Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer from Business and Law to BCL?

• 06-11-2016 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I'm a first year BBL student in UCD and I absolutely hate my business modules. I made the worst mistake of my life putting business and law down first, because I reasoned that it would give me more options if I didn't like law. For some reason I never thought about the possibility of not liking business and then being stuck hating half the degree which is the position I am in now.

I repeated the leaving cert and got 560 points, and by studying law already I thought I would have a pretty decent chance of being able to transfer into straight law. Well on the UCD transfer page it says for a history student, the average number of places available for transfer into semester two law is 2, only 2 places. I'm not sure if that means only two people from all of UCD can transfer into law for semester 2, or only 2 people from the history course transferred into it.

I'm getting the impression I will have to reapply through CAO again next year. This is horrible for two reasons. One, I will have to pay fees again, this time full fees, and my parents already nearly broke the bank funding my repeat of the leaving cert. Secondly, my age. I am 19 turning 20 in January and if I have to reapply again next year I will turning 21 in first year and that is quite old. I know being 21 is super young in the grand scheme of things but with everyone else being 18/19 in first year I will feel super out of place and everyone else my age will be moving on with their life.

Sorry for long post, this is half a rant, half appealing for help. If anyone could help in anyway it would be much appreciated. I will be heading straight to the programme advisor tomorrow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Nqueen

it should be easy enough to transfer into BCL at this stage. I know people have done it much later in their degree. Might require taking law modules as electives. Places might be limited but not many would be interested in transferring. See your programme advisor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭parkerpen

Would imagine it should be possible. Did you stay in BBL or change to BCL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

It should be easy enough early on. Talk to the student adviser about it - I think it is still Nadia Clarkin. She helped me out a lot when I was in UCD. Sit down with her, in her office, as close to week one of the second semester as you can and you'll be sorted out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭parkerpen

I would think that if the O.P. was looking for a transfer then it would have had to take place in November, at the latest, to avoid having to reapply under CAO for 2017.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

parkerpen wrote: »
    I would think that if the O.P. was looking for a transfer then it would have had to take place in November, at the latest, to avoid having to reapply under CAO for 2017.

For a proper transfer maybe, but the OP is probably currently doing Constitutional Law, Contract Law, Law of Tort (if the course is still roughly the same as it was when I did it). Those are also the core modules for the course the OP wants to move into. At this stage the OP is probably doing 3 business modules, which means if things moved around now they could achieve 45 law credits by the end of semester 2 - only 5 fewer than most BCL students - and probably more than some BCL students who will fail a few credits.

Law moved from a 3 year to a 4 year degree a few years ago without a meaningful change in what was considered core. Due to that there is more than enough time over the 4 years to catch up on those missed credits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Mh2018

I’m currently torn between choosing the b&l course or the pure law bcl course in ucd. I’ve wanted to study law for ages but I’m considering the b&l because 1. I want to keep my options open and 2. Im afraid law on it’s own could be boring and not enough of a challenge.

Could you please offer me some insight on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

Mh2018 wrote: »
    I’m currently torn between choosing the b&l course or the pure law bcl course in ucd. I’ve wanted to study law for ages but I’m considering the b&l because 1. I want to keep my options open and 2. Im afraid law on it’s own could be boring and not enough of a challenge.

Could you please offer me some insight on this?

Do pure law and take a structured elective or else do one of the law with programmes imo. Anyone I know who wanted to do law but did B&L to keep options open has ended up hating the business stuff because a lot of it is spoof/skills that you cannot learn in a classroom.

Advertisement