Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAI Cup Final. Cork City v Dundalk (RTE2 @1540)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Stheno wrote: »
    What's the craic with the dundalk players taking off the medals?
    :confused: Most players take off runner up medals. They mean nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Harsh on Dundalk at the end but as a neutral it's good to see the trophies spread out a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Most losing finalists in any soccer final do the exact same

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Most losing finalists in any soccer final do the exact same

Thanks I just happened to watch this wouldn't be familiar with that sort of thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

MD1990 wrote: »
    :confused: Most players take off runner up medals. They mean nothing.

First time I ever saw it done was Roy Keane in the 91 cup final defeat to spurs. Nearly flung it back.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

They didn't want their kids to see them with their loser medals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Congratulations to Cork City :):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Dundalk much the better team but I don't begrudge Cork the win.
    Jammy goals count the same as screamers.

Patww79 wrote: »

Well I am not going into a to and fro why they did and did not deserve it! It sounds a cliche, but there are games where both teams can be deserved victors in their own manner.
    Most post game analysis will reflect, rightfully, better team lost today, But that takes nothing away from Corks response in the second half.

Anyway, as I said! Noone can influence people's perspective! I just thought your view is very OTT.

First time I ever saw it done was Roy Keane in the 91 cup final defeat to spurs. Nearly flung it back.:D

Sure it said it all when Keane was reluctant to take the pitch after the final in 1999 (as well as Scholes!)

And then we had this!

Chelsea's%20British%20defender%20John%20Terry%20%20holds%20the%20trophy%20after%20the%20UEFA%20Champions%20League%20final

Congrats Cork, but Cmon The Town! 3 in a row achieved. Today wont linger for long in the memory. Even less so if The Town get into the EL knock out stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

If they were that much better they would have won. Rte think the town should be given a month between games

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

If they were that much better they would have won. Rte think the town should be given a month between games

For all the pressure they applied they never converted it to goals. City shut them out effectively and managed to grab the goal. Being the "better side" counts for nothing if you dont outscore your opponents.

Exaggerate much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

For all the pressure they applied they never converted it to goals. City shut them out effectively and managed to grab the goal. Being the "better side" counts for nothing if you dont outscore your opponents.

QFT

Dundalk didn't do enough to win the game. Took a flukey goal to win the game but I wouldnt give too ****s if we had of scored like that. Like I said in other thread, Cork, and their fans especially deserve a bit of silverware after the past few seasons.

Calling the goal a fluke allows Dundalk's defence away with it.

Was it Andy Boyle that was bullied by little Sean Maguire?

AgileMyth wrote: »

"Bullied" FFS. The ball hit Boyle's leg and deflected into the net.

• Advertisement

Maybe u missed the goal or need to watch it again. Maquire was bullied all game by Gartland in particular the problem for the goal was letting the ball bounce. Finn slipping was critical in the goal. He possibly stumbled because of tiredness as he was everywhere.

I assume you're on a wind up. It took a deflection and spinned into the corner? How is that not flukey? Like I said I wouldn't give a **** of it was us that scored the goal

He made the space to get the shot away very easily, pushing one of the centre backs off him, that's what you should be trying to cut out. Can't be letting him shoot from there because it's very likely to go in..

He made the space to get the shot away very easily, pushing one of the centre backs off him, that's what you should be trying to cut out. Can't be letting him shoot from there because it's very likely to go in..
    A defender falling caused the space for him. He bullied nobody. Did you not watch the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Disappointed with the result but not the performance.

I was very proud of the team, they oozed class throughout and it was going to take something like a cruel deflection in the last minute of the game for us to lose. That is football though, it can be cruel.

Looking forward to the rest of the season, we have some big games coming up. I hope O'Donnell and Shields didn't pick up bad injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

Double double bubble burst in a cruel way after a gallant display by Dundalk after only arriving home from Russia on Friday. Great noise and colour created by both sets of fans. I would not begrudge Cork City their win they have worked hard this season and played some great football like when they played Rovers off the park winning 5-0 in Tallaght in the FAI Cup Quarter Final.
    AZ Alkmaar in Tallaght on November 24th next for the lilywhites a must win and huge game, first a well earned rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

My 4 and a half year old grandson is a Dundalk supporter, he was at last year's and today's cup final , was also at a CL match in the Aviva. He does not live anywhere remotely near Dundalk, have to get him a jersey from Santa now. We are pats fans though :)
    Dundalk were very brave today, tiredness caught up on them in second half but they got a second wind in extra time and very nearly pulled it off. 2 best sides in the country.

secman wrote: »
    My 4 and a half year old grandson is a Dundalk supporter, he was at last year's and today's cup final , was also at a CL match in the Aviva. He does not live anywhere remotely near Dundalk, have to get him a jersey from Santa now. We are pats fans though :)
    Dundalk were very brave today, tiredness caught up on them in second half but they got a second wind in extra time and very nearly pulled it off. 2 best sides in the country.

Getting him in that jersey early so that in 10 years he doesn't get slagged by "the lads" for jumping on the bandwagon of the Champions League winners! Great Parenting! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Great game and great atmosphere. Very close game and I completely disagree with the posts that said Dundalk definitely deserved to win it. Penalties would have been an equal outcome for the game imo. The second half is one of the best halves we've played against Dundalk in terms of pressure, completely dominant for long spells, McMillan barely got a kick. The goal was just one of those things really, could have happened for either team. Nice to see O'Donnell go to the trouble to congratulate McNulty in front of City fans.

Looking forward to next year's battles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Enjoyable match with a cracking atmosphere, some amount of flares lit by both sets of fans. Dundalk dominated the first 30-35 imnutes but they didn't create an awful lot and Cork started to come into it. McNulty made a great save from Macmillan before half time. Second half Cork started to take over and created better chances than Dundalk did with Rogers having to make some good saves especially one from Ogbene. Dundalk then came back into it for the last 10-15 minutes of the second half and they had two good header chance with O'Donnell and Kilduff wasted. Extra time was fairly even although I thought Finn had scored from a short free kick that just went wide.

Then when I was looking forward to penos Maguire took a weakish shot that took a deflection that took it past Rogers. Someone on the Dart I was talking to called it the worst goal to win a cup final but I disagree with this, Fagan's first in 2014 was much scrappier than Maguires' IMO. Dundalk almost had a chance after the goal with Massey I think getting the ball in the box and having a shot blocked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Well done to Cork but I find it amazing that Dundalk looked the more likely to score in the last 10 minutes of regulation time and throughout extra time.(obviously aside from the goal) If I was a city supporter I would be worried with that last 40 minutes performance against a team that basically just walked off a plane after playing one of the top teams in Europe. I'd question Caulfields position on that performance alone. The FAI have a lot to answer for. Well done city though and for all the near misses they've had to ensure recently it's good to see the fans have something to celebrate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

justshane wrote: »
    Well done to Cork but I find it amazing that Dundalk looked the more likely to score in the last 10 minutes of regulation time and throughout extra time.(obviously aside from the goal) If I was a city supporter I would be worried with that last 40 minutes performance against a team that basically just walked off a plane after playing one of the top teams in Europe. I'd question Caulfields position on that performance alone. The FAI have a lot to answer for. Well done city though and for all the near misses they've had to ensure recently it's good to see the fans have something to celebrate.

So much has been made of the Dundalk schedule, and fair enough they only played on Thursday, but over the course of the season they've only played 2 more games than us. They're supremely fit, as a we, but they have a little edge there. Plus they have had more experience on bigger pitches this season.

Questioning our performance after just winning the cup is a bit rich. We gave up very little against Dundalk. How many teams can say that this season? If we had gone out and played expansively, we'd have been punished. You might have enjoyed the game a bit more, but personally I'd prefer a cup win. Caulfied has managed that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Really enjoyed the game. Dundalk edged it I felt but not to the degree that they can feel robbed. Cork created the better chances and finally took one with almost the last kick of the game! Fantastic atmosphere when the goal went in.
    So much has been made of the Dundalk schedule, and fair enough they only played on Thursday, but over the course of the season they've only played 2 more games than us. They're supremely fit, as a we, but they have a little edge there. Plus they have had more experience on bigger pitches this season.

Are you sure this is true? They played 6 games extra in Europe alone? 4 so far with two more to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

justshane wrote: »

We just won the FAI Cup in Lansdowne Road in front of over 25,000 people with a goal into our end in the 121st minute. Worried? I am in me f*ck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

What a terrific day. Was a very close affair could have gone either way although i thought we just about shaded it.

It means more to Cork as a win for Dundalk would have club thinking been another "what if" year club.

Would I rather have won league? YES.

But hopefully yesterday will give players belief they can acheive more

Not much between the teams, Dundalk are better, but next season Cork now have push on and get few players to get to Dundalks level.

Not much between the teams, Dundalk are better, but next season Cork now have push on and get few players to get to Dundalks level.

If you need to get new players to get to Dundalk's level, there is more than "not much" between the teams.

It will be interesting to see whether the cup win spurs Cork on or satisfies the hunger to win something.

Congrats on the win btw, I doubt any LOI follower would begrudge Cork silverware considering the thankless task of pursuing Dundalk for three years.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Are you sure this is true? They played 6 games extra in Europe alone? 4 so far with two more to come.

Cork played 6 games in European competition. I presume they are counting Linfield as a "game in Europe".

Dundalk have played 10, so the difference is 4 (if you think playing a half fit Linfield is the same as taking on Bate/Legia/Zenit/AZ etc.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Dundalk have played 10, so the difference is 4 (if you think playing a half fit Linfield is the same as taking on Bate/Legia/Zenit/AZ etc.)

No but it's prob about the same level as playing FH. Besides, playing 120 mins of football is 120 mins of football regardless of opponent. Obviously travel is tough though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Disappointing day but a decent scrap between two very hungry sides. Neither team played their best but the game was absorbing given how much each team put into the game. No quarter asked or given from either side. I think we were the better team overall but we can have no complaints.

None of our players bar maybe Finn and O'Donnell hit the heights they are capable of. McEleney worked hard but nothing really came off for him. Horgan's crosses were a tad underhit all day. Anyway, thankfully our season doesn't end on that sour note. There are more battles ahead right up to next month and maybe even beyond. Should be good craic in Cork this evening. One of teh most sickening sights of the day was watching the Cork lads take their tops off and jiggle their wobbly bellies after the Maguire goal. An image that will haunt me for a long time.

Pighead wrote: »
    Disappointing day but a decent scrap between two very hungry sides. Neither team played their best but the game was absorbing given how much each team put into the game. No quarter asked or given from either side. I think we were the better team overall but we can have no complaints.

None of our players bar maybe Finn and O'Donnell hit the heights they are capable of. McEleney worked hard but nothing really came off for him. Horgan's crosses were a tad underhit all day. Anyway, thankfully our season doesn't end on that sour note. There are more battles ahead right up to next month and maybe even beyond. Should be good craic in Cork this evening. One of teh most sickening sights of the day was watching the Cork lads take their tops off and jiggle their wobbly bellies after the Maguire goal. An image that will haunt me for a long time.
    Disgraceful from Cork. How can you attract younger fans with behaviour like this.

Omackeral wrote: »
    No but it's prob about the same level as playing FH. Besides, playing 120 mins of football is 120 mins of football regardless of opponent. Obviously travel is tough though.

100 places in the UEFA coefficient table usually signifies a difference. FH were also seeded in the second round of the Champions League qualifiers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ripping up seats, throwing Golf Balls at away end or watching few beer guts hmmm..

Sorry for the tit for tat

MD1990 wrote: »
    Disgraceful from Cork. How can you attract younger fans with behaviour like this.

I genuinely don't know if this is sarcasm.................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

Attendance of 26,400 up just over 5% on last seasons 25,103 which is impressive enough considering the minimal marketing by the FAI. The FAI Cup final has great pricing at €30 for premium and €10/€5 for the rest of the ground but the great value needs to be backed by a strong marketing campaign, image 51,700 at an FAI Cup final, its possible with the right marketing approach!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Attendance of 26,400 up just over 5% on last seasons 25,103 which is impressive enough considering the minimal marketing by the FAI. The FAI Cup final has great pricing at €30 for premium and €10/€5 for the rest of the ground but the great value needs to be backed by a strong marketing campaign, image 51,700 at an FAI Cup final, its possible with the right marketing approach!!!

I think 30k is about the best you could really hope for this season, even if you gave free admission. Cork and Dundalk have been in so many cup final type games over the last three years. Obviously the FAI Finals themselves but these top of the table clashes too, including the winner take all league fixture at Oriel a couple of years ago, which sold out. Dundalk's title wins and European games have probably taken the shine off a cup final appearance and loads of Cork fans probably were sick to death of playing bridesmaids too. Probably a bit of burnout from both camps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

I'll never get tired of watching this. Genuinely thought it was creeping just past the post at the time. To see it nestle in the bottom corner. Pure f*cking ecstasy.

https://twitter.com/SoccRepublic/status/795571819076055040

FB_IMG_1478503379551.jpg.d9f6227b761dda3c7a12390257250534.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

FB_IMG_1478603100534.jpg.25ff67e35068c6584607116a7d684adb.jpg

Credits to Doug Minihane.
    'Greatest LOI team ever'. He knew what he was doing.

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    FB_IMG_1478603100534.jpg.25ff67e35068c6584607116a7d684adb.jpg

Credits to Doug Minihane.
    'Greatest LOI team ever'. He knew what he was doing.

Yeah it was retaliation for this. Funny seeing the Cork agenda backfiring when it was one of your lads that was at it first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

doncarlos wrote: »
    Yeah it was retaliation for this. Funny seeing the Cork agenda backfiring when it was one of your lads that was at it first.

I don't agree with Beatties one either. All I'm saying is that the Dundalk team are really terrible losers and can't cope when it doesn't go their way. Poor Stevie couldn't handle not refereeing the game.

• Advertisement
Advertisement