Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 205: Alvarez v McGregor (Event Discussion) - FAQ's in OP

1404142434446»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

McGregor via Decision

great breakdown from serra!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Alvarez via Submission
    Serra has been a hater a long time and now hes on his balls pmsl, noticed a heap of fighters and athletes hopping on the bandwagon since saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

McGregor via Decision
    Just back to normality after a crazy crazy weekend in NYC. The last thing I'd thought we'd see is that absolute domination of Alvarez by McGregor. One of the most dominant performances I've seen, Didn't get to enjoy it live as I was so nervous and just waiting for Alvarez to drop but as soon as I watched it back it truly was a special performance from Conor. Him vs Khabib would be a high level match as you could possibly make in the UFC today, and I'll be damned if I'm picking against McGregor.

Big thanks to Swashbuckler for the Weigh In tickets too. Was a great evening and managed to get on the MMAFighting UFC preview show too haha!

McGregor via Decision

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

McGregor via Decision
    Forgot to mention, disgrace that Douglas Crosby scored the 1st rd in Woodley/Wonderboy a 10-8. He clearly has problems with Ray Longo and with Wonderboy kinda training there he should never have been allowed to judge that fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

McGregor via Decision
    Breaking:

Dana just said the following

McGregors Baby to fight woodly at 209 for Title!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

McGregor via Decision
    scudzilla wrote: »
    Eddie's Gameplan went out of the window the second the first punch landed, his new gameplan was to avoid getting hit, same as most others fighters conor's faced

nedk6d.jpg

Alvarez via Submission

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

McGregor via Decision
    Roddys vlogs are so much better than the Mac Life ones

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Perry12

Alvarez began the fight using kicks to Conor's calf/inside lower leg which sort of caught Conor by surprise I thought. One of them caught him as he was throwing a punch and resulted in him dropping to one knee. If Eddie wasn't so jumpy he may have capitalised on it a bit more but do you reckon it's something a future opponent might use, as repeatedly using it would prevent Conor planting the right foot before throwing the left?

Just something I'd never seen anyone use against him previously.

Note: Been reading this forum a loooong time and get great insights from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Roddy can be proud of that vlog, great footage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

McGregor via Submission
    Perry12 wrote: »
    Alvarez began the fight using kicks to Conor's calf/inside lower leg which sort of caught Conor by surprise I thought. One of them caught him as he was throwing a punch and resulted in him dropping to one knee. If Eddie wasn't so jumpy he may have capitalised on it a bit more but do you reckon it's something a future opponent might use, as repeatedly using it would prevent Conor planting the right foot before throwing the left?

Just something I'd never seen anyone use against him previously.

Note: Been reading this forum a loooong time and get great insights from it.

Those kicks are dodgy, I'm pretty sure one of them connected with Conor's shin and he didn't even check it. They are risky against those wide stances because the shin gives so much protection.

A better tactic would be a lead low kick(assuming you are orthodox) to the back of Conor's front leg, much fleshier, can damage the knee and you can't really check them. Unless you are a Muay Thai guy though it's not a very natural kick for most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

McGregor via Decision
    what a weeknd, only back
    the buzz of a event only the irish can create
    got a pic with coach kavanagh before the flight yesterday
    felt bad asking him but couldnt resist
    meet nate diaz shopping on saturday , my god he is huge in real life, nice bloke aswell

the face on the new york police and security after the weight ins friday night was priceless
    the thought it was turning into a riot, no thats just how we party!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Gamebred wrote: »

great video!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

McGregor via Decision
    .ak wrote: »
    Classy for the first paragraph maybe, but to me that just reads as 'I lost the fight, Conor didn't win it'.

Seems a bit sore. Understandable - but maybe the reason such an experienced fighter didn't follow a simple game plan such as circling LEFT and not RIGHT is because you were shaken by a much superior fighter in the opening moment of the match Eddie?

In fairness Eddie and Mark Henry congratulated Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Wonderlife

I've never set foot in SBG but delighted to get a shout out all the same

McGregor via Decision
    Wonderlife wrote: »
    I've never set foot in SBG but delighted to get a shout out all the same

You just registered for that. And I thought I had no life. Congratulations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Alvarez via Decision
    15085734_1868885266674692_1599891463816470763_n.jpg?oh=09bbf1a0d76a3c53c5f8ed8b758ae538&oe=58BBC78A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

McGregor via Decision
    sc86 wrote: »
    what a weeknd, only back
    the buzz of a event only the irish can create
    got a pic with coach kavanagh before the flight yesterday
    felt bad asking him but couldnt resist
    meet nate diaz shopping on saturday , my god he is huge in real life, nice bloke aswell

Keep looking over your shoulder for the next week or so as Wonderfullife will be absolutely seething.

Alvarez via Submission

Awesome

• Advertisement

McGregor via Submission

Awesome

Khabib's a savage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Awesome

This and the slow-mo video are always a post fight week highlight. The slow-mo one was very short this time though - it's normally 5 mins long - great for a fan who doesn't train!

McGregor via Decision

Alvarez via Submission
    http://www.podcastone.com/pg/jsp/program/episode.jsp?programID=706&pid=1691720

Alvarez on the Sonnen Podcast today starts at 6min mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

http://www.podcastone.com/pg/jsp/program/episode.jsp?programID=706&pid=1691720

Alvarez on the Sonnen Podcast today starts at 6min mark.

Sonnen seems to change what he says depending on who he's talking to......here he 'doesn't see the skillset' elsewhere he compared Conor to Babe Ruth .....which the **** is it :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

McGregor via Decision
    sonofenoch wrote: »
    Sonnen seems to change what he says depending on who he's talking to......here he 'doesn't see the skillset' elsewhere he compared Conor to Babe Ruth .....which the **** is it :cool:

I never listen to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Saipanne wrote: »
    I never listen to him.

Well here's another one, after the fight 'greatest fighter of all time' ......here Alverez is the better fighter :confused:

McGregor via Decision
    Conor Mcgregor has faster hands than Michael Johnson, I don't think Kahbib would be able to control the fight.

Kahbib said he could stand with Johnson and that he wanted to do that but his corner told him to shoot, he could not have stood with Johnson.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pauldoo

McGregor via Decision
    cloudatlas wrote: »
    Conor Mcgregor has faster hands than Michael Johnson, I don't think Kahbib would be able to control the fight.

Kahbib said he could stand with Johnson and that he wanted to do that but his corner told him to shoot, he could not have stood with Johnson.

I think is over looked when talking about kabib, Johnson had him looking very shaky on the feet. If it was McGregor landing it would be lights out. Mightn't be too easy for kabib to close the distance and get Conor down.

• Advertisement

Alvarez via Submission
    Funny how on the day this card was ''easily'' beating every single record accord to Dana including ppv trends and as the battle with Conor begins its changed to ''one of the highest ppv's ever'' ie not the the record.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Head Wreck

Gamebred wrote:
    Funny how on the day this card was ''easily'' beating every single record accord to Dana including ppv trends and as the battle with Conor begins its changed to ''one of the highest ppv's ever'' ie not the the record.

When will they release the buy rate?

Alvarez via Submission
    Head Wreck wrote: »

Nope and never will officially, some media sources (Dave Meltzer) usually have the figure or close to it so they say,

My guess is 1.4m.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Niall_76

Alvarez makes himself sound stupid here. Such a seasoned fighter and he says he can't follow a game plan.

As for Chael saying there should be a rematch, give me a break. He was toyed with.

McGregor via Submission
    Nope and never will officially, some media sources (Dave Meltzer) usually have the figure or close to it so they say,

My guess is 1.4m.

I'd say it smashed 1.4m personally. Dana has already said they broke the record, all this "we have to wait to see how the numbers are trending" is BS. They'll know the second the main event is over how many PPV's it sold, these are simple metrics to track, they will know down to the last digit how much it sold.

We'll find out in a week or so when Meltzer reports on it but my guess would be 1.7m

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Just getting around to seeing the earlier fights I missed. On round 3 of her fighr Jaysus Miesha Tate some bird even with her face battered

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

McGregor via Decision
    Head Wreck wrote: »
    The short answer is they won't. Not in any official capacity.
    I don't think a battle with Conor has anything to do with that. His contract isn't a PPV bonus, he'll have some sort of transparency on that. There's no way they just take what ever figure the UFC claim.
    Lukker- wrote: »
    They'll know the second the main event is over how many PPV's it sold, these are simple metrics to track, they will know down to the last digit how much it sold.
    Do they?
    I've no idea how those metrics are tracked. But I'd assume that not done by the UFC themselves. The disruption is done be multiple cable/satellite companies. I guess that the UFC won't have the final number until they get details from them all, and verify them.

People who order the encore screening the next day would count towards it too.
    They'd probably have the UFC.tv numbers straight away, but they don't go towards the PPV count afaik. I don't thinking international PPVs (like in Australia) do either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

McGregor via Decision
    Mellor wrote: »
    I don't think a battle with Conor has anything to do with that. His contract isn't a PPV bonus, he'll have some sort of transparency on that. There's no way they just take what ever figure the UFC claim.

Do they?
    I've no idea how those metrics are tracked. But I'd assume that not done by the UFC themselves. The disruption is done be multiple cable/satellite companies. I guess that the UFC won't have the final number until they get details from them all, and verify them.

International PPV's don't count towards the total. So whatever is sold in Germany on PPV doesn't count. However, all PPV's sold through official UFC site do count - and more importantly there's no split.

I.e. PPV's bought through conventional means have a 55-45 (or 60-40 depending on who to believe) split with cable providers. Whereas the UFC gets 100% of the $60 from units sold through the website.

What they can tell straight away are those numbers which reflect the overall picture. It's how Dana knows so quickly how a PPV is looking - he just extrapolates it. So, if UFC 205 did say 137,000 buys through UFC TV compared to UFC 202 doing 109,000 he can have a good idea that's reflected across the board.

McGregor via Submission
    Mellor wrote: »

Do they?

People who order the encore screening the next day would count towards it too.
    They'd probably have the UFC.tv numbers straight away, but they don't go towards the PPV count afaik. I don't thinking international PPVs (like in Australia) do either.

I've worked in the games industry a bit and the ease of tracking metrics these days is incredibly simple. Even with complexities of multi-platform, 3rd party sales, bricks and mortar sales. It can all be followed relatively easily. Of course I think companies tend to push the narrative that they are hard to track because in this regards, information is power and can negatively affect the companies so they tend to keep the info close to their chest.

But PPV's seem very simple. They are all booked with credit cards through cable companies or perhaps you can order PPV's and have the cost added to your next bill. Regardless each of these cable companies will be able to calculate the exact amount they have sold on the night with simple bean counter software. The UFC will have exact numbers from each cable company right after the event finishes, or the next day if people can purchase a replay of it. It's just a matter of tallying them all together after that. I think the "we have to wait for the numbers to see how we did" is more of a throwback to old fashion PPV when they were less reliant on computer systems to handle these things but it provides a convenient excuse to not disclose them.

I think this info is probably closely guarded at first but eventually disseminates down the chain until an industry person like Meltzer gets a tip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

McGregor via Decision
    International PPV's don't count towards the total. So whatever is sold in Germany on PPV doesn't count. However, all PPV's sold through official UFC site do count - and more importantly there's no split.
    Have you seen that confirmed anywhere? I've always been led to believe the the PPV score is excluding online PPVs. Which I always thought was a little sneaky (in terms of PPV share).

It would certainly make more sense that it's counted. But I've never seen that confirmed.
    Lukker- wrote: »
    But PPV's seem very simple. They are all booked with credit cards through cable companies or perhaps you can order PPV's and have the cost added to your next bill. Regardless each of these cable companies will be able to calculate the exact amount they have sold on the night with simple bean counter software. The UFC will have exact numbers from each cable company right after the event finishes, or the next day if people can purchase a replay of it. It's just a matter of tallying them all together after that. I think the "we have to wait for the numbers to see how we did" is more of a throwback to old fashion PPV when they were less reliant on computer systems to handle these things but it provides a convenient excuse to not disclose them.
    Yeah sure, It's relatively routine for each company. It's probably completely automated. With maybe a minor approval before sending to UFC. My company has almost realtime reporting on similar info.

But I meant that the cable companies won't have an official final count until they stop airing an event. I can order it through Fox right up until tomorrow night. They probably selling very few encore screenings now that fight pass has dropped from a 30 day delay to 3 days.
    I'd imagine the initial predictions "trending to be the biggest ever" is based off of pre-orders or something. Or just a lie ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

McGregor via Decision

Advertisement