Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Cycling Gear?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Sometimes over layering can be counterproductive if the clothing is packed tightly it eliminates the insulating barrier of warm air.

Windstopper fabrics are quite common now, just a laminate layer, they're useful for chill winds but not very warm in and of themselves and can be murderously heat retentive in milder weather.

Shoe covers are great. I have a set of dhb neoprene toe covers that have served me well for the last two winters (in addition to full overshoes for long spins)

Something like the dhb wisp packable wind anorak over a warm jacket with a decent base layer should do it.

This morning I had a helly hansen base layer, a warm jacket and the Altura night vision jacket over that - the Altura is not great on wind resistance unfortunately. I bought an Endura thermolight scullcap which arrived yesterday but was useless in today's cold.

I did ask a lad stopped at the lights this morning if his overshoes were any good, they were neoprene and apparently well worth the cost :)

I guess it just takes a while to find what works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

This morning I had a helly hansen base layer, a warm jacket and the Altura night vision jacket over that - the Altura is not great on wind resistance unfortunately. I bought an Endura thermolight scullcap which arrived yesterday but was useless in today's cold.

I did ask a lad stopped at the lights this morning if his overshoes were any good, they were neoprene and apparently well worth the cost :)

I guess it just takes a while to find what works.

There's a strong element of YMMV. I know someone who wears a winter jacket 80% of the year which would kill me.

Try a decent merino baselayer (retains heat when damp) a cheapish windstopper will have no breathability whatsoever but is an effective barrier when needed.

I find the Baabaa peaked Merino caps from Endura really good but my true deep winter friend is a Belgian winter cap with earflaps.

I wear clear glasses unless the sun is blazing and rely on my peak (I wear cotton caps during the milder weather so big into peakery) and that actually helps a lot with wind on the face.

If you have some buffs /neckwarmers you can cover ears and throat pretty effectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Pennys have fitness gloves, scarves and hats which I'm finding great for cycling in at the moment! About €3 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

OP what did you wear on your cycle this morning? I was still cold with a base layer and two jackets!! Legs were okay but my feet were numb in last mile or so. Anyone come through the Phoenix Park this morning? The wind chill was ferocious even if the sun and frost made it a beautiful ride in.

I came through the park alright, had the following gear:
    • Long sleeve under armor
    • DHB roubaix tights
    • merino blend socks
    • endura overshoes
    • winter gloves (hands really can't tolerate the cold)
    • balaclava
    • high-vis gilet with mesh back (useful as a wind-barrier, visibility is a plus)

Was probably a little bit on the too-toasty side (though as you say the wind was pretty cool on the arms), and took the balaclava off when stopped at lights in the city centre. Deliberately brought in shorts and knee warmers in my bag as I don't expect the return journey to be as cold.

Advertisement