Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

some more 223 advice needed

• 06-11-2016 10:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭

me again,was looking at 223 ammo,seen letters and words like moly coated,full metal jacket,boat tail,psp,what does it all mean,and are they any good for hunting,i know mine is a 1 in 12 twist so im limited to about 55 grain.i need to learn fast,at the wrong side of 50:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I was the same mate. Fmj are only good for target. They'll go straight through an animal. What about hollow point? I use remington 55gr hp and find them great round. They always drop the animal on the spot. Can't say more highly of them. Great round. I get mine for 13.50 a box of 20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Full metal jacketed bullets are traditionally bullets with a lead core completely in cased in a copper jacket. High velocity can melt the outer surface of a lead bullet causing lead fouling. The copper coating doesn't melt and reduces fouling in the rifle groves. Fouling still occurs in the form of 'copper fouling' this then led to the practice of coating jacketed bullets in a dry lubricants known as moly to reduce that fouling.

Boat tail describes one of a few variations of bullet detailing the rear of the bullet that is seated in the case. Bullet shape will dictate performance.

PSP - Pointed Soft Point, is a bullet where the tip is unjacketed and the bullet can be termed soft point. This tip deforms on contact with the target causing the bullet to expand transferring its energy to the target and causeing a wider wound channel than the bullets original calibre. Bullet tips can also be jacketed hollow points, polymer tipped (plastic tip which causes bullet to expand or break up) and then there are many more used for different applications. Bullet design is both interesting and mind boggling but the internet is your friend here.

As for hunting stay away from FMJ Full, Metal Jacket, these are really only suitable for the range and under Geneva Conventions used by the military. Expanding ammunition is what you need and if it is for foxes then a highly flangible round is what you want for a quick safe kill. Even expanding ammo needs to be matched to its target species. A soft target won't allow for deformation and the round will pass through, while a highly flangible round will 'blow up' before reaching vitals or breaking necessary bone.
    Stick with your recommended grain weight in relation to your barrel twist but IMO don't hunt with FMJ , even the humble .22 in solids can pass through a bunny with out a humane dispatch.

Advertisement