Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road issues that irritate me.......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

When I'm driving my BMW most motorists are oblivious to the fact that they should get their inferior cars out of my way.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I've said this before, but most cost-effective and efficient way to deal with idiots on the road is to empower Gardaí to administer on-the-spot punishment in the form of a vigorous kick in the crotch.

You'd see a lot less muppetry if that was to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

people who drive on motorways doing 80kph when my hgv maxed at 85 kph, then after waiting for ages to overtake where i wont hold anyone up in the outside lane,then when they see me alongside they speed up:mad::mad::mad:...drop back in behind and 10mins later deja fcuking vu:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

xabi wrote: »
    When I'm driving my BMW most motorists are oblivious to the fact that they should get their inferior cars out of my way.

Crap, sorry! I saw the state of you and assumed you were a joyrider :o

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Cyclists have been well mentioned already but please, pedestrians, stop jwalking on our dark streets in your dark clothes on these dark, wet chaotic evenings. It is madness. You're not invincible. Death and injury do not just happen to other people. Drivers do not see everything - far from it. Please wise up to this reality.

Life is too short, and a healthy life shorter still.

+1........and might I add that under wet conditions like tonight and with a dark tall hedge as background a person in dark clothes may not be visible in dipped headlights at all. In other words invisible.

As you say 'Please wise up to this reality'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    There's the "issue"- you don't HAVE TO overtake them!

Overtake if you wish but understand, and take comfort from the fact that, they "suffer" the same frustration - every time they pass you - you go on to pass them again.
    That's life - sometimes the pigeon, sometimes the statue.

I know I don't have to but I'd be holding up the traffic behind me then. It's just annoying but yeah I suppose it would be annoying for the cyclist too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

davo2001 wrote: »
    Well personally I would like to have an idea on HOW inexperienced the driver actually is.

I know what you mean, but personally I just play it safe and assume the learner's driving.

Which reminds me of another thing I used to find very annoying: when you're a learner and are waiting to enter a main road, when a well-meaning individual stops to let you in.
    And then you panic as you weren't expecting it, fumble for the gearstick, forget to let off the handbrake, and finally stall the engine for good measure.
    And then the person who wanted to let you out gets annoyed and gives you filthy looks when they eventually give up waiting and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

xabi wrote: »

Yaris, BMW or Rolls Royce - makes no difference in heavy traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

davo2001 wrote: »
    Well personally I would like to have an idea on HOW inexperienced the driver actually is.

As someone who does a lot of mileage myself, at this stage I tend to assume that all drivers are potential hazards and may do something stupid until proven otherwise.

As such I'm always watching for the last-minute/no indicating lane change, the type who will join a motorway and try to cut across 2/3 lanes regardless of traffic already there, and the clowns who will inevitably swing around a roundabout with no indication of what exit they actually want to take etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Dont get your knickers ina twist :D

When driving years ago we were told by the silage contractor do not under any circumstances drive in the hard shoulder as we are not covered if something happens.

Plenty seems to irritate you by the looks of things so you're in the right place.

Read up a few posts and you'll see that my kids were killed in an RTA.

Not much irritates me, but fools on the road most certainly do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Drivers who see you coming, pull out in front and then drive really slowly in front of you for an eternity :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    As someone who does a lot of mileage myself, at this stage I tend to assume that all drivers are potential hazards and may do something stupid until proven otherwise.

As such I'm always watching for the last-minute/no indicating lane change, the type who will join a motorway and try to cut across 2/3 lanes regardless of traffic already there, and the clowns who will inevitably swing around a roundabout with no indication of what exit they actually want to take etc
    That is a real bugbear of mine. I can feel the anger rising in me even thinking about them. I don't know if it's a country-wide phenomenon but certainly down here in Mayo, it's ridiculous the amount of drivers that don't indicate at roundabouts. The one near McHale Park in Castlebar is a real eye opener. What do these people think indicators are on the vehicle for? Decoration?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Talking about pedestrians walking out in front of you.. Does anyone else get a giggle at fat people trying to cross the road, realize they're running out of time to reach the safety of the pavement so they try to break into a run?.

Some of them are hilarious, a little half step into a trot then back into a walk, a hop/bounce again and phew they've made it without a heart attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Lofty123

blueser wrote: »
    That is a real bugbear of mine. I can feel the anger rising in me even thinking about them. I don't know if it's a country-wide phenomenon but certainly down here in Mayo, it's ridiculous the amount of drivers that don't indicate at roundabouts. The one near McHale Park in Castlebar is a real eye opener. What do these people think indicators are on the vehicle for? Decoration?

Yep, a lot of them only use them at Christmas...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Read up a few posts and you'll see that my kids were killed in an RTA.

Not much irritates me, but fools on the road most certainly do.

Yes I came across your earlier posts, I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

You may very well be right if the hard shoulder has a broken line, I personally wouldn't drive in one. I suppose some drivers wont drive in a hard shoulder as they dont care/think of whos behind them or believe they are not obliged to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

_Jamie_ wrote: »
    More than one person uses the term 'shopping experience'. That's... nice?

It is.

Well in addition to Tesco using it......Marksies too......oh, and Aldi......not exactly minor players in respect of shopping ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    As someone who does a lot of mileage myself, at this stage I tend to assume that all drivers are potential hazards and may do something stupid

Spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

If you're not planning on overtaking leave some fecking room so I can!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Idiot & inexperienced Drivers who drive through those ultra mini painted on roundabouts, frantically indicating left < then right > then left again as they drive straight though! (causing total confusion) to oncoming drivers & pedestrians alike in their wake :mad:

Generic example http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/images/7/75/Tiny_mini_roundabout_1_-_Coppermine_-_4700.JPG

... all within the space of ten seconds; are they going left? Yes/no? Oh no, yes we can cross the road now, Oh wait stop the buggy, now he's indicated right, oh hang on, wait a minute he's indicating left again ..... No? looks like he's going straight on!!!

Like what's that about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

those roundabouts can **** off

• Advertisement

Drivers going unnecessarily slowly when you're trying to drive onto the road.

The gateway of my house in Dublin opens onto a busy road. When the traffic light goes red on either side, the traffic clears. On a good day, I can just pull out the driveway and off I go. But there's often some slow fcuker at the tail-end of the last burst of traffic, cruising along at leisure, going too fast for me to drive out ahead of him, but too slow to allow me to drive out before the next burst of traffic.

Same thing crossing the street to go to the shops. The traffic finally clears, but some wanker is cruising along, taking in the sights. Move on you twerp and let me across :mad::mad::mad:

I know we can save petrol by decelerating and accelerating with less speed, but still, it's an annoyance I don't need at that time of morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

I hate a lot of road behaviour but nothing annoys me more than school traffic. More of an incentive to stay on the bike though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

On Saturday, my OH and I are treating ourselves to a night in Ballina in a nice hotel. We are driving from Dublin to Ballina. (Leaving early Saturday morning and leaving on Sunday afternoon).

There is a good stretch of 100 km/h N-Road (SINGLE-LANED) which I am fukcing dreading :( it lasts a good chunk of the journey I just know I'll be stuck behind some arsehole who thinks it's their God-given right to drive at 50 and hug the middle line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Talking about pedestrians walking out in front of you.. Does anyone else get a giggle at fat people trying to cross the road, realize they're running out of time to reach the safety of the pavement so they try to break into a run?.

Some of them are hilarious, a little half step into a trot then back into a walk, a hop/bounce again and phew they've made it without a heart attack.

Aren't you all superior and great and stuff ............. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

No.

Originally Posted by Makikomi View Post

New thread...
    Juvenile things that make you snigger:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

People who don't use their indicators.

Most taxi drivers. .

Those people with white-blue very bright lights which was already mentioned. What is the point of them. Just to annoy others..?

Drivers who skip red lights. Happens all the time here in Cork. I was driving in the city centre the other day, light just went red so I stopped. Next thing a taxi driver overtook me while I was stopped at the red light and flew past me turning right :mad: This was in a large junction in the city centre with traffic coming from everywhere.

People who think their small car is an artic lorry and won't fit through anything. I drive through Sunday's Well Road in Cork everyday which is a very narrow road with cars parked everywhere. Takes feckin ages to get through sometimes as drivers don't think their cars fit, when a lot of the time they will.

People who can't use roundabouts. Although I seem to notice less of it than most people here. No one ever seems to indicate on them though.

Cars that go 80km/hr on a 100km/hr road and then stay the same speed in towns and villages. Sounds like it's a nationwide thing!

Being behind drivers that don't drive fast enough when merging on a motorway.

Drivers who put parking cones on public roads to save themselves a parking space.

The thing that annoys me the most is people on their phones....it's so dangerous!

People who beep at you giving out that you are driving in a bus lane outside of operating of hours. That fact that bus lanes have operating hours seems to be a little know fact.

I don't see why so many people have problems with parent and child spaces. I don't have kids, but see why they are needed. More door width. What's the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭VonLuck

It seems that a lot of road users don't understand that there are sensors at the majority of traffic lights in towns and cities that detect when there's a car waiting and change the lights accordingly.

They stop short of the white line and wonder why the lights stay red.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

dfeo wrote: »
    On Saturday, my OH and I are treating ourselves to a night in Ballina in a nice hotel. We are driving from Dublin to Ballina. (Leaving early Saturday morning and leaving on Sunday afternoon).

There is a good stretch of 100 km/h N-Road (SINGLE-LANED) which I am fukcing dreading :( it lasts a good chunk of the journey I just know I'll be stuck behind some arsehole who thinks it's their God-given right to drive at 50 and hug the middle line.

The N5.....great bit of road....should be 120kph

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Aren't you all superior and great and stuff ............. :rolleyes:

He's obviously a gob****e.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

Jawgap wrote: »
    It is.

Well in addition to Tesco using it......Marksies too......oh, and Aldi......not exactly minor players in respect of shopping ;)

Of course the shops use it, they are trying to big up what they sell. :confused: "Oh, Tesco uses some florid term to sex up the weekly grocery shopping, I must adopt it into my lexicon!". Look, adopt the term if you want but using it as a reason and excuse to take umbrage at having to do, oh, maximum three minutes extra walking each way at the start and the end of your "experience" that a harried parent doesn't have to do is embarrassingly daft and precious. Accept it, it makes you look nothing more than petty and spoiled.

Jesus. Of all the people to post that: you spend so much time on the fitness forum, where it's evident that people are very self conscious about their weight and so many people post looking for help (myself included) and get a hard time over it.

Seems a bit low of you to make that kinda comment. I'll acknowledge that, if nothing else, it at least seems to be a bit out of character for you. Still disappointing, all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

VonLuck wrote: »
    It seems that a lot of road users don't understand that there are sensors at the majority of traffic lights in towns and cities that detect when there's a car waiting and change the lights accordingly.

They stop short of the white line and wonder why the lights stay red.

Where do you reckon the sensors are located?

RainyDay wrote: »

in the road??

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Jesus. Of all the people to post that: you spend so much time on the fitness forum, where it's evident that people are very self conscious about their weight and so many people post looking for help (myself included) and get a hard time over it.

Seems a bit low of you to make that kinda comment. I'll acknowledge that, if nothing else, it at least seems to be a bit out of character for you. Still disappointing, all the same.
    I had been thinking the same when I read it first.
    Then it occurred to me that whilst he was sitting in his car feeling smug, at least the people he judged to be overweight were out walking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,649 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

blueser wrote: »

The roundabout beyond Bohermore in Galway city is bloody dangerous, as a pedestrian going to a college up there a few years ago the amount of near misses from non-indicating drivers was ridiculous, also the roundabout at the Headford road near Dunnes is another one for dumb ass drivers.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

_Jamie_ wrote: »
    Of course the shops use it, they are trying to big up what they sell. :confused: "Oh, Tesco uses some florid term to sex up the weekly grocery shopping, I must adopt it into my lexicon!". Look, adopt the term if you want but using it as a reason and excuse to take umbrage at having to do, oh, maximum three minutes extra walking each way at the start and the end of your "experience" that a harried parent doesn't have to do is embarrassingly daft and precious. Accept it, it makes you look nothing more than petty and spoiled.

Well, it's not the extra walk that wrecks the experience it's the parents who let their kids run wild in the shop as if it's some kind of free form creche - harried or not, letting the wildlings play chasing around the shop, open food packets or dribble snot in the fruit and veg aisles is not endearing to anyone, no matter how adorable such 'rambunctiousness' can seem to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Came off M50 yesterday heading for the N32 and stopped at the lights, a driver in front decided to pull out expecting the lights to turn green, another driver came from the right trying to beat the orange and obviously both started blowing horns and the usual hand gestures.

Both were in the wrong but more so the gob****e who decided to just drive through a red lignt onto a busy junction

Why.........Arrogant, in a hurry to go to an early grave or just plane stupid.

We need to adopt the Swedish driving education and testing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Yellow pack crisps

People who can't drive or cycle properly.

Pedestrians who can't understand traffic lights or road markings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

gitzy16v wrote: »
    in the road??

Ok then, if I really need to be more specific, where do you reckon the sensors are located relative to the white stop line?

Ok then, if I really need to be more specific, where do you reckon the sensors are located relative to the white stop line?

About a foot before it,im not sure hence my ? at the end of my post.
    You can see on the road in front of lights an square area... http://198.173.75.66/fastnews/images/dailies/traffic.signals/traffic.signal.sensors/large/traffic.signal.wire.sensors-large.jpg

Something like this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

There is a significant subset of drivers who cannot drive faster than 60kph regardless of the road or the conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Came off M50 yesterday heading for the N32 and stopped at the lights, a driver in front decided to pull out expecting the lights to turn green, another driver came from the right trying to beat the orange and obviously both started blowing horns and the usual hand gestures.

Both were in the wrong but more so the gob****e who decided to just drive through a red lignt onto a busy junction

Why.........Arrogant, in a hurry to go to an early grave or just plane stupid.

We need to adopt the Swedish driving education and testing

The gas thing is a green light doesn't even mean go. It means proceed if safe to do so. As you say, the height of arrogance.

pablo128 wrote: »
    The gas thing is a green light doesn't even mean go. It means proceed if safe to do so. As you say, the height of arrogance.

Bet at least one of them was driving a BMW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

We need to adapt the UK system of orange and red together means get in gear and prepare to move.

This'll eliminate "gree light dawdlers".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭SixSixSix

gitzy16v wrote: »
    About a foot before it,im not sure hence my ? at the end of my post.
    You can see on the road in front of lights an square area... http://198.173.75.66/fastnews/images/dailies/traffic.signals/traffic.signal.sensors/large/traffic.signal.wire.sensors-large.jpg

Something like this.

And in front of the stop lines too - something like this
    http://tinyurl.com/nbb9yhj

and this

http://tinyurl.com/npeb2mq

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

Is there any point in reporting dangerous driving? I had a prick driving behind me for ages on Sunday with his full beams on. I thought it was just absent minded at first but whenever we'd meet on coming traffic they flash him and he'd put it down. Until they were gone and then back up again. Particularly straight roads, I was at the limit and my speed did not seem to be the problem. It might sound minor but it is distracting and continued for several kilometres, I couldn't take it after awhile, so pulled over and slowed down to let him pass and continued on myself in peace. He put the boot down and went on about his business.
    About 10 minutes later I passed him(it was particularly distinctive vehicle) and we went thru the whole routine one more time. This time when in front of me there was another car for him to basically bully with his lights on full. Dear Reader I didn't flash him as the hybrid van he was driving had no rear windows so I'd just be further distracting the leading car. Eventually with oncoming traffic he made a break for it forcing the car he was passing and oncoming cars to take evasive action. I have his license place and know where he turned off. But it's all quite useless isn't it? My word against his means nothing at the end of the day? No accident happened, but his driving was increasing the odds that it would and I would not be surprised to find he was hammered. I just have to hope that no one I know, or even don't, isn't caused harm by him.

So Road issues that irritate me is people driving like pricks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭skinny90

People who cut across me on the basis that "If I hit them, it's my fault"...people who can't use roundabouts, fail to understand what right of actually means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭Poochie05

darlett wrote: »
    Is there any point in reporting dangerous driving? I had a prick driving behind me for ages on Sunday with his full beams on. I thought it was just absent minded at first but whenever we'd meet on coming traffic they flash him and he'd put it down. Until they were gone and then back up again. Particularly straight roads, I was at the limit and my speed did not seem to be the problem. It might sound minor but it is distracting and continued for several kilometres, I couldn't take it after awhile, so pulled over and slowed down to let him pass and continued on myself in peace. He put the boot down and went on about his business.
    About 10 minutes later I passed him(it was particularly distinctive vehicle) and we went thru the whole routine one more time. This time when in front of me there was another car for him to basically bully with his lights on full. Dear Reader I didn't flash him as the hybrid van he was driving had no rear windows so I'd just be further distracting the leading car. Eventually with oncoming traffic he made a break for it forcing the car he was passing and oncoming cars to take evasive action. I have his license place and know where he turned off. But it's all quite useless isn't it? My word against his means nothing at the end of the day? No accident happened, but his driving was increasing the odds that it would and I would not be surprised to find he was hammered. I just have to hope that no one I know, or even don't, isn't caused harm by him.

So Road issues that irritate me is people driving like pricks.

I had someone do this to me and after I reluctantly pulled in to let them go about their way I called Traffic Watch and reported the incident, only had partial plate but also make of car. I thought no more of it. Got a phone call from local Garda station around 2 weeks later with the news that they had tracked down the driver, he admitted it, he had been driving his employer's car and was very apologetic. I had the option to proceed with being a witness in court but after discussing with the guard I decided to let it go as a lesson learned as the guard told me his employer was not too impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Poochie05 wrote: »
    I had someone do this to me and after I reluctantly pulled in to let them go about their way I called Traffic Watch and reported the incident, only had partial plate but also make of car. I thought no more of it. Got a phone call from local Garda station around 2 weeks later with the news that they had tracked down the driver, he admitted it, he had been driving his employer's car and was very apologetic. I had the option to proceed with being a witness in court but after discussing with the guard I decided to let it go as a lesson learned as the guard told me his employer was not too impressed.

Good to hear something gets done about reporting it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement