Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storing bike in apartment

Options
  • 06-11-2016 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi,

recently I've bought new full-sus MTB and storing it at home isn't really an option.
    We live in Dun Laoghaire in apartment building and our apartment building has bike room. I have 2 bikes there (total value just above a grand) but I'm quite worried to put my new MTB there.
    I've bought Oxford Sold Gold rated chain, we have a stands mounted to the ground but I browsed stolen bikes tread and it seems like that doesn't stop thieves. I'm considering bike insurance (separate from home, I don't want to affect home insurance premium). Anything else I can do to protect it? Our building has CCTV but I don't think that's a big problem for scumbags on van with hoodies.

So right now:
    1. Locked bike room in locked apartment building
    2. Oxford Gold rated chain
    3. Floor mounted bike stand
    4. CCTV
    5. Potentially - buying an insurance.
    Did I miss anything? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Record frame number and register with guards
    Take photos of bike for recovery
    How is the chain used? I'm not sure of the setup you have exactly but normally I have chain or cable for wheels and saddle to bike and I lock for frame and cable to stand. No slack so it can't be levered off. Good lock on the chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭OgreSwamp

Thanks.
    I can't lock frame with U-lock in the current setup. That's why I bought oxford 10mm chain. I plan to chain frame. Wheels aren't that expensive so insurance excess won't cover a wheel.

Is there anyone who actually claimed from bikeinsurance.ie? It seems like it is the only bike insurance left in Ireland. All others are out of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

OgreSwamp wrote: »
    Thanks.
    I can't lock frame with U-lock in the current setup. That's why I bought oxford 10mm chain. I plan to chain frame. Wheels aren't that expensive so insurance excess won't cover a wheel.

Is there anyone who actually claimed from bikeinsurance.ie? It seems like it is the only bike insurance left in Ireland. All others are out of business.

I would suggest looking the wheels to the bike less for claims purposes more as a deterrent. If the current setup means that that a frame cannot be U locked to then I would imagine others may be less carefull about how they lock their bike and may lock it with the wheel, then they remove that bike leaving the wheel and take your wheel they have a complete bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

Any chance of storing inside the apartment (bar the hassle of bringing up and down everyday?).

Some good ideas here for cheap storage options which might be of interest?

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2014/06/top-10-most-popular-ikea-hacks-ever/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

I live in an apartment and I keep the expensive road bikes and mtbs inside.
    The management company got cctv installed because of illegal dumping but that's not a deterrent. There is a communal bike shed for our complex which was broken into twice last year and three our mtbs got taken, they left the 10 year old hybrid commuting bike.
    There's a lift in my complex and it is a pain in the h bringing up them up and down now but its not worth the risk leaving them in a communal shed, no matter how well secured they are in the shed if thieves want to take them they will.

• Advertisement

I just had a call with bicycleinsurance.ie (seems like the only company in Ireland) and they rejected to insure my nike as it was bought in Germany.

Storing in apartment isn't really an option. Right now we have a spare room but in several months it will be occupied by baby and all baby related stuff (trolleys etc).

@groovyg, do you know if any of the stolen MTBs was locked?

All bikes in our shed are under 500 for sure. Most of them around 100. There are couple bikes which looks like fancy recreational bikes with cup holders etc. But both my current bikes there (road and old hardtail) are the most expensive one. So if someone is braking into our bike room - my bikes are defo the first targets.

Is there anything I can do to be sure it will be there is thieves get into the room? Sold Gold chain isn't enough as far as I understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Can you clarify what the bike rack is like? Is it just bolted down with regular bolts (Easy to whip off)? Is it close to the wall thus preventing you locking it to the frame?

I usually lock my commuter via the rear fork, gently bypassing the spokes, and though the stand. Means a would be thief needs to do the most damage to get it off, ruining their payday.

Really any chain is pretty easy to clip with a long enough lock-cutter. We've a 16" in the shed that'll get through most. It being a chain makes it easier as you dont have to to worry about angling the cutter, you can place it on the ground and use your weight. Hardened U-Locks aren't invincible, but a little better. Cordless angle grinders are noisy.

I'd be trying a new locking technique with a pair of U's and a wheel loop. After that you just gotta pray. There are motion alarms that you can fit in the seattube but in a shared storage area that might be false positive prone.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I had two fairly crappy low end mountain bikes locked up in the apartment complex where we live (Dublin City centre). Down in the underground car park, which is monitored by CCTV behind electric gates.

Came down one day and both saddles were gone :mad:

Had a chat with the caretaker and it turns out there were a group of lads who were breaking in over a couple of days and robbing bikes. They were waiting till a car went through the electric gates, kicking a ball in as an excuse to enter and ran in after it.

Watched them on the CCTV recording for a bit, they were reefing at the bikes by their saddles like lunatics, trying to find ones with weak chains. One lad managed to snap the chain on a fancy looking racer and out the door he went with it.

I definitely won't be leaving anything other than my car down there in future.

ED E wrote: »
    Can you clarify what the bike rack is like? Is it just bolted down with regular bolts (Easy to whip off)? Is it close to the wall thus preventing you locking it to the frame?

Thanks. I have checked id and stand isn't bolded at all. Here is how it looks like.
    Bike room has a normal door lock but I believe experienced people can open it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

No way would I lock expensive bikes to that rack.

I keep my two "good" bikes in the apartment. My partner complains about it, but it's not going to change any time soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Surely the correct place to keep any really beautiful bike is by the bed, where you can see it when you first open your eyes in the morning, so you greet the day with a happy smile?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

OgreSwamp wrote: »
    Thanks. I have checked id and stand isn't bolded at all. Here is how it looks like.
    Bike room has a normal door lock but I believe experienced people can open it.

Id be purchasing a bookshelf IIWY.

BS_Lrg_04.jpg

Advertisement