Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road issues that irritate me.......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Drivers who think that seeing an L plate gives them permission to bully an already nervous new driver.

Ouch!! Does this happen? I haven't been an L plate driver for almost 50 years.

Does this happen? How is it done?

Have you personal experience of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

I've seen it happen that moronic drivers would beep at learners, if they conk out at lights, or some will drive around them, which can only add to panic, if the learner is nervous. I'm sure such morons will tailgate as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Trebor176 wrote: »
    I've seen it happen that moronic drivers would beep at learners, if they conk out at lights, or some will drive around them, which can only add to panic, if the learner is nervous. I'm sure such morons will tailgate as well.

Yes I often got beeped at if I conked out at lights when I had L plates. Also got beeped at if I didn't go the second the light turns green. On the rare occasion I do conk out these days (usually in my Mothers car!) I never get beeped at.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Cyclists who switch from road to path for their own convenience and expect pedestrians to move out of their way. Learner or nervous cyclists who respect pedestrians right of way - no problem even though it is illegal - but experienced cyclists should know better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Just this morning I was driving my partners Yaris to the NCT centre. The amount of people tailgating me was unreal. And it doesn't have N or L plates either. I rarely get tailgated in my own car, an Avensis.

What the mugs don't expect though, is a small car with good quality tyres and an experienced driver. So when one lad tried a power undertake using a 24 hour bus lane, he didn't expect to almost collide with a traffic island up ahead where the bus lane ends.;)

pablo128 wrote: »
    Just this morning I was driving my partners Yaris to the NCT centre. The amount of people tailgating me was unreal. And it doesn't have N or L plates either. I rarely get tailgated in my own car, an Avensis.

What the mugs don't expect though, is a small car with good quality tyres and an experienced driver. So when one lad tried a power undertake using a 24 hour bus lane, he didn't expect to almost collide with a traffic island up ahead where the bus lane ends.;)

The Yaris seems to have taken over the title of 'galloping maggot' which was previously held by the old Morris Minor. There's nothing much wrong with the Yaris but they do seem to attract slow drivers for the most part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

railer201 wrote: »
    The Yaris seems to have taken over the title of 'galloping maggot' which was previously held by the old Morris Minor. There's nothing much wrong with the Yaris but they do seem to attract slow drivers for the most part.

I was genuinely driving at roughly 10mph over the speed limit most of the journey which is all straight stretches of road. From the top end of Tallaght along that outer ring road to the Fonthill NCT centre. I get what you're saying but some people have a superiority complex behind the wheel.

I was genuinely driving at roughly 10mph over the speed limit most of the journey which is all straight stretches of road. From the top end of Tallaght along that outer ring road to the Fonthill NCT centre. I get what you're saying but some people have a superiority complex behind the wheel.

Superiority complex sums it up ok and obviously something about the Yaris which attracts tailgating. I used to own one - a good solid reliable car. Most drivers cleared off after I jammed on, if they didn't then I slowly dropped off the speed 'til they got pi$$ed off and overtook. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Cyclists who switch from road to path for their own convenience and expect pedestrians to move out of their way. Learner or nervous cyclists who respect pedestrians right of way - no problem even though it is illegal - but experienced cyclists should know better.

Insightful response from one UK police force to this issue;

https://twitter.com/MPSCamdenTnSgt/status/819199668991229953

Insightful response from one UK police force to this issue;

https://twitter.com/MPSCamdenTnSgt/status/819199668991229953

Making footpaths dangerous for pedestrians in turn is not the answer.

Twice in the last week cyclists have expected me to jump out of their way, first had a fully operational cycling lane two feet away from him on the Malahide road , the second today just wanted to skip a set of traffic lights on the Tonlegee Road. Cycling on footpaths is endemic in this area and tbh I don't really mind if cyclists just show respect to pedestrians and give way accordingly.

• Advertisement

Making footpaths dangerous for pedestrians in turn is not the answer.
    I think you've missed the point.

I think you've missed the point.

If you were to read my post before responding you would glean that the issue is neither the condition of the roads or even cycling on footpaths per se, rather the expectation on the part of cyclists that pedestrians should give way to them. Primrose Hill and the police and dangerous road conditions have no relevance to my post.

If you were to read my post before responding you would glean that the issue is neither the condition of the roads or even cycling on footpaths per se, rather the expectation on the part of cyclists that pedestrians should give way to them. Primrose Hill and the police and dangerous road conditions have no relevance to my post.

Apologies, my error - I didn't realise that you were telepathic and able to read the minds of the cyclists in question to understand exactly why they chose the pavement over the road.

Apologies, my error - I didn't realise that you were telepathic and able to read the minds of the cyclists in question to understand exactly why they chose the pavement over the road.

Perhaps it's because I live in the area and cycle those routes daily. Experienced cyclists like myself have no problem with the roads in my local area - footpaths are for pedestrians. Cyclists who expect pedestrians to jump out of their way whilst riding on footpaths have some cheek and their apologists, whether obliquely or otherwise, are not much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭alfaromeo84

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Using the brake instead of just decelerating in time

The brake is for emergencies or bringing a car to a stop

Oddly this is mainly due to the car not decelerating enough when you come off the pedal. My own car is pretty bad that way, and the garage said it's due the the flywheel being lightened, so that the engine has less mass to spin up on accelerating, it give the impression of sportiness.

Equally it also means that it doesn't retard enough when you come off accelerating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

What annoys me driving in my town is the fact it's hilly and there's people who will brake from the top of the town the whole way down until they get to the bridge. How hard is it to pick the correct gear and simply drive instead of going "oh no,I'm going downhill, I must keep my foot on the brake until I reach the bottom ".

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Yeah, I get the same stuff when I drive the missus' Fiesta. Had some lad in a Passat come up to tailgate me while I was overtaking two trucks in the overtaking lane at around 120-130kmph. He started flashing the lights like I had somewhere to pull in while I was overtaking. He was on the receiving end of a middle finger through the back and side windows respectively.

Had another lad in a BMW trying to speed ahead of my GTC Astra yesterday at the traffic lights coming up to DPT - that guy ate dust. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

What's with those drivers who, while stopped at a red light, inch forward slowly until they're almost in the middle of the junction by the time the light turns green?
    And, even worse, when the light does turn green they sit there for 10-15 seconds before taking off!!?! F*cktards!!! :mad:

Perhaps it's because I live in the area and cycle those routes daily. Experienced cyclists like myself have no problem with the roads in my local area - footpaths are for pedestrians. Cyclists who expect pedestrians to jump out of their way whilst riding on footpaths have some cheek and their apologists, whether obliquely or otherwise, are not much better.

I'm not quite sure how you can tell experienced cyclists from others, just by their appearance? Experience is not necessarily linked ot skill or to assertiveness, more importantly.

As it happens, I agree with a lot of what you say, that footpaths are for pedestrians, and that if in rare occasions, cyclists do use the footpath, they should give way to pedestrians.

I'm not apologising for such behaviour. I'm pointing out that if you don't look for the root cause as to why some cyclists feel unsafe on the road, you're never going to solve the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Why does every second car now seem to be fitted with retina shearing blue lights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Cyclists who refuse to use a perfectly good cycle lane to the left of them and instead cause a tail back on the road with their nonsense.

Cyclists who refuse to use a perfectly good cycle lane to the left of them and instead cause a tail back on the road with their nonsense.

Could you give a couple of examples of where these 'perfectly good cycle lanes' are, please?

Could you give a couple of examples of where these 'perfectly good cycle lanes' are, please?

Let me guess, you are a cyclist and they are not good enough for you, so on the road you go and delay everyone else.

BTW, they are in D15 near Carpenterstown.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

But if the cycle lanes were that good, surely they would be used.
    The fact that cyclists opt to cycle closer to traffic is decided for a reason! Maybe take a moment to guess why!

Let me guess, you are a cyclist and they are not good enough for you, so on the road you go and delay everyone else.

Could you be specific please? Like a named road, or better still, a link on Google Maps to the exact ones?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    The cyclists hover on this thread always coiled to pounce :D

Yep. They are never happy. Always thinking no cycle path is good enough for them.

To the Two cyclists who responded to me.

Cycle up there. (On the cycle path) then see.

Stop delaying people to and from work.

Yep. They are never happy. Always thinking no cycle path is good enough for them.

But you're still not prepared to identify where specifically are the 'perfectly good cycle lanes' that you were talking about?

It might surprise you to know that the cyclists are going to and from work too. And it might surprise you to know that they are delayed by cars a lot more than you are delayed by bikes. In fact, if you think that being delayed by bikes is a significant traffic problem, you need to improve your observation.

Just look around you, man. What kind of road user is most often in front of you , slowing you down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

mikeymouse wrote: »
    If merging from a slip road ie. at speed. then you either move out or slow down to let them on.
    If they are joining from a standstill , they must wait and not cause you to hit the brakes.

This is so wrong it's not funny. It's up to the person who is merging to get up to speed and join the traffic safely. It's not the "already moving" traffic that slows down to allow them to merge.

Christ on a bike...if I'm driving at 120 on the inside (driving) lane on a motorway I shouldn't have to move out or slow down because some dope can't judge his speed and join the motorway safely.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

So because you are unable to form a coherent and logical defence to our posts you persist with more immature comments?
    Well done you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

mfceiling wrote: »
    This is so wrong it's not funny. It's up to the person who is merging to get up to speed and join the traffic safely. It's not the "already moving" traffic that slows down to allow them to merge.

Christ on a bike...if I'm driving at 120 on the inside (driving) lane on a motorway I shouldn't have to move out or slow down because some dope can't judge his speed and join the motorway safely.

Would you expect a truck to
    get up to 120kph on a uphill slip road ?

It's up to the person who is merging to get up to speed and join the traffic safely. It's not the "already moving" traffic that slows down to allow them to merge.
    That's exactly what's wrong on irish motorways.
    What would you do if a car was matching your speed and trying to merge?
    Would you not move out and let it on?
    Probably not , it is your bit of road after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

Drivers who have stopped in the hard shoulder of a dual carriageway or motorway and want to rejoin traffic. FFS build up your speed in the hard shoulder FIRST and then indicate you wish to join traffic. Don't just saunter and then lazily indicate to merge as if it is your god given right to join at a much slower speed than is safe. Idiots!

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Motorists, and even Pedestrians, have been slated on this thread and it's taken on the chin but any hint of criticism towards a Cyclist and they get their lycra in a twist over it! Hilarious really. :D

kbannon wrote: »
    So because you are unable to form a coherent and logical defence to our posts you persist with more immature comments?
    Well done you!

Thank you for the personal attack. This the typical response to those who criticize cyclists?

But you're still not prepared to identify where specifically are the 'perfectly good cycle lanes' that you were talking about?

It might surprise you to know that the cyclists are going to and from work too. And it might surprise you to know that they are delayed by cars a lot more than you are delayed by bikes. In fact, if you think that being delayed by bikes is a significant traffic problem, you need to improve your observation.

Just look around you, man. What kind of road user is most often in front of you , slowing you down?

My god, ive never seen so much BS in a post in a while, and ive been following the Trump thread.

It might surprise you, that you do not own the road and do not have the right to delay the flow of traffic with your slow inconsistent peddling when a perfectly good cycle path is available.

All cyclist should be fined for using the road when a cycle path is available, no excuses.

I have no need to 'identify' the exact location, you have the internet, google Carpenterstown and have a look yourself, im not your servant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I live in carpenterstown and have never seen these tailbacks caused by cyclists. When / where do they occur most?

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I live in carpenterstown and have never seen these massive tailbacks. When / where do they occur most?

Behind you, you're causing them on your lil bicycle! :pac:

I live in carpenterstown and have never seen these tailbacks caused by cyclists. When / where do they occur most?

Right by Riverwood roundabouts. Two cyclists every morning in snot green outfits.

Right by Riverwood roundabouts. Two cyclists every morning in snot green outfits.

Interesting. I cycle this way every morning through Riverwood and don't see these tailbacks. It's at the height of rush hour. Maybe I'll keep an eye out tomorrow morning.

Mind you, with the chronic congestion caused by cars in the area maybe there's other causatitaive issues than these non existent tail backs caused by two cyclists?

My own road issues that irritate me in the area include the rampant anti-social parking around the schools, particularly at St Patricks - no end of mentioning this in school news letters seem to be able to sort this out. Gardai have had to be called to sort out disputes between people who seem to be unable to park without irritating / impeding the inhabitants of the estates near the school.

Or what about the areas in Riverwood they had to erect physical barriers to stop motorists skipping across green areas, wrecking a public amenity for the sake of a few minutes to drive the proper way around the estate?

Similarly, people seem to be magically attracted to parking at the gate to Tír Na Nóg, despite big signs that state emergency access is required and requesting that people don't park there. And the local playing pitches at porterstown are also plagued by dangerous and inconsiderately parked cars at the weekend. The cycle lane leading to this turns into a car park.

But hey, the problem is with two guys on bikes? Sure.

But hey, the problem is with two guys on bikes? Sure.

Yes it is in the morning time.

• Advertisement

Yes it is in the morning time.

This must be a regular occurrence for it to annoy you so much - what time and at what roundabout? There's several roundabouts in Riverwood - it's a relatively big area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Stravos Murphy

Right angles corners, they are too right angled.

This must be a regular occurrence for it to annoy you so much - what time and at what roundabout? There's several roundabouts in Riverwood - it's a relatively big area.

So do you use the cycle path or road?

So do you use the cycle path or road?

Depends. As you know, the cycle lane doesn't extend all the way around the Riverwood estate. I cycle with my son to the primary school, so I'll use the cycle lane before dropping and continuing on the road to the city centre - there's no cycle lane from there until you pick up the Phoenix park. In the mornings it's quite busy with school kids, people walking dogs, jogging etc in the bike lane so whereas it's okay for me and my son, if I'm on my own, I'll use the road.

Depends. As you know, the cycle lane doesn't extend all the way around the Riverwood estate. I cycle with my son to the primary school, so I'll use the cycle lane before dropping and continuing on the road to the city centre - there's no cycle lane from there until you pick up the Phoenix park. In the mornings it's quite busy with school kids, people walking dogs, jogging etc in the bike lane so whereas it's okay for me and my son, if I'm on my own, I'll use the road.

There is plans to extend that cycle lane around the riverwood entrance for the 20mtre gap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I cycle to work and on occasion take the car when there weather calls for it. So I see it from both sides.

There are some cycle lanes on my journey that I refuse to use because they are in such poor condition. I'm not putting myself at risk of injury so I use the road.

In fact I've had arguments with senior traffic engineers that have signed off on companies that have left the cycle lane in p1ss poor condition. Irish Water have wrecked the roads around my area and even after multiple complaints the roads are worse than ever. Nothing has been done to fix the damage.

Rarely do I ever see cycle lanes get resurfaced, so they are left to literally crumble and go to sh*t. Yet at the same time the adjoining roads get resurfaced every few years.

As as cyclist, I don't understand the mentality of drivers that over take me at speed in a long line of traffic, only to come to a complete stop a few meters in front of me. As an added bonus, they then proceed to pull as far left to the side of road as if to make a point to not let me past. *sigh* Idiots.
    My god, ive never seen so much BS in a post in a while, and ive been following the Trump thread.

It might surprise you, that you do not own the road and do not have the right to delay the flow of traffic with your slow inconsistent peddling when a perfectly good cycle path is available.

All cyclist should be fined for using the road when a cycle path is available, no excuses.

I have no need to 'identify' the exact location, you have the internet, google Carpenterstown and have a look yourself, im not your servant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

In a line of traffic yesterday evening, was overtaken by a, ahem, "Car Enthusiast," cutting in front of me and then tailgating the next car. He/She proceeded to overtake the cars in front, cue brakelights all down the line. Then another "car enthusiast," obviously chasing after his mate, overtakes me and proceeds to follow the same route.

This isn't what irritated me.

What irritated me was Mr. "Look at me, amn't I a sound lad," who came along flashing all and sundry to warn that there was speed cam van up ahead.

If those kids had got caught driving dangerously and accumulated a few points and maybe learned a lesson, it may have changed their behavior, maybe saved their lives or other innocent lives in the near future.

But no.

Because Mr Sound Lad had to flash them a nudge nudge wink wink warning so they slowed for 200 yards and then hit the accelerator again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

What irritated me was Mr. "Look at me, amn't I a sound lad," who came along flashing all and sundry to warn that there was speed cam van up ahead.

That was me. Fuq speed vans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

Right angles corners, they are too right angled.

Took a lot of smart people to come up with right angled corners, apparently they had 90 degrees between them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Driving in the dark with no lights.......the amount of people who drive around after dark with no lights on is scary!! Do they not realised that their instrument cluster does not display the headlight symbol or can they even understand the displays!

Cyclists and red lights......Heading past Connolly station, passsd the Luas tracks and stopped at red lights between the IFSC and Busaras, 3 cyclists go by and one neary gets run over by a van coming from the right, the little suicide jockey then gives out to the van for not seeing him.....am I missing something here or red lights the new green??

What are your most irritating road issues?

Ah come off it - I drive for approx 2 hours every day and can't remember the last time I met a car driving in the dark without lights. What part of the country are you in as I don't see it in Dublin/ Meath / Louth ?

Advertisement