of their bumpers.
    The true blue brigade aswell.bright blue headlight bulbs in a clapped out civic that blind everyone on the road and scare every last animal out of the hedges.
    Last one is sitting in traffic and the selfish animal in front of you leaves their big fat foot down on the brake pedal blinding the person sitting behind them instead of just pulling the handbrake.
    Not alone is it driving the people behind you crazy,it's also a sure sign of a lazy clueless driver to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

After spending the Christmas period at home, I again lament the lack of an ability to turn left after stopping for a red light.

I see what you mean :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F69PnsdBK44

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

I totally agree with you. This rule is great at keeping the traffic moving....but can you imagine the chaos and confusion if we introduced it here in Ireland? :eek:

chewed wrote: »
    I totally agree with you. This rule is great at keeping the traffic moving....but can you imagine the chaos and confusion if we introduced it here in Ireland? :eek:

It's a problem for pedestrians.

No left filter usually means there's a green man for crossing. If you bring in left-on-red then you have to take protection away from pedestrians by, at best, allowing turning when nobody's crossing. Even with the best will, it's too much to expect drivers to see around corners, so this doesn't work.

Rules like this are the big difference between the US and here. Here (in theory at least...), pedestrians have priority - recognising that urban/built-up areas are there for people to live, work, enjoy themselves and interact in, rather than somewhere you drive through on your way between your TV and your work-desk.

Irritating road issue here? That so often driving is the more practical for getting to places that would be better accessed by public transport etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Blinded by brake lights? Perhaps with such light sensitive eyes you shouldn't be driving - after all if they're blinding you standing still, they're blinding you while moving too. Can't be driving blind can we? :P

On the subject of lighting - arseholes with ultrabright strobes on the front of their bikes. A rapidly flashing light stronger than a car's full beams is incredibly distracting. They're deadly if you meet one on a 2 way cycle lane as you're completely blinded (actually! ;) ) for a second or two after passing. Flashing lights improve visibility, but strobes are a fecking nightmare!

What really bugs me (today) c*ntbuckets who couldn't be arsed stopping at pedestrian lights  - twice this morning self absorbed morons drove through red lights as I was crossing, and I was inches away from being run over by such a muppet a couple of months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

Stop lines, STOP LINES, can drivers please educate themselves on what they are and how to use them. PLEASE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Drivers ahead tapping the brakes every 10 seconds on a clear road for no apparent reason. I'm talking wide single carriageway or motorway and like clockwork braking every few seconds.

Some people are behind cars and can't maintain a constant distance without braking, but the ones at the front of a queue braking every 10 seconds really baffle me?!?

Maybe you are driving far too close to them for safety... I do that then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

ScumLord wrote: »

Does not mean you HAVE to drive at 100k. I never do and never will..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭Johnboner

Johnny 4 pots.you know the ones who drive around with front fog lights on constantly."I'll leave these on if you don't mind,helps me see the road better and to be honest I don't care if they blind everyone I meet".id love to boot those fog lights clean out of their bumpers.
    The true blue brigade aswell.bright blue headlight bulbs in a clapped out civic that blind everyone on the road and scare every last animal out of the hedges.
    Last one is sitting in traffic and the selfish animal in front of you leaves their big fat foot down on the brake pedal blinding the person sitting behind them instead of just pulling the handbrake.
    Not alone is it driving the people behind you crazy,it's also a sure sign of a lazy clueless driver to me.

You need to go back to driving school yourself.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Does not mean you HAVE to drive at 100k. I never do and never will..

No, but you should be able to keep up with other traffic, and should not be causing obstruction to other road users by driving too far below the legal limit.

The "It's a limit not a target" line irritates, people fail their test if they can't drive at the limits correctly (given road conditions, type of road etc.), why does it cease to matter once someone passes? Excessive speed kills, correct speed should not, don't want to move fast? Walk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Failure to keep with traffic provided it's within the speed limit and conditions is called failure to make progress and you will fail your driving test over that. If you cannot control your car at 100kph in clear conditions on the motorway you should not be driving imo. It's only 60mph in old money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

RayM wrote: »
    Impatient people who flash their lights at me when I'm doing 100 km/h (which, quite frankly, is fast enough for anyone) in the fast lane on the M50.

it's for overtaking, there's two other lanes there for you to daydream in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

don't take the bait ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

don't take the bait ffs

He's kinda right, the "fast" lane is the over taking lane and not for driving in regardless of what speed you're doing. If you are in the overtaking lane and the traffic behind you is moving faster than you move to the lane to your left as soon as you can and let the faster traffic pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

One actually...

• Advertisement
Advertisement