Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public health nurse

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭appledrop

My PHN is superb. This is our first child + we had a tough time with the little guy at the beginning as he had reflux + was slow to be on weight. She wasn't too worried about the weight but I was so she booked in extra visits for me to weight him. She also gave advise on different things we could try for reflux till we got is sorted. She always checked with me a date + time that would suit.

I think some people here are being a bit harsh. The PHN can only offer advice + guidelines. Every child is going to be different so you may have to adapt them to suit your child but they can't follow every latest fad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

appledrop wrote: »
    My PHN is superb. This is our first child + we had a tough time with the little guy at the beginning as he had reflux + was slow to be on weight. She wasn't too worried about the weight but I was so she booked in extra visits for me to weight him. She also gave advise on different things we could try for reflux till we got is sorted. She always checked with me a date + time that would suit.

I think some people here are being a bit harsh. The PHN can only offer advice + guidelines. Every child is going to be different so you may have to adapt them to suit your child but they can't follow every latest fad.

Proper childcare is not a fad. Neither is breastfeeding, and any PHN advising the child be put on formula and being so behind in the times she gets the fear about freezing breast milk shouldn't be a practicing nurse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭appledrop

Obviously in that particular case the PHN was wrong+ was stuck in the 70s with her advice on breastfeeding. But I don't think it's fair to sat that a lot of them are useless as ours is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

appledrop wrote: »
    Obviously in that particular case the PHN was wrong+ was stuck in the 70s with her advice on breastfeeding. But I don't think it's fair to sat that a lot of them are useless as ours is excellent.

No which is why I didn't say that - the replacement PHN I fought for is far better and very pleasant and helpful :o

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

ShaSha the phn I had with my first child was just like yours. Old school and completely discouraged breastfeeding. That's a good few years ago but I'm delighted to see so many things have changed since last time round!

• Advertisement
Advertisement