Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to ask for increased salary after phone interview

Options
  • 07-11-2016 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I did a phone interview and was asked my salary expectations. I gave the salary from the job I just left. Now I'm thinking I should have asked for around 10% more.

I'm just used to working with recruiters, who might be better at dealing with employers in this regard.

Is it acceptable for me, once I do the face to face interview, to tell them that in fact I'd like to get another few euro on top of what I had previously stated? And if so, how would I even open negotiations on this? Like I said, I usually deal with recruiters who handle all this.

Should I wait until I get an offer/contract and then say "Actually can we discuss salary...?" and see if they'll budge? Or should I get it in early, before I even get an offer? Or should I just accept the mistake and learn the lesson for the future?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Personally I'd wait until there is an offer on the table.
    In my company when we get to the face to face interviews, if we feel we're going to offer the person the job we discuss their salary expectations so you may be asked anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Good advice above.
    Wait until there is something to negotiate on, by the time you have an offer they will have a bit more of an interest in you and might be willing to negotiate.

Advertisement