Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski Piste Navigation App?

Options
  • 06-11-2016 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi Guys

I'm a lost idiot on the slopes and need an app to tell me where to go.

I'm searching for an app that can direct you to your chosen destination (piste or lift).

Ideally I'd like one with audio prompts similar to a car sat back. As an example it might give you audio directions as you approach a piste fork.

I haven't found anything of the kind yet.

Anyone tried anything like this?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

You'd want money to burn, but these would do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭topazblue

haha honestly, who is buying them!

With the advances in gps and many map systems showing the piste runs, surely there must be an app that navigates you based on your current location and chosen destination...

Genuinely surprised i havent come across anything yet

Crystal skis app is decent enough for planned routes, thats the closest help ive found

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

I get lost too , think we all do but the resort pocket map is your only man here :)
    GPS is too sketchy in thick cloud etc and batteries, phones , devices dont like the cold.

Yep standing at a junction with map open upside down and blowing around in the wind , gloves flaffing about and poles falling and general idiocy is the way to go, all part of the craic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

The navionics ski app has a route planner on it but I don't know if it will give you directions as I haven't had the chance to try it out in the field yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

A lot of the bigger resorts have their own apps some which have a map feature to show you where you are. It won't talk to you though. Bear in mind you will probably have to pay data roaming .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

What you want is something like fatmap.com

It looks like they've added more European maps than what they had a launch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Have you a waterproof phone or case? Came close to wrecking my phone last year after dropping it while taking a photo. Some snow got in the headphone jack and the phone was convinced there were headphones plugged in for a few hours. I stuck it in a car hot air vent for 30 mins and it was Ok then. Also touch screen gloves, pain in the arse to pull gloves off the whole time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Touch screen gloves from Quicksilver in TK Maxx now for €10! Just in case. Not aware of any digital guidance aids, some resorts are on Google Maps, Zermatt, being one, all the pistes etc are mapped and available.

There are some good digital piste map apps but none give directions, you have to rely on your old boy scout skills.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Fattes wrote: »
    Touch screen gloves from Quicksilver in TK Maxx now for €10!

I got Burton Gore-Tex touchscreen gloves in TK recently for 30 quid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Meh! Half the fun for me is just getting on the board, and taking the next piste that looks nice :D, I don't carry a piste map with me.
    I don't like "commuting" between destination pistes tbh, and end up quite grumpy. The others in my group all like traveling to them but I get bored by lunchtime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

cormee wrote: »
    Meh! Half the fun for me is just getting on the board, and taking the next piste that looks nice :D, I don't carry a piste map with me.
    I don't like "commuting" between destination pistes tbh, and end up quite grumpy. The others in my group all like traveling to them but I get bored by lunchtime.

I'm the guy that always gets a map but it either turns to wet mush by the end of the first day or it's last seen flying into the face of whomever is following me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

I'm the guy that always gets a map but it either turns to wet mush by the end of the first day or it's last seen flying into the face of whomever is following me.

The guy at the top of the lift, trying to hold the map open, in driving snow, with your gloves off and your goggles up! Then spending half an hour trying to fold it correctly before giving it up and rolling it into a ball of pulp, the same ball you'll find hardened in your pocket when you are packing for your next trip :D

Advertisement