Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU plug question

Options
  • 06-11-2016 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

I recently ordered a cheap soldering iron that was mentioned here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057667136

It's only going to be used for small hobby stuff. It comes with an EU plug fitted for 220V. I have a good quality fused travel adaptor but it can be a PITA - is bulky and I can never find it when I need it :o

Would it be safe to chop the fitted EU plug and add a fused 3 pin one?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

FanadMan wrote: »

Yes. It'll be fine. I've done this a few times with equipment I got from Europe and the US. Just be sure that you use the correct fuse rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

crosstownk wrote: »
    FanadMan wrote: »

Yes. It'll be fine. I've done this a few times with equipment I got from Europe and the US. Just be sure that you use the correct fuse rating.
    fine for EU equipment, just be sure with US equipment that is can take 230V at 50Hz

Fusing is not an issue generally, as EU & US items aren't fused...so larger fuses are fine (although I would tend to choose a fuse size close to the load being drawn)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Dardania wrote: »
    fine for EU equipment, just be sure with US equipment that is can take 230V at 50Hz

Agreed. US stuff needs a bit more consideration before purchase. Also, US wiring colours are different so more care is needed when replacing the plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Cheers folks :) Was thinking it'd be safe enough but better safe than sorry. Now, just have to wait the month or two for it to be delivered....maybe it'll arrive for xmas and can go under the tree lol

Advertisement