Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road issues that irritate me.......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

maudgonner wrote: »
    Yes, and that article has advice from the AA that makes the same mistake:
    Surely it's the idiot writing the article that made that mistake? Break fast :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

You know a thread is dying a death when 2 pages are spent discussing a spelling mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Incorrectly installed headlight bulbs that blind the sh1te out of other road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Incorrectly installed headlight bulbs that blind the sh1te out of other road users.

Xenon headlights that are as powerful as landing lights on a jet even on low beam !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

If you strike someone or a stationary vehicle driving on the hard shoulder on either a motorway or primary road your insurance will wash their hands of you
    Furthermore a truck pulling in to let you pass when clearly you should wait until you can pass without the truck pulling in .
    It may have to pull out suddenly if a vehicle appears as it pulls out of a minor road junction which is inherently dangerous
    Hard shoulders are not to be driven on and are designed to facilitate people to pull in and stop .

Yeah, but it's not illegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

When someone is up your hole and when you pull in to leave them pass, they take forever to pass you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Yeah, but it's not illegal.

Will you get a ticket from a Garda if you drive on the hard shoulder on a primary road ?
    Can one drive on the hard shoulder if there is a traffic jam and one is not turning left further up the road ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Will you get a ticket from a Garda if you drive on the hard shoulder on a primary road ?
    Can one drive on the hard shoulder if there is a traffic jam and one is not turning left further up the road ?

A: Not sure, they may not like it when you drive on it for miles on end
    B: Absolutely. The Gards are regularly waiting at the end of the N21 just before Adare, where people pass the usual several km long traffic jam into Adare and the "remember" they wanted to go straight all along. And only bloody right for arseholes like that.

But it is OK to briefly move into the hard shoulder to let someone pass. Except on the motorway where the only reason anyone should being the hard shoulder is because their engine has expired in a cloud of smoke and a shower of cogs and springs. Not for a fag break, not to answer the phone, admire the scenery, p*ss over the guard rail, contemplate the endlessness of the cosmos, etc. That is properly dangerous and idiotic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Same here :) Who has time for reading links?

Fair enough - then try to avoid commenting on the posts that include those links if you don't have time to read them.
    Sam Kade wrote: »
    Surely it's the idiot writing the article that made that mistake? Break fast :D

Who knows? Many journalists today are cut/paste jockeys who are delighted to have folks like the AA write their articles for them, so it could well have come directly from the AA.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Angel Crow

People who turn left at straight green arrows.

People who beep at others who don't turn left at straight green arrows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but it's worth a second mention anyway - People who indicate DURING the maneuver, what f***ing use is that to anyone?!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

Drivers who still wait for the green right filter although the 'main' green is on AND there is a safe gap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭derekbro

Angel Crow wrote: »
    People who turn left at straight green arrows.

People who beep at others who don't turn left at straight green arrows.

Turning right too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Anyone who ever waves anyone else on.

Its so dangerous.

Particularly anyone who waves a pedestrian on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

Glenster wrote: »
    Anyone who ever waves anyone else on.

Its so dangerous.

Particularly anyone who waves a pedestrian on.

I will give them space but will not wave them on or flash them on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

degsie wrote: »
    Drivers who still wait for the green right filter although the 'main' green is on AND there is a safe gap.

Yes, this p1sses me off big time. Even if you lightly beep them, they stay put.

What is it? Do they really think that MUST wait for the green arrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Yes, this p1sses me off big time. Even if you lightly beep them, they stay put.

What is it? Do they really think that MUST wait for the green arrow?

in some junctions - yes you must wait for the green arrow - I've been caught out and left stuck in such a junction when the green arrow hasn't come on and the green light has gone off. Yet the oncoming traffic still have a green leaving me trapped in the junction.

Bad light design though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Chakra Khan

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but it's worth a second mention anyway - People who indicate DURING the maneuver, what f***ing use is that to anyone?!?!
    It's worth a third mention even, its absolutely ludicrous.  And they are genuinely perplexed as to why you might be beeping them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Another one - drivers who stop at a red light in a junction blocking the way for people with a green light. Most frequently seen when at T-junctions when cars turning right have a green filter & the first person in line drives in to the junction but stops at the red light meant for the cars travelling straight on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Kamili wrote: »
    in some junctions - yes you must wait for the green arrow - I've been caught out and left stuck in such a junction when the green arrow hasn't come on and the green light has gone off. Yet the oncoming traffic still have a green leaving me trapped in the junction.

Bad light design though.

The lack of understand of junctions/ here is a little worrying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

degsie wrote: »

Never mind a safe gap, I've been behind cars sitting with a green light and not an oncoming car in sight but because they know theres a filter light they won't move until they see that light. How do they cope with turning right where there isn't a filter light??

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Never mind a safe gap, I've been behind cars sitting with a green light and not an oncoming car in sight but because they know theres a filter light they won't move until they see that light. How do they cope with turning right where there isn't a filter light??

............and in some cases the right filter light will never come on unless the car moves, on the main green, over the induction strips in the centre of the junction, which trigger the filter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭duffman3833

Probably mentioned already
    the lack of courtesy of slow drivers, especially larger slow vehicles like tractors, lorry's, caravans etc who refuse to pull over to allow cars to pass safely on country road when there were many chances to pull in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

I think they get some enjoyment from it!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭bitburger

I always find it gas that although Dublin houses one of the biggest motorways in the country, the further away from Dublin you get in any direction people just have more of an idea how to actually use the motorway and what the rules are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

There is a special place in hell for people who hit the car next to them when opening their door to get out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

People who are not spatially aware

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

bitburger wrote: »
    I always find it gas that although Dublin houses one of the biggest motorways in the country, the further away from Dublin you get in any direction people just have more of an idea how to actually use the motorway and what the rules are.

Only until you get near Cork, then all bets are off.

Parchment wrote: »
    There is a special place in hell for people who hit the car next to them when opening their door to get out.

Na, that's a parking issue, doesn't count ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Local habits:
    There's a series of roundabouts leading in to Shannon where people just lose the run of themselves. I'd swear these people drive normally everywhere else, but it seams normal for people to turn right (third exit) when entering from the left lane and to turn left (first exit) from the right lane. Mostly just to avoid traffic, but it causes a serious amount of accidents and infuriates the people that do queue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Idiot's who are not capable of understanding that a sign displaying the no right turn means just that. They really are a special kind of stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭FionnK86

When people use the 'right' indicator when taking an exit before 12pm. One of the lads uses it, when the first exit is at 9pm and second is at 12pm. Wanted someone to hit him from behind to prove him wrong.

FionnK86 wrote: »
    When people use the 'right' indicator when taking an exit before 12pm. One of the lads uses it, when the first exit is at 9pm and second is at 12pm. Wanted someone to hit him from behind to prove him wrong.

Missus calls that 'An Irish Right'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

People going straight on at a roundabout who don't indicate left before they exit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

When you're driving along at the speed limit or close to it, there's a gap to the car ahead of you and you can see a car at a t junction up ahead that's turning into your lane. Said car turns, causing you to slow down (sometimes drastically) then proceeds to drive at a speed slower than you were driving!!! Drives me insane and so dangerous.

Also a car driving along in, for example, a 100km/hr zone driving at 60 or 70. Then some absolute pillock behind him/her either wont overtake when possible or wont leave space for someone to overtake him/her and then overtake the car ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,299 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

White "Eir" vans parked on the hard shoulder that people think are Speed Vans!
    And stick on the brakes even though they're nowhere near the speed limit!

Fux Sake! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

PhoneMain wrote: »
    When you're driving along at the speed limit or close to it, there's a gap to the car ahead of you and you can see a car at a t junction up ahead that's turning into your lane. Said car turns, causing you to slow down (sometimes drastically) then proceeds to drive at a speed slower than you were driving!!! Drives me insane and so dangerous.

Also a car driving along in, for example, a 100km/hr zone driving at 60 or 70. Then some absolute pillock behind him/her either wont overtake when possible or wont leave space for someone to overtake him/her and then overtake the car ahead.

Assuring you that we slower drivers are not all like that. I always pull in to let anyone behind me pass.Always. The only time i cannot is when they are driving so close it is literally impossible to pull off safely. Especially on rural roads.
    NB truck drivers always flash THANK YOU when I pull in for them; cars rarely.

Graces7 wrote: »
    The only time i cannot is when they are driving so close it is literally impossible to pull off safely. Especially on rural roads.

Don't they back off when you start indicating?

And even more so when you start braking?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 171 ✭✭Gavinz

I'm on an N plate.

So, people who drive up my arse when I'm exactly at the speed limit but won't overtake.

**** off cnut. I don't have enough points to be accommodating you.

Leave earlier if you're in a rush.

• Advertisement

Gavinz wrote: »
    I'm on an N plate.

So, people who drive up my arse when I'm exactly at the speed limit but won't overtake.

It's nothing to do with the N plate.

This will happen throughout your driving days and no matter what speed you're going.

The only thing that might change is learning to not get annoyed by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Danjamin1 wrote: »

Amen.

We need an EU directive to move all indicators from the sterring column to reduce that habit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 171 ✭✭Gavinz

NiallBoo wrote: »
    It's nothing to do with the N plate.

This will happen throughout your driving days and no matter what speed you're going.

The only thing that might change is learning to not get annoyed by it.

I don't really get annoyed by it. It's more that I just don't understand it.

Just overtake me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

When someone coming towards me on a very narrow road thinks that by pulling in their wing mirror somehow makes their whole car narrower and then continue at the same speed when passing me.

I don't really get annoyed by it. It's more that I just don't understand it.

Just overtake me.

Fair enough,

I don't get it either, it's never helpful.

Often slower drivers are nervous drivers and driving up their årse just makes them more nervous and go even slower.

Usually it's so close that you can't build up speed for overtaking. Pointless because you can only overtake on rare chances anyway.

Not to mention unsafe...

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭bitburger

Shenshen wrote: »
    Only until you get near Cork, then all bets are off.

I dunno man, I spent a year in Cork City a few years back

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭Johnboner

NiallBoo wrote: »
    Fair enough,

I don't get it either, it's never helpful.

Often slower drivers are nervous drivers and driving up their årse just makes them more nervous and go even slower.

Usually it's so close that you can't build up speed for overtaking. Pointless because you can only overtake on rare chances anyway.

Not to mention unsafe...

It is done as a punishment for slow drivers mostly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I'm on an N plate.

I few sudden taps on the brake will soften their cough....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

don't brake check or condone brake checking ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

Drivers who think that seeing an L plate gives them permission to bully an already nervous new driver.

• Advertisement
Advertisement