Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 205: Alvarez v McGregor (Event Discussion) - FAQ's in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

Height: 5' 9" ( 175 cm )
    Weight: 170 lb ( 77 kg )
    Reach 74"
    Leg Reach 42"

Are Woodleys stats, maybe McGregor fancies himself against him? By comparison here are Conors:

Weight: 145 lb ( 65 kg )
    Reach 74"
    Leg Reach 40"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

McGregor via Decision
    If McGregor wins, what's left for him in terms of signature achievements that are in any way realistic. I mean events that might be on the same hype and significance scale as 205. I'm thinking:

1) Diaz trilogy title fight (I don't see the same level of excitement sir a "standard" title defence)

2) WW title shot

3) GSP superfight

Anything else?

McGregor via Decision
    joshrogan wrote: »
    Weight: 170 lb ( 77 kg )
    Reach 74"
    Leg Reach 42"

Are Woodleys stats, maybe McGregor fancies himself against him? By comparison here are Conors:

Weight: 145 lb ( 65 kg )
    Reach 74"
    Leg Reach 40"

McGregor weighs 145? Really?

Woodley weighs 170? Really?

Out of competition, Woodley has 25-30 odd pounds on him I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

McGregor via Decision
    How many times has that fat fcuk Gastelum missed weight now.

Fire his unprofessional burger eating ass.

How in gods name can you be in camp and miss weight by that much. Does he have no nutrition guy and anyone keeping any eye on his weight and what he's eating?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Is it just me, or does it look like absolutely nothing to anyone else?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Alvarez via Submission
    Stuffing his face in new york probably with Pizza and Hotdogs missing by 1lb in bad enough but 10lb wtf is he playing at has he no coach around him? must be surrounded by yes men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Gamebred wrote: »
    Stuffing his face in new york probably with Pizza and Hotdogs missing by 1lb in bad enough but 10lb wtf is he playing at has he no coach around him? must be surrounded by yes men.

Surrounded by fucking delivery men

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

McGregor via Decision
    Woodleys body language doesnt appear to tell the storying hes telling on twitter.

Spot on. Not atall like he said on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Cerrone talking to some media. Worth watching just to see his reaction to being asked about fighting on the Belfast card at the end. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Weird face off there, Conor obviously didn't like Woodley telling him to stay away from 170 at the presser. Conor has no place at 170 though.

Alvarez via Submission
    https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/797115758933344256

Stoked for McGregor Woodley.

Alvarez via Submission
    https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/797115758933344256

Stoked for McGregor Woodley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

McGregor via Decision
    Not even finished with this fight and he's already building up the next one. Always a step ahead. ;)

He needs to stay away from 170 though in all seriousness. Still, I'd love to see him move up just for Aldo's reaction to it. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

McGregor via Decision
    Called it in a piece i wrote. 2 belts at 2 weight classes won't be enough for him. He wants a legacy. If he beats Eddie he'll be going after 170 strap. Whether he can possibly beat Wonderboy or Woodley is a complete different kettle of fish. I'd fancy his chances more against Woodley obviously but he'd be a big underdog in either fight.

McGregor via Decision
    Very insightful of you.

• Advertisement

Conor hasn't a hope against any top 10 welterweight. It's silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

McGregor via Decision
    Very insightful of you.

Why do you even bother posting in this forum? Not one of your posts contribute a thing. All you do is snipe about Conor or his fans or posters who like Conor.

I've never once seen you contribute an iota of original discussion, content or opinion.

Whatever helps you sleep at night....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

That is three times he has missed weight for 170. (Kevin Gastelum)

After the first two times he was made move up to 185. Then he was allowed back to 170 and has missed it for a third time.

The guy must have very little control around food. Even at 170 when he makes it he looks softish.

I have a feeling he will get cut for this. I feel bad for him as he is a fighter with lots of potential.

Alvarez via Submission
    https://twitter.com/GamebredFighter/status/797121760919519232

My namesake and hero to the rescue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,919 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

McGregor via Decision
    McGregor should stop at LW. Woodley would murder him

McGregor via Decision
    Why do you even bother posting in this forum? Not one of your posts contribute a thing. All you do is snipe about Conor or his fans or posters who like Conor.

I've never once seen you contribute an iota of original discussion, content or opinion.

Whatever helps you sleep at night....

That's factually untrue.

Your journalism career is over before it started. I'll happily call you out on it. You know your stuff but the real reason you're here is self promotion, nothing more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

McGregor via Decision
    If Alvarez is a bigger version of Mendes I don't know what Woodley is.

His explosive takedowns would have McGregor taken down at will. He would man handle Conor, hits harder, literally would have close to no chance of beating him.

Worst match up possible at 170 imo.

Even Conor isn't mad enough to think he can take Woodley.

McGregor via Decision
    That's factually untrue.

Your journalism career is over before it started. I'll happily call you out on it. You know your stuff but the real reason you're here is self promotion, nothing more.

I posted over 1,000 posts in the MMA forum before i started a blog.

I started a blog because Boardsies said they liked my writing and ASKED me to do one.

Self-promotion? I've NEVER once linked anybody to my twitter or facebook or instagram. I've never once given anybody my real name. My blog has 5 posts on it, no adverts and i put in countless hours of my time.

On the other hand all you do is come in here and derail threads slagging off McGregor and his fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

McGregor via KO/TKO
    TheTownie wrote: »
    Cerrone talking to some media. Worth watching just to see his reaction to being asked about fighting on the Belfast card at the end. :D

Joe Duffy V Cowboy in Belfast confirmed :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

McGregor via Decision
    How about go fcuk yourself?

Lol, that's the stuff!

Lads there's a spot after opening up on 205 if you can make weight?

Alvarez via Submission
    Cw_O68PXgAAyVl7.jpg

Thought Eddie looked terrific weighing in, arms look a tad big wouldnt want the lactic acid filling them.

Alvarez via Submission

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

McGregor via Submission
    Cw_O68PXgAAyVl7.jpg

Thought Eddie looked terrific weighing in, arms look a tad big wouldnt want the lactic acid filling them.

Yup, he has a tough cut but he's well suited to it. He has very little body fat and carries lots of water weight. I'd say he can hydrate in no time. He looked a little draw out at the face, but so did Conor tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

McGregor via KO/TKO
    This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

McGregor via Decision
    darced wrote:

That would not end well for Conor. Gotta laugh at the way Woodley sold it on twitter and then to see what really happened. Conor giving Woodley fierce abuse on twitter now. Haha

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

McGregor via Decision
    I think Eirsport have taken away the €16.99 205 deal for 2 months. No option on the site to get that anymore. Fantastic way of doing business chaps :( Looks like I will have to use other means to get the card now....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jmx009

That is three times he has missed weight for 170. (Kevin Gastelum)

After the first two times he was made move up to 185. Then he was allowed back to 170 and has missed it for a third time.

The guy must have very little control around food. Even at 170 when he makes it he looks softish.

I have a feeling he will get cut for this. I feel bad for him as he is a fighter with lots of potential.

I dont think its a food problem. Its more of a body type issue. Its a lot easier for some to cut weight while it is extremely hard for others. I think he will most likely move back up in weight class. Dont think he will be cut from the rooster because of this, he is considered to be one of the top prospects in the UFC right now. I am sure he will come back , the question is , will he be a good fighter in the middleweight division... probably not but time will tell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭midnight city

Cw_O68PXgAAyVl7.jpg

That's freaky look at his right knee. His face is in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

McGregor via KO/TKO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

McGregor via Decision
    lol why did souza weigh in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

McGregor via Decision
    froog wrote: »

In order to get his show money for his fight accorfing to sholler

McGregor via Submission
    darced wrote: »

I think USADA plays a big role too. I have no doubt that people were using things like diuretics to cut weight before, things like clen to cut body fat. And they don't have the comfort of an IV after, knowing they can hydrate while they rest/sleep, might put people off doing more extreme cuts.

If you get big between camps it doesn't help either. Body fat can be extremely tricky for some people to cut, even with extreme caloric deficits peoples bodies go into survival mode and preserve body fat as a survival measure. The immune system plays a big role too, and I don't think the antiquated calories in/calories out tells even close to the whole picture anymore.

He should be focusing on 185 at this stage though, I feel for him a bit because the weight classes in the UFC don't accommodate everybody. There are plenty of others who's ideal bodyweight tends to be between 170-185 or between 185 and 205. Kelvin looks too small for MW but he's gonna have to fight there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

McGregor via Decision
    ASOT wrote: »
    In order to get his show money for his fight accorfing to sholler

i don't get it though, isn't that a different card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

McGregor via Decision
    Paully D wrote: »

Sky customers can subscribe here at a special UFC 205 offer price of €16.99 per month (no annual contract, but minimum 2 months required)

Coming up at €25?? Any ideas?

McGregor via Submission
    froog wrote: »

UFC paid him to be stand-in for Weidman/Romero after his fight with Rockhold fell through.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

McGregor via Decision
    Coming up at €25?? Any ideas?

I asked them on twitter. Said the €16.99 "Early Bird" deal was over last night. I never saw a mention of an early bird deal in any of the information for that. **** thing for them to do right before the fights. I am not paying €50

McGregor via Decision
    Gastelum missing weight is BAD but it's not the worst thing he's done today.

His real crime is not having the decency to give Cowboy a knock on his door to explain the situation. They're staying in the same bloody hotel.

Knock on the mans door and say "listen bro, i'm struggling with this weight cut, how about i weigh in first and then you can rehydrate up a few lbs and we get it on?".

At least give Cowboy the courtesy of an option!

Cowboy is the type of guy who would have accepted the fight at 175 or 180lbs no problem. All they had to be was within 7lbs of each other.

Criminal. He should be cut for this. How many Cerrone fans have come all the way to NY or bought this PPV only to be screwed by cowardice?

That's all this was. Unprofessional? Yes 100%. But that could have been worked around if he had the decency and the balls to knock on Cowboys door at 7am and explain the situation.

McGregor via Submission

His real crime is not having the decency to give Cowboy a knock on his door to explain the situation. They're staying in the same bloody hotel.

Knock on the mans door and say "listen bro, i'm struggling with this weight cut, how about i weigh in first and then you can rehydrate up a few lbs and we get it on?".

Cowboy is the type of guy who would have accepted the fight at 175 or 180lbs no problem. All they had to be was within 7lbs of each other.

Criminal. He should be cut for this. How many Cerrone fans have come all the way to NY or bought this PPV only to be screwed by cowardice?

That's all this was. Unprofessional? Yes 100%. But that could have been worked around if he had the decency and the balls to knock on Cowboys door at 7am and explain the situation.

Dana said he's never letting him fight at 170 again. Which is odd considering he is the one suggested it to him in the first place!

Dana is kinda guilty imo for fighters missing weight. When they come into the organisation, if there is a fighter he wants to push he often tries to get them to compete at a lower weight class so they have more of an advantage. He wanted Alvarez to fight at 145, Alvarez was like 10-0 at 170 and said to make 145 he'd have to cut off a leg.

Sage too at LW, although I think he's moved up to 170 for good hopefully.

You even see it on Looking for a Fight, when he's talking to the regional fighters after they win his first question is usually "Can you make the weight class below you?". I know its often in the fighters best interest but I think it hurts the promotion long term when fighters can't make weight

• Advertisement

That's weird, it should suit them better.

McGregor via Submission
    That's weird, it should suit them better.

It gives them more recovery time but means fighters have to start their cuts earlier the day before, perhaps fighters aren't used to it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

McGregor via Decision

The cynic in me wonders if Gastellum was aware of the NYC rules, i.e. the 7lb difference issue.

If he thought that a catchweight would be an option with him weighing fat and Cowboy making weight then maybe he deliberately didn't tell Cowboy. That way (he thought) the fight would go ahead AND Cerrone would have had to endure the weight cut.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

McGregor via Decision
    @EagererBeaver and Wonderfullife - Cut out your childish nonsense.

EagererBeaver enough of the smart comments and constant remarks. If you don't have anything constructive to say don't reply at all or go derailing the thread.

Wonderfullife you contribute to the thread but plenty of others do and have done long before you joined. But drop the whole I contribute more than you and i put in so much time thing - its getting tiresome. This isnt a competition and there are no prizes.

If you both cant get on then just go and block each other but quit derailing the threads with your little spats and snide remarks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement