Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road issues that irritate me.......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

Poochie05 wrote: »
    I had someone do this to me and after I reluctantly pulled in to let them go about their way I called Traffic Watch and reported the incident, only had partial plate but also make of car. I thought no more of it. Got a phone call from local Garda station around 2 weeks later with the news that they had tracked down the driver, he admitted it, he had been driving his employer's car and was very apologetic. I had the option to proceed with being a witness in court but after discussing with the guard I decided to let it go as a lesson learned as the guard told me his employer was not too impressed.

Fair play to you. Good of you to have cojones and the know-how to make that call! ...You know rather than just moaning about it on Boards.ie! :o

Just as a point of clarification (though its not being asked, lest it appear I was actively engaging in some good old fashioned Road Rage 'tag') the reason I passed him after initially letting him pass was because he was pulled over on the hard shoulder slow rolling along and rejoined the road after I passed by. It was a bit 'The Hitcher' for a moment the way he came up after me for the second time, but I will hazard as it was dark, several miles later, and my car is fairly indistinctive (!) if I do say so myself, that that much was coincidence and to see him harassing the driver in front almost came as relief that he wasn't out for my blood for some perceived slight.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭GMSA

Reversing or moreso peoples inability to parallel park or reverse into a parking space. You can actually fit a car into a much smaller space by parallel parking than attempting to just drive in. Added points if you can do it using only the mirrors.
    I have a 24 yr old cousin (female) who drives for an agricultural contractor from time to time. To see her reverse a 160hp tractor and loaded 20ft trailer would put some drivers to shame. Ive seen yaris drivers hit both ditches when forced to reverse for hgvs on rural roads.
    If you can't reverse you shouldn't be driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

People who dont go when the lights are green,presumably on the phone or some ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

darlett wrote: »
    Is there any point in reporting dangerous driving? I had a prick driving behind me for ages on Sunday with his full beams on. I thought it was just absent minded at first but whenever we'd meet on coming traffic they flash him and he'd put it down. Until they were gone and then back up again. Particularly straight roads, I was at the limit and my speed did not seem to be the problem. It might sound minor but it is distracting and continued for several kilometres, I couldn't take it after awhile, so pulled over and slowed down to let him pass and continued on myself in peace. He put the boot down and went on about his business.
    About 10 minutes later I passed him(it was particularly distinctive vehicle) and we went thru the whole routine one more time. This time when in front of me there was another car for him to basically bully with his lights on full. Dear Reader I didn't flash him as the hybrid van he was driving had no rear windows so I'd just be further distracting the leading car. Eventually with oncoming traffic he made a break for it forcing the car he was passing and oncoming cars to take evasive action. I have his license place and know where he turned off. But it's all quite useless isn't it? My word against his means nothing at the end of the day? No accident happened, but his driving was increasing the odds that it would and I would not be surprised to find he was hammered. I just have to hope that no one I know, or even don't, isn't caused harm by him.

So Road issues that irritate me is people driving like pricks.

I'd have stuck on the rear fog lamp for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

I don't see why going round a bend would make a difference, as no competent driver would be overtaking on a bend anyway.

Because not every driver is "competent".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I use the bike most days.

What I don't like is cars being too aggressive when trying join traffic from a side road.
    Also, fellow cyclists not stopping at red lights.
    Both are dangerous and stupid.
    The last few weeks I've seen a lot of near-misses stemming from the above behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

POTHOLES :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

I think it's a credit to Irish Motorists (as bad as some of them undoubtedly are!!) that cyclists aren't being massacred on our roads when you consider how selfish, ignorant and stupid most cyclists behave when on their bikes ............ "look out for our most vulnerable road-users." :confused: I think it's time they started looking out for themselves instead of relying on the rest of us to do it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

Jawgap wrote: »
    I was simply making the point they're not, and child and parent spots are really just extra paint.

The entire carpark is private property with "just extra paint". It's not a public road.

You can park in a Parent & Child spot, and you're not breaking the law. I can double park behind you, blocking you in, and I'm not breaking the law. But we'd both be showing selfishness and a complete lack of empathy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

MadDog76 wrote: »
    I think it's a credit to Irish Motorists (as bad as some of them undoubtedly are!!) that cyclists aren't being massacred on our roads when you consider how selfish, ignorant and stupid most cyclists behave when on their bikes ............ "look out for our most vulnerable road-users." :confused: I think it's time they started looking out for themselves instead of relying on the rest of us to do it!!!

Victim blaming, that's one issue that irritates me. Granted there are some idiotic cyclists as there are idiotic drivers.

Both times I've been knocked off my bike, I've had two flashing strobes on the rear - one at the back of my helmet, one on the back of the bike. Hi-vis bag cover as well. Both times, drivers claimed to have not seen me, despite one of the lights (accordingly to the manufacturer) being visible from a kilometer away.

Drivers will also frequently pull out in front of me, across me to turn left, again ignoring my speed and bright strobes that I use night and day.

• Advertisement

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Victim blaming, that's one issue that irritates me. Granted there are some idiotic cyclists as there are idiotic drivers.

Both times I've been knocked off my bike, I've had two flashing strobes on the rear - one at the back of my helmet, one on the back of the bike. Hi-vis bag cover as well. Both times, drivers claimed to have not seen me, despite one of the lights (accordingly to the manufacturer) being visible from a kilometer away.

Drivers will also frequently pull out in front of me, across me to turn left, again ignoring my speed and bright strobes that I use night and day.

None of that negates the fact that cyclists, based on their idiocy and recklessness on the roads, should be dying by the dozen but they aren't .......... I can only contribute that to the quick thinking, and caution, exercised by motorists when we encounter a cyclist.

How ironic that a cyclist would use the term "victim blaming" .......... :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

None of that negates the fact that cyclists, based on their idiocy and recklessness on the roads, should be dying by the dozen but they aren't .......... I can only contribute that to the quick thinking, and caution, exercised by motorists when we encounter a cyclist.

Indeed. These cyclists not looking where they're going when they cycle.into he back of the poor moving cars :rolleyes:

kbannon wrote: »
    Indeed. These cyclists not looking where they're going when they cycle.into he back of the poor moving cars :rolleyes:

Always makes me giggle!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

The common denominator in the 160-200 deaths on our roads each year is: motorists. It is motorists that maim and kill, and in 95% of those deaths, there is no involvement of any cyclist anywhere.

Now tell me again which group is the menace on the roads?

RainyDay wrote: »
    The common denominator in the 160-200 deaths on our roads each year is: motorists. It is motorists that maim and kill, and in 95% of those deaths, there is no involvement of any cyclist anywhere.

Now tell me again which group is the menace on the roads?

That's what I'm saying ........... cyclists are escaping unharmed due to Motorists being wary of the hazards they pose on our roads. Quick thinking/acting Motorists are saving cyclists lives on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Veloce150

That's what I'm saying ........... cyclists are escaping unharmed due to Motorists being wary of the hazards they pose on our roads. Quick thinking/acting Motorists are saving cyclists lives on a daily basis.
    Worth mentioning the cyclists who manage to get out of harms way when a motorist decides to take a shortcut and go the wrong way around a roundabout. Without these tolerant cyclists, many a driver would be facing major hikes in their motor insurance after being convicted.

Veloce150 wrote: »
    Worth mentioning the cyclists who manage to get out of harms way when a motorist decides to take a shortcut and go the wrong way around a roundabout. Without these tolerant cyclists, many a driver would be facing major hikes in their motor insurance after being convicted.

:D I don't think Motorists "going the wrong way around a roundabout" is common enough to be considered an issue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

• Advertisement

There's one ........... in the UK I think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Three cars pulled out in front of me today, I had to take evasive action to avoid them. No big deal, quick reflexes and road awareness (I knew they'd do it) that most cyclist have avoided injury. Not one of the drivers even saw me, oblivious. I have two lights on the front and two on the back, reflective strips on the helmet, top, leggings and bag. These are daily occurrences.

Take it from me, a keen motorists and a commuter cyclist. Cyclists are escaping unharmed by being mindful of motorists that don't even know they're a problem on the road.

I know it's anecdotal. But so are your observations.

There's one ........... in the UK I think?

I know. I just thought it was funny. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Could it not also be said that it's the quick thinking/acting of cyclists that's preventing fatalities on the roads?

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Three cars pulled out in front of me today, I had to take evasive action to avoid them. No big deal, quick reflexes and road awareness (I knew they'd do it) that most cyclist have avoided injury. Not one of the drivers even saw me, oblivious. I have two lights on the front and two on the back, reflective strips on the helmet, top, leggings and bag. These are daily occurrences.

Take it from me, a keen motorists and a commuter cyclist. Cyclists are escaping unharmed by being mindful of motorists that don't even know they're a problem on the road.

I know it's anecdotal. But so are your observations.

In such circumstances I use my horn, most cars will stop. One of the problems I see with other cyclists is they have either no bell, or a useless bell.

VonLuck wrote: »
    Could it not also be said that it's the quick thinking/acting of cyclists that's preventing fatalities on the roads?

You mean cyclists might actually be taking responsibility for their own personal safety? I would like to think so .......... but I've largely witnessed the opposite to be the case on our roads to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

railer201 wrote: »
    In such circumstances I use my horn, most cars will stop. One of the problems I see with other cyclists is they have either no bell, or a useless bell.

I know. After advice I just avoid collisions (obviously) and confrontations.

But... if one was a litigious and athletic type of person they'd clean up. So many drivers dwadling about oblivious to what's going on around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭VonLuck

You mean cyclists might actually be taking responsibility for their own personal safety? I would like to think so .......... but I've largely witnessed the opposite to be the case on our roads to be honest.

I have to agree that there are a lot of cyclists that take major risks and are frustrating to watch commuting in and out of the city. I find it particularly applies to Dublin Bike users who seem to have just discovered bicycles and no one has taught them the rules of the road.

I have also encountered many motorists who seem to refuse to use their indicators, or check over their shoulder, when turning left. I have come close to getting run over by these idiots too many times to count.

I have to agree that there are a lot of cyclists that take major risks and are frustrating to watch commuting in and out of the city. I find it particularly applies to Dublin Bike users who seem to have just discovered bicycles and no one has taught them the rules of the road.

I have also encountered many motorists who seem to refuse to use their indicators, or check over their shoulder, when turning left. I have come close to getting run over by these idiots too many times to count.

I acknowledged, in an earlier post, that there are many terrible drivers on our roads but the difference is if cyclists continue to break read lights, for example, it's only a matter of time before one of them is killed .......... it's quick thinking/acting Motorists that have avoided these idiots on bikes being slaughtered en masse thus far.

Cyclists not using the cycle lane.

Interesting - so the excellent motorists are excellent at avoiding the dangerous cyclists, but not so excellent at avoiding each other, or avoiding pedestrians (of whom they kill three times as many as cyclists). I'm not quite sure I see your logic there.
    I acknowledged, in an earlier post, that there are many terrible drivers on our roads but the difference is if cyclists continue to break read lights, for example, it's only a matter of time before one of them is killed .......... it's quick thinking/acting Motorists that have avoided these idiots on bikes being slaughtered en masse thus far.

A matter of time, eh? And while we await for your 'matter of time', motorists will kill four or five people, mostly other motorists and some pedestrians each week. We don't have to wait for your 'matter of time' to see where the real danger on the road lies (and it's not with cyclists).

Just curious - do you notice the 1 or 2 or 3 drivers who break through the red light at just about every change of lights? And do you notice the 1 in 4 or 5 drivers that is talking or texting or YouTubing (that was tonight for me - the guy passed me while tapping round on YouTube on his phone)? And do you notice the 60% or 80% of drivers who break the speed limit?
    Most of the Dublin Bike users (like most adults) are licensed, tested and insured drivers. They've done the same driving test as you did, so they're well aware of the Rules of the Road. Like most road users, they choose which rules they want to comply with.

• Advertisement

Interesting - so the excellent motorists are excellent at avoiding the dangerous cyclists, but not so excellent at avoiding each other, or avoiding pedestrians (of whom they kill three times as many as cyclists). I'm not quite sure I see your logic there.

A matter of time, eh? And while we await for your 'matter of time', motorists will kill four or five people, mostly other motorists and some pedestrians each week. We don't have to wait for your 'matter of time' to see where the real danger on the road lies (and it's not with cyclists).

Just curious - do you notice the 1 or 2 or 3 drivers who break through the red light at just about every change of lights? And do you notice the 1 in 4 or 5 drivers that is talking or texting or YouTubing (that was tonight for me - the guy passed me while tapping round on YouTube on his phone)? And do you notice the 60% or 80% of drivers who break the speed limit?

Your posts on this subject are always hilarious! :D

You've missed the point of course .........

Your posts on this subject are always hilarious! :D

You've missed the point of course .........
    You're finding it hard to come up with a response to simple facts then?

There are some bad cases of cycling amongst them ok - in fact everything from cycling on footpaths, wrong direction on one-way streets, running red lights, no hand signalling, wobbling all over the place. The track suit merchants around the city on their mountain bikes, mostly on footpaths, are no better.

Some motorists are no saints either, but at least they're protected in the event of an accident, whereas a cyclist is not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Drivers still manage to kill nearly 200 people annually though, road deaths up 25% on last year.

Blue lights on cars is an issue for me. They really hurt my eyes. It's like staring into the sun even when they're dipped. Does this happen others or is it just my eyes?

You're finding it hard to come up with a response to simple facts then?

My response is in this very thread, if you decide to take your blinkers off some day you might just find it ...........

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Drivers still manage to kill nearly 200 people annually though, road deaths up 25% on last year.

The standard limp cyclist response of "but but but the Motorists do it as well" is tired, irrelevant and old ........ in short, it just won't wash I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Veloce150

:D I don't think Motorists "going the wrong way around a roundabout" is common enough to be considered an issue!
    Have you ever observed motorist behaviour at mini roundabouts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

People taking selfies whilst driving. Couldn't believe my eyes yesterday when girl behind me kept taking pictures n posing with that stupid pouty face . Was so tempted to get out when at traffic lights n record her to give to the guards. Wasn't sure if that would be legal or not. Stupid girl!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

MadDog76 wrote:
    The standard limp cyclist response of "but but but the Motorists do it as well" is tired, irrelevant and old ........ in short, it just won't wash I'm afraid.

Any particular reason it doesn't wash. Every category of road user breaks the law. But the reason we have rules of the road is to keep people safe. If a particular category is going around killing people there will always be minimal enforcement. Its nearly a decade and a half since a cyclist killed another road user. Do mind telling us how many people have been killed in car accidents or hit and runs since this thread started?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Accidental double post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭jimmy blevins

Blue lights on cars is an issue for me. They really hurt my eyes. It's like staring into the sun even when they're dipped. Does this happen others or is it just my eyes?

Your not the only one, there really needs to be new EU legislation on car lighting as there is research that modern lights may be damaging to the eyes.

PeadarCo wrote: »
    Any particular reason it doesn't wash. Every category of road user breaks the law. But the reason we have rules of the road is to keep people safe. If a particular category is going around killing people there will always be minimal enforcement. Its nearly a decade and a half since a cyclist killed another road user. Do mind telling us how many people have been killed in car accidents or hit and runs since this thread started?

It's akin to a naughty toddler responding to being reprimanded for being bold with "but but but Johnny did it too!" ........... adult cyclists should know better than toddlers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Is this sorted yet?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It's akin to a naughty toddler responding to being reprimanded for being bold with "but but but Johnny did it too!" ........... adult cyclists should know better than toddlers.

That's a daft comment.
    All road users should know better so there's no point in suggesting that cyclists shouldn't be getting knocked down because they should know better.
    All road users should be aware of each other and have consideration for each other. Unfortunately many people don't give a toss and find it easier to blame someone else via stereotyping groups

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Drivers stopping on yellow boxes and blocking up junctions :mad:

Some motorists are no saints either, but at least they're protected in the event of an accident, whereas a cyclist is not.
    Protected? Try telling that to the families of the 150-ish motorists killed on the road this year.
    Nope, sorry - not 'motorists do it as well' - Cyclists don't kill people. Motorists do it - full stop. Cyclists don't. That's the point you've been missing.
    Not really - it's akin to focusing on the naughty toddlers spilling their porridge while the other guy is running amok with an AK47 shooting everyone in sight. You've kinda missed the point of where the real problem is.

There are some bad cases of cycling amongst them ok - in fact everything from cycling on footpaths, wrong direction on one-way streets, running red lights, no hand signalling, wobbling all over the place. The track suit merchants around the city on their mountain bikes, mostly on footpaths, are no better.

Protected? Try telling that to the families of the 150-ish motorists killed on the road this year..

In comparison to cyclists is what I meant - you're twisting the context of my post. The discussion was mostly about pedestrian and cyclist safety as you know, but lo and behold cars and motorists have appeared again - surprise, surprise.

Back to the original topic.

Cyclists that try to blame everything on motorists.

In comparison to cyclists is what I meant - you're twisting the context of my post. The discussion was mostly about pedestrian and cyclist safety as you know, but lo and behold cars and motorists have appeared again - surprise, surprise.

There's no point in talking about cages, airbags, seat belts unless you also talk about the dangers for motorists. The reason why all those safety features are put in place is because of the serious danger that arises from fast, heavy vehicles.

Far more motorists and far more pedestrians are killed and maimed on the road than cyclists. I really don't understand this fetish for 'cycle safety' from those who profess to be interested in road safety. If you care about road safety, the obvious priority is to get motorists to stop killing and maiming each other.

• Advertisement

Back to the original topic.

Cyclists that try to blame everything on motorists.

That's one I forgot to include on my list .............. when we criticise stupid drivers doing stupid things on the road there's a general nod of "that's true, I've seen it myself" from all road users ......... criticise cyclists and it's all "boohoohoo look at what the driver's are doing, it's all their fault!!", if the finger is pointed at you because you've done something wrong then you pointing the finger at someone else because they've done something wrong doesn't excuse your stupid behaviour ............. that response doesn't wash in the workplace, courts of law, the DRP here on Boards or in a creche so why do cyclists seem to think it's a valid response for them to use??? :confused:

The majority of cyclists, from what I've personally seen on the roads on a daily basis, consistently pose a hazard to themselves as well as to other cyclists, motorists and pedestrians.

ISIS are a terrorist organisation who are responsible for the deaths of many innocent people ......... but that's a separate issue and has no bearing on the cyclist issue.

Drug dealers are responsible for spreading death in many communities .......... but that's a separate issue and has no bearing on the cyclist issue.

Drink driving is a selfish act that has caused many a tragedy on our roads ............ but that's a separate issue and has no bearing on the cyclist issue.

Dole scammers are annoying and have caused tax-payers to be financially squeezed even further than they already are .......... but that's a separate issue and has no bearing on the cyclist issue.

And so on ...........

Advertisement