Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road issues that irritate me.......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

grogi wrote: »
    One actually...

What M50 do you use?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

s15r330 wrote: »
    What M50 do you use?!

the same as everybody else. Lanes 2 and 3 are both overtaking lanes.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

grogi wrote: »
    One actually...

The lane in the middle is for 79.9kph only, for when the person on the right lane is going 80kph.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

the same as everybody else. Lanes 2 and 3 are both overtaking lanes.
    Pffft, anyone who uses the M50 in traffic knows that the best lane to be in for overtaking others is lane 1!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

love some of the rules in US e.g. the left after stopping at red but here we have drivers who just sail through red as though it were green, have no problem driving around a corner in our town even when light is red/no green arrow lighting and pedestrian man is obviously green, so i could never see a rule like that work here.

older drivers, definitely over 70's, need medicals every year and maybe a refresher course in driving also. i'm not singling out elderly only. many people in their 20's/30's etc could do with same refresher course.
    reason i mention 70+ is their reaction time. how do some elderly who can barely manage to walk around be expected to react suddenly when driving if needed? the actual things checked in a medical/patient history etc should all be taken into accoun. i'd even question whether every gp is really doing a full and thorough medical on a patient and not just ticking boxes on someone they know wants to hold on to their independance a while longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Graces7 wrote: »
    Does not mean you HAVE to drive at 100k. I never do and never will..

And that is grand, no problem.
    Just do not deliberately hold up other drivers.

Why Not?

Because you cannot know where they are going or why.

Is that driver you are impeding an on call Emergency Responder?
    Perhaps they are driving their own personal vehicle on their way to report at the Fire Station responding to a road accident or house fire? Maybe Life Boat crew or Mountain Rescue? Could they be an on call Doctor en route to a seriously ill person.....

Now , think again. Should Anyone deliberately impede another driver's progress?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

There is surely worse but for me the most maddening is coming up behind cars stopped at lights on a busy enough 2 lane each way non filter junction, you want to go straight through on green. The lead car stopped on the right hand side of the 2 lanes has no right indicator on so you assume they are going straight through on green. Wrong assumption because there is nothing surer than when the lights go green only then they choose to put on their right indicator screwing everyone in behind them. Acting completely oblivious. I'm sure some are oblivious but i'm convinced people do this on purpose.
    These people are close to the top of the list.

My default no matter what is to stop in the invariably longer queue on the left. Its longer for a reason, people on a regular route are wise to these offenders.

2 of the worst offending junctions of this on a regular route i take are consecutive junctions on the Northumberland road heading towards Merrion Square at the Haddington Rd junction and Clanwilliam place junction. Even when you happen to be stopped at the head of affairs on the right you always notice the car behind stopped about 2 car lenghts behind you smelling a rat ready for what they expect you to do to give them leverage to come out from behind you. I feel like waving them closer ''Yer alright im not one of them, im definitely going straight through''!.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭casscass4444

Johnboner wrote: »
    You need to go back to driving school yourself.

Says the lad driving a bike on small number plates so speed vans or greed vans as you call them yourself won't be able to catch you.good lad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Says the lad driving a bike on small number plates so speed vans or greed vans as you call them yourself won't be able to catch you.good lad

His thread was asking is that why people had small plates, not that he has a small plate. nice try tho

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Don't bring discussion from another thread to this one to make a point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Had three beauts today. The first two were on a roundabout no such thing as stop lines in there case just straight out onto it while there was traffic trying to exit at the next exit how the driver avoided both of them I'll never know. Beaut number 3 decided to stop and start reversing into parking space with no indication and had obviously not used her rear view mirror when I blew my horn at her I got the two fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Johnboner wrote: »
    You need to go back to driving school yourself.

I don't get what you're on about there.

Of the three things he mentioned, the first two are illegal and the third is definitely something a driving instructor would tell you to do (it would be called something like "failing to use primary controls" in a driving test)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Graces7 wrote: »
    Does not mean you HAVE to drive at 100k. I never do and never will..

If you think 100 is some kind if crazy, time and space bending speed then you're right. If you happen to live in 1917.
    If you do actually live in the present century and you are an able bodied person driving a car no more than 20 (or even something decent from 30-40 years ago) years old, 100 is barely cruising.
    I drove a Skoda the other day and 180 was cruising in that thing.
    So if you say "Jaysis, shlow down, we're going a MILE A MINUTE!!!!", maybe you are an unsure driver and maybe you need a refresher course.
    Just sayin'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

Johnny 4 pots.you know the ones who drive around with front fog lights on constantly."I'll leave these on if you don't mind,helps me see the road better and to be honest I don't care if they blind everyone I meet".id love to boot those fog lights clean out of their bumpers.
    The true blue brigade aswell.bright blue headlight bulbs in a clapped out civic that blind everyone on the road and scare every last animal out of the hedges.
    Last one is sitting in traffic and the selfish animal in front of you leaves their big fat foot down on the brake pedal blinding the person sitting behind them instead of just pulling the handbrake.
    Not alone is it driving the people behind you crazy,it's also a sure sign of a lazy clueless driver to me.

I drive automatic. Wife passed the test recently, was never told by the instructor to go into neutral gear and use hanbrake. Thats one thing.

Another thing is that cars like Mercs and Lexus have "leg handbrake", dont know how to call it, but you basically put/release brake pedal which is next to the gas pedal on the left using your foot. I know, parking brake its called. Cant imagine doing this every time I stop.

Another thing, indicators on the car in front of you, they can be more disturbing than brake lights, especially at night. What would you then ? Sunglasses after dark ?

Some things are unavoidable.

But not using indicators when turning, parking, rundabouts, taxis when stopping is the most fcuking annoying and dangerous thing.

All I want to do is to stop, brake the fcuking lever and stick in the moron's asre, or throat, even better.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

If I could pick just one issue it is the utter contempt for the Rules of the Road displayed by far too many members of An Garda Síochána.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Hermy wrote: »
    If I could pick just one issue it is the utter contempt for the Rules of the Road displayed by far too many members of An Garda Síochána.

A Garda Traffic Corps car passed me the other day with two Garda occupants in the front. Both were on their mobile phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Gardai are exempt in certain situations. Do not turn this in to a Garda bashing thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Drivers who come to a stop after the stop line, and who then can't see the green filter arrow when it appears . . .

Beep beep, well go on, you can turn now, beep beep ... they finally get the message (just as the green arrow goes out)!

Moral of the story > STOP behind the STOP line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Drivers who seem to expect a different shade of green at traffic lights. That green is the only one there is.....MOVE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

LordSutch wrote: »
    Drivers who come to a stop after the stop line, and who then can't see the green filter arrow when it appears . . .

Beep beep, well go on, you can turn now, beep beep ... they finally get the message (just as the green arrow goes out)!

Moral of the story > STOP behind the STOP line.

not exactly the same - but similar - ones who arrive at certain light controlled junctions and dont understand the flow of traffic - for example the lights at Merrion Sq E/ Mount St Lower/ Holles St.

Often those turning right into Holles St end up stopping in the middle of the junction as the lights change during the manoeuvre - they have already (legally) crossed the stop line and should proceed but end up parked in the middle of the lights. What happens next? Traffic starts coming "straight through" from Merrion East into Holles st.

Now admittedly that is one piss poor staggered junction and more should be done at is as nearly every change of lights leave some poor fecker looking confused (whether its pedestrians/ drivers half way through a turn etc)

Moral of the story > do not STOP when after the STOP line (if clear to proceed and legally crossed the stop line).

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PFL

I drive for work and honestly for me it's lack of progress on the roads and not using indicators - driving at 70KM in 100KM zone does not make you a safe driver, it shows you're not able to drive to the road conditions.

Not using indicators shows you're not paying attention or know the fundamentals of driving, it's an automatic action when making a turn and if you can't get that basic thing right, what happens in an emergency situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

PFL wrote: »
    I drive for work and honestly for me it's lack of progress on the roads and not using indicators - driving at 70KM in 100KM zone does not make you a safe driver, it shows you're not able to drive to the road conditions.

Not using indicators shows you're not paying attention or know the fundamentals of driving, it's an automatic action when making a turn and if you can't get that basic thing right, what happens in an emergency situation.

100% agree with you anyone who can't drive at the 100km speed limit on a clear dry straight road needs to go back a resit there test.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭casscass4444

90% of the drivers on the road don't use indicators.keep an eye out and you will notice it.its just that it's so common now you wouldn't notice it.
    Most road users are too selfish to think of others using the road and have their heads up their hxxxs and wouldn't dream of thinking of anyone but themselves.
    In the meantime the rest of us are left guessing what the fxxk it is they are planning to do.
    As for the "fast lane" saga,round here we call it the outside lane.you use it to overtake slower vehicles in front of you and having passed them you tuck back in to the inside lane immediately out of the way.it really is that simple

90% of the drivers on the road don't use indicators.keep an eye out and you will notice it.its just that it's so common now you wouldn't notice it.

ye - I don't even consider it an annoyance - just used to it these days.

Got pretty close to the back of a van this morning that parked up immediately after he made a left turn into side road. Confusingly he did indicate for the left, sped up then came to a sudden halt grrr..

(If I had hit him I know i would be at fault for being too close. But I wasn't and didnt!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Maybe mentioned earlier....

Motorists coming to a stop for lights in a line of vehicles but stop short by two, three maybe even four car lengths of the car in front. You stop behind the he/she then proceeds to creep forward while waiting for the line of traffic to move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

Idiots who pull up too far back from the stop line at traffic lights such that the road sensor does not detect their presence and fail to trigger the lights.

degsie wrote: »
    Idiots who pull up too far back from the stop line at traffic lights such that the road sensor does not detect their presence and fail to trigger the lights.

or funnier still - ones that go too far ahead! Sitting there like d!cks until someone turns up behind them.

EDIT: That should be under "Road issues that amuse me.."

The only thing that a flashing indicator tells you is that the bulb works!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

kbannon wrote: »
    The only thing that a flashing indicator tells you is that the bulb works!

Or that they are double parked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭duffman3833

Or that they are double parked.

or even when they are parked in the parking space but right up again the white line leaving you little space to get out of your car next to them cause there too lazy to park correctly

• Advertisement

or even when they are parked in the parking space but right up again the white line leaving you little space to get out of your car next to them cause there too lazy to park correctly

That really is annoying.
    Loads seem to have the idea that anywhere inside the lines is "good" parking.

I like places that have double sets of lines (blanchardstown centre comes to mind). They have the exact same width overall but having the lines closer together is a great little "nudge" for getting folks to park more considerably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

The non use of indicators would be my major gripe. In my world, an assassin would be waiting upon arrival of the offender. Wielding a machete, severs the arm, hands you a hook. Trump would be on board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Anyone over 65 who still drives should be subject to a full medical every 2 years and a refreshing of the rules of the road, the amount of older drivers who still think its 1955 when there were only 5 other cars on the road- they indicate 1000m before the junction, they spend an age turning into streets and they are very unpredictable.

Drink drivers- cnuts every single last one of them.

People who text and drive deserve to die a slow horrible death when they hit the wall at 100mph.

Speeders- whats the fcuking rush? Whatever or whoever you want to speak to will still be there if you slow down.

What about all the under 65s who don't understand speed limits, or keeping a safe distance from the car in front of you, and who think it's okay to speed across three lanes of the M50 at the last minute to get to their exit. Not to mention the many drivers who think the overtaking lane is the 'fast lane'. The vast majority of rude, inconsiderate and downright reckless driving on our roads certainly doesn't come from older people.
    Maybe everyone should be forced to take a refresher course on the rules of the road every couple of years. I'd far prefer to be stuck behind an elderly person driving slowly, than have my safety put at risk by some of the loons on the roads nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

Old Micra's, front fogs.... need I say more?

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

I always have a few of these printed off and in the car to fill out for people who park bad.

http://unspokenpictures.com/funny-bad-parking-form-checkbox-2/

:cool:

degsie wrote: »
    Old Micra's, front fogs.... need I say more?
    So bright, they can be seen from space...

ee61fff9fb1ef98e86b26f3b54682658.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Off Road vehicles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

Drivers who insist on driving forwards into parking spaces and then reverse back out into the traffic flow. Can't see f**k. Idiots.

If there was one sensible thing to gain penalty points, that'd be it.

Then people who drive up your arse, when you go to reverse into a parking space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭durtybit

astrofool wrote: »
    I think this is where road etiquette comes in, and the cyclists should switch to single file to allow traffic through at regular intervals, just as a farmer driving a tractor should, and just as a car will give way to other cars.

This also means it can happen when safe to do so, and reduces the risk of an accident by the idiot who was beeping you and then braking heavily in front of you. Yes you were technically in the right, but did you have to risk a crash to prove your point? Same idiot will just do the same next week, had you gone single file, that idiot may learn something about road etiquette themselves and be more allowing of cyclists the following week.

You may be lacking in the knowledge of what etiquette means

No. 182 of 1997 “ROAD TRAFFIC (TRAFFIC AND PARKING) REGULATIONS, 1997” Overtaking 10. (1) A driver shall not overtake, or attempt to overtake, if to do so would endanger, or cause inconvenience to, any other person. (2) A driver shall not overtake, or attempt to overtake, unless the roadway ahead of the driver— ( a ) is free from approaching traffic,

"free from approaching traffic" means if there is one or 2 cyclists this would not matter as you would have to wait until traffic is clear which also means you would have the whole of the other lane to pass.

Its also a lesser distance to pass 2 cyclists side by side than in single file

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

astrofool wrote: »
    I think this is where road etiquette comes in, and the cyclists should switch to single file to allow traffic through at regular intervals, just as a farmer driving a tractor should, and just as a car will give way to other cars.

This also means it can happen when safe to do so, and reduces the risk of an accident by the idiot who was beeping you and then braking heavily in front of you. Yes you were technically in the right, but did you have to risk a crash to prove your point? Same idiot will just do the same next week, had you gone single file, that idiot may learn something about road etiquette themselves and be more allowing of cyclists the following week.

I can't speak for cycling two abreast as I always cycle on my own, BUT - having grown up in Germany and cycling there for as long as I can remember, I did when I first started cycling here follow German road etiquette and would move as far as possible to the kerb whenever there was a car passing me.

I stopped doing that here after about a week. Doing that here results in a significant number of cars FOLLOWING you into the kerb, in what I can only assume is a deliberate attempt at making me fall of my bike.
    So now when I hear a car approaching I actually move away from the kerb and into the road, giving me a buffer safety zone.
    It may not be polite to the other 99% of drivers who do overtake safely and now have to move out further, but it gives me better odds at surviving the nutcases. Sorry.

• Advertisement

Also, this.

Shenshen wrote: »
    Also, this.

I don't get why there are such complaints about this.

You should go the limit on roads that can handle it, but also have the sense to understand that on narrow L/R roads you have to use your own judgment. This will be based not just on the road, but also the type and condition of your vehicle.

What's the alternative? A detailed study of every bit of road, with speed limits changing every few hundred metres?

Limits are assigned by type, to do otherwise would be impractical.

NiallBoo wrote: »
    I don't get why there are such complaints about this.

You should go the limit on roads that can handle it, but also have the sense to understand that on narrow L/R roads you have to use your own judgment. This will be based not just on the road, but also the type and condition of your vehicle.

What's the alternative? A detailed study of every bit of road, with speed limits changing every few hundred metres?

Limits are assigned by type, to do otherwise would be impractical.

Well, to follow that thought, surly someone must have at some point looked at that road to assign it a type?
    And someone must have put that sign up - seems a waste of money putting up a sign for a limit that nobody in their right mind would ever get close to anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Well, to follow that thought, surly someone must have at some point looked at that road to assign it a type?
    And someone must have put that sign up - seems a waste of money putting up a sign for a limit that nobody in their right mind would ever get close to anyway.

or more likely it has been dumped into a.n.other and assigned a default limit with the assumption that people will use their common sense.

ETA after a quick check it appears that 80KMH is the default speed limit for non-national roads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

It will have been designated either an R (regional) or L (local) road, and as been given the general speed limit for roads of this type, 80kph.

Turn the camera 180 degrees on that Streetview and you will see that the road is leading out of a built-up area. One with a lower speed limit, more than likely. That's why the 80 kph sign was erected, to mark the end of the built-up speed limit.

As always, it's a limit, not a target. You should drive the speed suitable for the road conditions.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

ken wrote: »
    Mod-Gardai are exempt in certain situations. Do not turn this in to a Garda bashing thread

Ken, I don't mean to throw stones at the Gardaí for the sake of picking an easy target. The fact is most road users, myself included, display contempt or ignorance of road safety at one time or another whether on foot, on two wheels or more.

But the job of An Garda Síochána is to enforce the law. It's also their job to attend the scene of an accident so they know better than most the right thing to do on the road and what happens when things go wrong. And if they lead by example that sets the standard for the rest of us.

But far too many of them show utter contempt for road safety, not using indicators, texting while driving and just generally not bothering to do the basics right. And if that's their attitude what hope for the rest us.

Genealogy Forum Mod

You'd expect it to be a L road.

You need to put signs up because the limit there will just have changed from something else.

The thing is that these roads vary hugely. There might be a narrow stretch like that, followed by a stretch where 80 is fine 200m later, followed by another narrow stretch, etc. etc.

maudgonner wrote: »
    As always, it's a limit, not a target.

This is a statement that really divides people; it's too black and white.

It would be better to say that you should drive at the (quickest*) speed suitable to the road/vehicle/conditions or to the speed limit - whichever one is slower.

Or in other words - the limit should be a target, unless there's a reason it shouldn't.

*out of consideration to other road users

NiallBoo wrote: »
    You'd expect it to be a L road.

You need to put signs up because the limit there will just have changed from something else.

The thing is that these roads vary hugely. There might be a narrow stretch like that, followed by a stretch where 80 is fine 200m later, followed by another narrow stretch, etc. etc.

I would have expected that, yes.
    I was driving down it two days ago, the limit did change up from 50, but you'd have to know the road like the back of your hand and be in possession of a crystal ball or a contraption to see around corners to go even that fast. There was no point along the road where I would have gone above 40 kph - what google maps don't show is the gradient, it's very steep as well as being very narrow.

• Advertisement

I would have expected that, yes.
    I was driving down it two days ago, the limit did change up from 50, but you'd have to know the road like the back of your hand and be in possession of a crystal ball or a contraption to see around corners to go even that fast. There was no point along the road where I would have gone above 40 kph - what google maps don't show is the gradient, it's very steep as well as being very narrow.

So don't go 80, or 50. Happy days.

The fact remains that you can't waste effort assigning an individual limit for every little bit of the 100,000km of our road network - 78,000km of which are L roads.

Advertisement