Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dyson Hairdryer

Options
  • 06-11-2016 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

Has anyone tried the new Dyson hairdryer yet? I was going to treat myself to it but have just realised that it's power is only 1600 watts, much weaker than my current dryer at 2200. I am wondering how it could possibly cut drying time as per the promotional ads when it is so weak. At almost €400 I want to make sure it is something special.
    Has anyone used it yet? Let me know your experience of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

If it can cut drying time and energy consumption is that not a good thing?

While the energy consumption (400W) is the same power rating it doesn't mean that it's "weaker". And it doesn't mean that it won't dry your hair quicker.

The Dyson hand dryers for example use less than half the power of a conventional hand dryer and are much faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Thank you for that. I have always bought electrical goods with the highest wattage rating as I thought it meant better /stronger power. I must do more research.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I've no intention of buying one (not just because of the cost but also because I'm usually too lazy to blowdry my hair!) but would be interested to see an honest/impartial review - so far I've only seen blog posts and vlogs about it where the dryer was given in exchange for a review, so obviously everyone in that scenario calls it life-changing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

I haven't used it but my sister got it and regretted it. At first she loved it as it dried her hair really fast but after a few uses she noticed her hair was much drier

• Registered Users Posts: 28,936 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

At first she loved it as it dried her hair really fast but after a few uses she noticed her hair was much dryer.

It's a hair dryer. What was she expecting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Quazzie wrote: »
    It's a hair dryer. What was she expecting?

Not sure if you're trying to be smart or if that's a genuine question. The condition of her hair had worsened after using the Dyson hairdryer, compared to her previous one.

Does that clear it up for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

One blogger I follow (not sure if I'm allowed name names on here?) got it in exchange for a review and she said it was good but if she was deciding whether or not to purchase for herself she wouldn't, that its not 400euro good..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

I haven't used it but my sister got it and regretted it. At first she loved it as it dried her hair really fast but after a few uses she noticed her hair was much drier

That is interesting. The dyson is supposed to be better for hair than other dryers and prevents damage.
    I will definitely take this on board. Maybe it is all advertising hype after all. But I suppose if something sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Although I thought the price was due to the the super power. Disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

annascott wrote: »
    That is interesting. The dyson is supposed to be better for hair than other dryers and prevents damage.
    I will definitely take this on board. Maybe it is all advertising hype after all. But I suppose if something sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Although I thought the price was due to the the super power. Disappointed.

I'm interested to wait to see if hairdressers make the move, if it's as amazing as they claim it'll be well worth the investment for a professional who dries hair every day!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

annascott wrote: »

There's an EU directive that hair dryers can only be a certain strength of "blow" (I've forgotten the technical term for it!) So the dyson is no stronger than others on the market. I tried it in store and it does feel nice and light but I don't know if I could justify 400 for it. I'd rather put it towards a bag or an outift. I've a professional dryer that's about 15 years old and it's just so strong in comparison to my other T3 and my sister's GHD one. Its the business I'll be so sad when it dies!

Actually it's £299 in the UK if you do decide to get it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I am not tempted to spend that much on hairdrier and unfortunately my gadget mad partner doesn't need to use hairdiers so I have no direct experience. However I would trust Guardian reviews and they are fairly positive about it.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/fashion/2016/jul/16/dyson-supersonic-hairdryer-sali-hughes-beauty?client=ms-android-h3g-ie

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/shortcuts/2016/apr/27/dyson-supersonic-hairdryer-worth-299-test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Gator88

Been thinking on one of these for a Christmas prescent. OP started this thread just in time.

Advertisement