Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 205: Alvarez v McGregor (Event Discussion) - FAQ's in OP

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Alvarez via Submission
    Woodley will be too tired chasing him for a few rounds, he has 2 rounds max to land a right hand or its gonna be a very long night getting kicked in the cranium.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

I know this sounds like a hilariously made up chinese whisper story but at least i know the sighting part isn't thanks to the sneaky pics he took.
    A friend of a friend was in Philadelphia airport last night, spotted Alvarez & Woodley running into each other, overheard them talking & basically Alvarez said something along the lines of everyone expects him to come out shooting & heavy on the wrestling but that that's not the plan at all, if he stands & trades I think it's gonna be a bad night for'em :P

liW07H4.jpg

z54ICWc.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,916 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

McGregor via Decision
    Or he knew your friend was listening, that he'd tell you, you'd post on boards, John Kavanagh would read it, he'd tell Conor not to bother defending takedowns and Eddie ends up grinding out a 50-45 decision. That man is diabolical!

Seriously, if Eddie decides to stand (which he may very well do for pride "I don't need to wrassle") he's gonna have a baaaad tiiiiiime.

Alvarez via Submission
    Nate Diaz's snapchat is funny hes watching Eddie getting a whooping off Cowboy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jmx009

Depp wrote: »
    duke roufus really got me thinking yesterday, could you have a more perfect coach to try decode and strategize for wonderboy? still backing wonderboy to get the w but I dont think it'll be as open and shut as i thought at first!

Duke is one of the good guys BUT i lost some respect for him when he allowed CM Punk to fight Mickey Gall. Yes, i know Punk is a grown man who can decide for himself. But a Coach has a responsibility not to allow a fighter to get inside a cage, risking his life and health, if he isn't ready.

Punk clearly wasn't ready. He crossed feet many times when he came forward from the bell, which is a foundation level principle he butchered. He had completely no answers for Gall on the ground and didn't even execute basic principles. Gall went 6 minutes with Gordon Ryan at the NAGA World no-gi's in 2015 without being submitted. If you can hang 6 minutes with a phenom, you're obviously talented.

He should have said to Punk "you're not ready and if you insist on fighting i can't stand over it".
    I am pretty sure Duke adviced punk against the fight but at the end of the day you can only advice. It was a lot of money at stake for Punk, he would be stupid not to go for it. atleast that is what i think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Head Wreck

Gamebred wrote:
    Nate Diaz's snapchat is funny hes watching Eddie getting a whooping off Cowboy.

Whats his username on that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

McGregor via Decision
    Head Wreck wrote: »
    Whats his username on that

natediaz209

McGregor via Decision
    No harm IMO, move Meisha fight down to prelim, shorter main card. Plus Timmay was prob gonna win and could do without his Murica BS post fight speech.

• Advertisement

Alvarez via Submission
    Zero-Cool wrote: »
    No harm IMO, move Meisha fight down to prelim, shorter main card. Plus Timmay was prob gonna win and could do without his Murica BS post fight speech.

Very good point it saved us from his cheesey murican **** talk,

Also it probably brings the fights forward 20mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

One fight down, Kennedy/Evans off
    Something to do with Evans' medicals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

McGregor via Decision
    A sacrifice to the MMA Gods so that the main card will remain strong. Bless you Rashad, took one for the greater good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

McGregor via Decision
    martyos121 wrote: »
    A sacrifice to the MMA Gods so that the main card will remain strong. Bless you Rashad, took one for the greater good.

I totally read that wrong and thought Kennedy had pulled out. I'd say Tim is sick as a pig.

They should really seriously put the Aljo Sterling fight on now instead.

I hope they just make it a 5 fight PPV and slide Tate/Pennington or Cerrone/Gastelum onto the Fox prelims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

McGregor via Submission
    I hope they keep Kennedy on the card. I wonder what type of shape Jacare is in? Was anybody smart enough to stay ready?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

I totally read that wrong and thought Kennedy had pulled out. I'd say Tim is sick as a pig.

They should really seriously put the Aljo Sterling fight on now instead.

According to Ariel Tim doesn't know yet. He's on the plane to NY and doesn't land until 5pmET so unless he's got WiFi he wouldn't have heard.

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/796093639877394432

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

McGregor via Decision
    This is very good

McGregor via Decision
    He's gonna be a happy bunny in an hours time so :rolleyes:

Bisping might have healed like Wolverine and throw his hat in the ring but can't see Dana wanting another title defence on the card.

Kennedy's team have said they havn't been told the fight's off. The fighters are always the last to be told anything by the UFC :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

McGregor via Decision
    The injury gods are getting peckish...hopefully this is sufficient ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

If there's no replacement then hopefully they will just slide Miesha or Cowboy's fight down to the prelims and give us a 5 fight main card.

I'll take staying up till about 6am over having to stay up until about 7am all day long!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Probably one of the least interesting fights on the card anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Alvarez via Submission
    https://twitter.com/TimKennedyMMA/status/796112862661984256

No chance of it happening but it'd be epic Diaz returning on a few days notice his money demands I'd guess would be the main stumbling block.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

McGregor via Decision
    Gamebred wrote:
    No chance of it happening but it'd be epic Diaz returning on a few days notice his money demands I'd guess would be the main stumbling block.

Nicks return is too big for prelims... I doubt they would waste him on 205.

Alvarez via Submission
    Nicks return is too big for prelims... I doubt they would waste him on 205.

Yeah I really think they are gonna pay him and get him back for 209.

McGregor via Decision
    Gamebred wrote:
    Yeah I really think they are gonna pay him and get him back for 209.

I said it before. If at least one of the Diaz boys isn't on 209 it's a travesty.

McGregor via Decision
    Tim calling out Silva and Bisping as well. I was fine with him being off the card but I'd love if Andy accepted and kicked the head off him.

FrontRowBrian (I know, I know) says it's Kennedy's last fight on his contract. With how outspoken he has been about Reebok etc he's probably dying to fight so he can head off to Bellator.

McGregor via Decision
    Zero-Cool wrote:
    Tim calling out Silva and Bisping as well. I was fine with him being off the card but I'd love if Andy accepted and kicked the head off him.

Hard to see how anyone of the stature of Bisping, Diaz, Anderson would benefit from last minute replacement on a prelim (even if its NY).

• Advertisement

Alvarez via Submission
    https://twitter.com/danawhite/status/796119233012834304

Jesus Rashad looked great too shame for him all that work cutting down.

McGregor via Decision
    Any idea what exactly is up with Rashad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,893 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

McGregor via Decision

Failed his medicals. Hard to know what might be flaring up.

McGregor via Decision

Something was flagged up in his MRI scan. He was set for further tests and whatever happened the NY athletic commission wouldn't grant him a license to fight.

Alvarez via Submission
    Hope its nothing to do with brain trauma.

Gamebred wrote: »
    Hope its nothing to do with brain trauma.

Absolutely. Rashad himself says he's going to keep fighting but irregularities on anew MRI scan can never be good.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/11/8/13567946/rashad-evans-explains-why-he-was-pulled-from-ufc-205

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,657 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

McGregor via Decision
    I'm leaning towards Conor by TKO in the second as a likely outcome.

But I also placed a bet on Conor by Guillotine. A value bet, rather than likely outcome.
    There's method to my madness.

McGregor via Decision
    I would love to see Conor win by guillotine after stuffing a takedown.

• Advertisement

McGregor via Decision
    Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I would love to see Conor win by guillotine after stuffing a takedown.

I would too, and not just because it nets me a payout

McGregor via Decision
    Mellor wrote: »
    I'm leaning towards Conor by TKO in the second as a likely outcome.

But I also placed a bet on Conor by Guillotine. A value bet, rather than likely outcome.
    There's method to my madness.

How do you see that going down? From the clinch or from top control?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

McGregor via Submission
    Rashad and Kennedy both getting their show money. There will be no replacement fight. I was looking forward to seeing Kennedy back in the octagon but it's good that both guys got paid.

McGregor via Decision

Alvarez via Submission
    Roddy setting traps for Edward, he doesn't posses a jab so that 1 less thing to worry about, Roddy is 10 times the coach Alvarez has game planning anyways with REAL fighting experience not some padman ex army novice,

If Diaz is getting dropped 3 times and his legs buckling while fresh I really think its in Eddies best interest to be slept instead of rounds of being butchered with his face rearranged.

McGregor via Decision
    How do you see that going down? From the clinch or from top control?

Off his back, likely against the cage. The guillotine will be there (as will the arching elbow finish which is a real threat). Conor won't purposely go to the ground. But if the bell is approaching it might be a no-lose attack, or if Eddie actually completes the takedown.

The factors that cinched it for me were;

In all the SBG rolling videos I've seen, the guillotine is something that features a lot. I've seen John go for it verses Gunni, where Gunni did that back bridge escape. Conor used the same escape verses Mendes on instinct, so he's probably quite familiar.

Prior to the Aldo fight, John said Conor "has a fantastic guillotine off his back". Which is where Eddie wants to put him.

In the last Jiu Jitsu match we've seen him he. He went for a Guillotine just after the 5min mark. It actually cost him the match, but the fact that he went for it rather than looking for the back suggests to me it's a preferred sub.

And he's been training/rolling with Dilion Danis, who won NoGi Pan Absolute division by submitting both opponents with guillotines - obviously he picked up a thing or two from the best guillotiner in the world, Marcelo.

If it ever gonna happen, this is it. John, Dillion, Marcelo. All the guillotines are lining up. It's a long shot obviously, but the odds reflect that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

So erm lads....is everyone still going this morning ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

McGregor via Decision
    Mellor wrote: »
    I would too, and not just because it nets me a payout

Did you pick a round?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I can't predict this fight at all, to be honest. The only thing I'm willing to go on is that I don't believe it'll go to a decision. Aside from that, I'm all guesses.

I am a little surprised that the overwhelming general consensus, and I don't mean specifically on boards, is that McGregor will win by TKO in the first few rounds.

Opinions were fairly split before the scheduled RDA - Conor fight, for example, and Alvarez then took him out in fairly spectacular fashion. He's an extremely experienced, talented and well rounded fighter. If McGregor does manage to win, it'll be an impressive feat. Even without taking into account the two belts.

McGregor via Decision

Did you pick a round?
    Nope, any one will do me

• Advertisement
Advertisement