Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road issues that irritate me.......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

The attitude to roundabouts in my town. I don't just use caution I use extreme caution because there is always some twonk zooming through without looking, or in the wrong lane and not indicating. It now explains why my car insurance went up when I moved here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

I honestly don't get it- people who flash their full beams on a motorway when there's nothing actually wrong.

I was coming home on the M50 yesterday and at one point the car behind me turned on his full beams then after a few seconds turned them off. No worries says I, he must have hit it by accident.
    A little further up the road and they flash on again. At this stage I'm thinking he must be trying to tell me something so I look around to make sure I hadn't somehow left my lights off- nope. I'm then thinking maybe my rear lights haven't come on for some reason.
    Cue a third flash and I'm thinking maybe I should pull in on the hard shoulder and check my lights. Eventually the traffic thins out and I get up to 100kph but I can see he's moving further and further back.... sticking to 80kpn or less. When I get home I get out of the car and check all the lights are working. Everything is fine...... they were just being a dick.

I had that recently. In fact we came to a stop side by side at a junction and I asked him why he was flashing me. He apologised and told me there was a problem with the headlights. I can only assume it was an aftermarket HID kit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Tractors going at a snails pace, carrying 40 bales of silage, making it near impossible to overtake them when on a country road. People out walking on roads that are clearing not suitable for pedestrians. If you have to climb a ditch to avoid a car, then that road is clearly not suitable for walking. Don't get me started on people who walk their dogs or worse still, their children on said roads.

It has to be said though, I moved back to Germany and it was a revelation. You have the motorway, the main road, the cycle lane beside the road (actually separated from the main road by a good bit, well maintained and cyclists do use it) and a lot of backroads that don't allow cars or only locals and you can walk the length of the country without having to cross a main road.
    In Ireland there's one road and it will have to do for cars, trucks, buses, pedestrians, cyclists, tractors, livestock and of course dogs and prams. This would be locally, it has been improved somewhat by motorways, but in Ireland it would never occur to anyone to walk or cycle from one town to the next, because it's genuinely dangerous. There is usually no hard shoulder and walls and fences right up beside the road. And certainly no little road beside the main one that pedestrians and cyclists could use. And how would there be? The farmers would have a fit if you went near their land.
    How hundreds of people aren't killed every single week is astonishing.
    I could walk or cycle to any of the surrounding villages here without having to share any space with main traffic, except for in the village itself and not even there for some of it.

The problem in Ireland is that the entire infrastructure has been designed by drunk people on the back of napkins in pubs. I'm not talking recently, this has been going on for the last 100 years. There have been attempts at fixing this with cycle paths (well, paint) and motorways, but its like trying to fix a wedding cake that fell off the back of a truck from a great height and then was reversed over by said truck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 171 ✭✭Gavinz

Hey mod any hope of doing something about the sh1te in this thread?

Every time I get interested in a thread on boards it turns into aul wans with hand bags.

Why the fukc do I bother me arse with boards in the first place?
    100% agree with this.

Every thread decends into ****ty bickering and kills itself.

There are some awful boring, nit-picking, multi-quoting bastards here tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I'm sure it's been mentioned already. My pet hate... idiots 'driving' in the middle lane of a 3 lane motorway (left lane is free/empty). M50 *cough* Worse again... idiots in the middle lane doing 60-80kph. M50 *cough*

Get the f**k off the road or move the f**k over to the left most lane. *GRRRRR* :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

Gavinz wrote: »
    100% agree with this.

Totally not true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

degsie wrote: »
    Totally not true.

I agree
    100% agree with this.

Please see post above

It is after hours after all. Motors thread is this way >>>> http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?query=motors

outrageous accusation

:pac::pac::pac::)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Pinch Flat wrote: »

It is after hours after all. Motors thread is this way >>>> http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?query=motors

Arse!

At least in AH you can talk about motoring issues without getting carded by cycle Stasi folk. AH allows for a wide range of free thinking opinion, not just those acceptable by certain folk

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    There are some awful boring, nit-picking, multi-quoting bastards here tbh

Disagree ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

Pedestrians and cyclists without hi-vis clothing (and in the case cyclists without lights). I live opposite a secondary school and during the winter months I can't believe the amount of kids cycling on the road in the dark with no lights at all or no hi-vis/reflective gear. I met a man walking his dog this morning at 7:30 on a dark country road while I was driving to work, wearing black from head to toe.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Arse!

At least in AH you can talk about motoring issues without getting carded by cycle Stasi folk. AH allows for a wide range of free thinking opinion, not just those acceptable by certain folk

Yeah but dont' use a thread in AH to sh*t on other forums. We don't like that across boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Arse!

quote-you-are-entitled-to-your-opinion-but-you-are-not-entitled-to-your-own-facts-daniel-patrick-moynihan-36-8-0815.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

We are the cyclists and have exclusive control of the facts.

quote-you-are-entitled-to-your-opinion-but-you-are-not-entitled-to-your-own-facts-daniel-patrick-moynihan-36-8-0815.jpg

This must be those alternative facts ive heard so much about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

This must be those alternative facts ive heard so much about.

Yep, a lot of your views would fit that category beautifully.

• Advertisement

Yep, a lot of your views would fit that category beautifully.

Yeahhhhhh, that would be a no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

AH allows for a wide range of free thinking opinion, not just those acceptable by certain folk
    Hehe...is that what you're calling your ill-informed rants which have been comprehensively shot down on this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I remember the good old days when the thread was about road issue that irritate you

Drivers who are 'overly helpful' by allowing loads of cars out from side roads while a ginormous queue of traffic builds up behind them.

pablo128 wrote: »
    I had that recently. In fact we came to a stop side by side at a junction and I asked him why he was flashing me. He apologised and told me there was a problem with the headlights. I can only assume it was an aftermarket HID kit.
    Not necessarily aftermarket kits. I've noticed it on newer vehicles, especially some Renault vans (owned by council so definitely not retro-fitted) and SUVs. For some reason it is worse when behind rather than approaching you - although the blue colour flicker can also be extremely distracting.

• Advertisement

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Hehe...is that what you're calling your ill-informed rants which have been comprehensively shot down on this thread?

Cyclist posts comment.

Claims other cyclists right, cause cyclists...

Yep. Seems ligit.

I do believe you and said others would win awards for ranting and hysterical defensive behaviour posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Stravos Murphy

Roundabouts, they are just too circular and predictable. I want corners in roundabouts.

Roundabouts, they are just too circular and predictable. I want corners in roundabouts.

The roundabout by the phoenix park, maybe round, the the exits/entrances/ very sharp squares, have seen a few car misjudge it.

The roundabout by the phoenix park, maybe round, the the exits/entrances/ very sharp squares, have seen a few car misjudge it.

Have you a google map image?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I'm not sure about corners, but this one is anything but predictable Stravos. Off to Swindon with you!

_63119443_msn_magic_roundabout_470x350.jpg

I would be trivially happy with that roundabout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

People that don't indicate. What do they think indicators are put on vehicles for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ImeldaNarcos

Folks happily driving along after dark with their daytime running lights on, oblivious to fact that they've no rear illumination.

Folks happily driving along after dark with their daytime running lights on, oblivious to fact that they've no rear illumination.

They wouldn't be so happy when they get rear ended then would they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I've been on it and it's really disconcerting that you go 'the wrong way' around the big inner roundabout.

maudgonner wrote: »
    I'm not sure about corners, but this one is anything but predictable Stravos. Off to Swindon with you!

_63119443_msn_magic_roundabout_470x350.jpg

Could you imagine that off the M50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

Or what about this one
    Known locally as the magic roundabout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Patww79 wrote: »
    Amazing that, isn't it? Put on the hazards and you can park anywhere. Which leads me on nicely to double parking. I live out in the sticks and friday mornings (pension day) outside the local post office is a sight to behold. Countless cars double parked, all with their hazard lights on, of course!

mikeymouse wrote: »
    Or what about this one
    Known locally as the magic roundabout

The one in Walkinstown can be interesting.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3171753,-6.3334678,198m/data=!3m1!1e3

blueser wrote: »
    People that don't indicate. What do they think indicators are put on vehicles for?

When they are illegally parked they can flash all of them to inform others that all is ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

Cyclists have no legal obligations to use cycle lanes, thanks to former Min Transport Leo Vradakar

Just because you're allowed to do something, doesn't mean you should (especially if it inconveniences normal people). The SS had legal authority from Hitler to gas people. Just because they were "entitled" to do it, doesn't make it any less reprehensible.
    But you're still not prepared to identify where specifically are the 'perfectly good cycle lanes' that you were talking about?

I'll show you a perfect example. The Lusk bypass in Co. Dublin

https://goo.gl/maps/LGW8nbLGj332

I always see lycra louts on this stretch of road, especially on Sundays, two or three abreast across an entire lane, thus making overtaking impossible.
    Yep. They are never happy. Always thinking no cycle path is good enough for them.

To the Two cyclists who responded to me.

Cycle up there. (On the cycle path) then see.

Stop delaying people to and from work.

dfeo wrote: »
    Just because you're allowed to do something, doesn't mean you should (especially if it inconveniences normal people). The SS had legal authority from Hitler to gas people. Just because they were "entitled" to do it, doesn't make it any less reprehensible.
    Well that escalated quickly
    I'll show you a perfect example. The Lusk bypass in Co. Dublin

Rotate that streetview 180° and tell me what you see.

A family out walking with a pushchair in the "cycle lane". Other times you could probably also expect dog walkers with extendable leashes*.

That's not a cycle lane, it's a footpath (y'know for walking on) with silly painted lines.

*to illustrate my point - same road different time. Dog walker with near invisible lead.
    https://goo.gl/maps/tQx7ErzMLuj
    and another (but a shorter leash)
    https://goo.gl/maps/zmx9G7PJ2wK2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

A family out walking with a pushchair in the "cycle lane". Other times you could probably also expect dog walkers with extendable leashes.

That's not a cycle lane, it's a footpath (y'know for walking on) with silly painted lines.
    The family are barely on the cycle lane. So because you feel the rules aren't up to your standard you choose to ignore them?

Quazzie wrote: »
    The family are barely on the cycle lane. So because you feel the rules aren't up to your standard you choose to ignore them?
    What "rules"?

A family out walking with a pushchair in the "cycle lane". Other times you could probably also expect dog walkers with extendable leashes*.

*to illustrate my point - same road different time. Dog walker with near invisible lead.
    https://goo.gl/maps/tQx7ErzMLuj

Next time there's a tractor on the road when I'm driving can I mount the footpath and mow down the lollipop lady and school children on the footpath? Going by your logic.

Next time there's a tractor on the road when I'm driving can I mount the footpath and mow down the lollipop lady and school children on the footpath? Going by your logic.
    Eh..no. You can do the same thing you should do when behind a cyclist. Stay back and wait for a safe opportunity to overtake. Logic 101

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

No, you wait behind the tractor and overtake when it is safe to do so.

Same as you should with a cyclist.

It's not particularly difficult to do.

Eh..no. You can do the same thing you should do when behind a cyclist. Stay back and wait for a safe opportunity to overtake. Logic 101
    amcalester wrote: »
    No, you wait behind the tractor and overtake when it is safe to do so.

Same as you should with a cyclist.

It's not particularly difficult to do.

Reading comprehension 101
    See my earlier post.

I always see lycra louts on this stretch of road, especially on Sundays, two or three abreast across an entire lane, thus making overtaking impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

So you can't overtake the pedestrians who are barely straddling the cycle lane .... why?

You can just do what most cyclists do anyway .... barge through a red light .... sure if a car hits you ... the driver is at fault and if you hit a pedestrian, the pedestrian is at fault ??? Win, win. N'est pas?

Any chance you have a source for your claim that most cyclists break red lights?

Or that drivers are at fault for hitting a cyclist who has run a red light?

Reading comprehension 101
    See my earlier post.
    I think this has been explained in detail several times on this thread...but for yourself and the slow of learning let us try again.

Cycling two or three abreast actually makes it EASIER for you to overtake (correctly). If 15 cyclists are three abreast that means overall total length is equivalent to 5 cyclists in single file. All of which means you spend less time on the other side of the road overtaking.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NGdQDEkWCE

Oh unless you meant that it is easier to squeeze cyclists into the kerb when riding single file and not have to worry about oncoming traffic when overtaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

I would love to see the fury if a large group of cyclists on their Sunday spin came across 3 joggers side by side across a lane of traffic. With oncoming cars preventing them overtaking.

If the three joggers had nice arses I would be happy to cycle behind them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Advertisement
Advertisement