Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EIR Broadband: brand new line after 9 weeks wait

Options
  • 07-11-2016 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hello from the sticks!

I live in co. Kilkenny, Muckalee.

After a mere 9 weeks and 27 calls to EIR, my line went active tonight.

I was sold eFibre 100 .... the UL/DL, after multiple tests is 312/256 kb

EIR IS THE WORST

I will try to get tech support, but more than likely I'll have to cancel the contract.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,543 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

theluke79 wrote: »
    I was sold eFibre 100 .... the UL/DL, after multiple tests is 312/256 kb

You were sold an up to 100 Mbps DL (20 Mbps UL) broadand product with line speed being technology, line quality and distance dependant.

I assume you're connected direct to the Castlecomer exchange, max speed at that exchange for efibre (VDSL unvectored) is 70 Mbps DL if you live close to the exchange which drops to 7 Mbps DL at a max available line distance of 1500m from the exchange, see open-eir's NGA Fibre Broadband Network map.

Beyond 1500m you're stuck with ADSL 1 at 8 Mbps DL close to the exchange, according to this map, and decreasing with distance beyond the exchange.

What is your distance (phone line route) from the exchange?

What is your Downstream Attenuation (db) from the modem stats? Use it here to get an estimate of your line distance and what speeds you should be getting.

Line Speed Checker - http://www.digiweb.ie/line-checker/

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Lines that are difficult to complete the provide for are generally borderline at all lines. Problem being that sales people will never not try.

Imagine Fibreconnect / 3 4G will likely be the route to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭theluke79

The Cush wrote: »
    You were sold an up to 100 Mbps DL (20 Mbps UL) broadand product with line speed being technology, line quality and distance dependant.

Thank you for the clear answer, I will be carrying out the tests tonight.

Eir is just terrible, instead of running the tests and THEN tell me how good-bad my line would have been, the told me "you're reached by eFibre".

I will just cancel the contract and hope to move out soon.

There is now way I will ever receive a decent speed, it was gr8 to have Three with 4G, until it lasted....

Eir is just terrible, instead of running the tests and THEN tell me how good-bad my line would have been, the told me "you're reached by eFibre".

You said you got a new line, they can't test it until the line is active and it won't be active until you place an order. The sales person won't know your distance from the exchange, line quality or expected speed so its all up to 100Mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

The sales person won't know your distance from the exchange, ...

This information is available with the Eircode if the sales people in eir gave a sh*te .

Eir = Eircom = Telecom Eireann = Dept. of P&T ( Post & Telegraph ) .. 30 years on , nothing changes !!

• Advertisement

bmm wrote: »
    This information is available with the Eircode if the sales people in eir gave a sh*te .

The Eircode data was added to the APQ file from August for active lines, I guess its feet on the ground for non-active/non-existent lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

bmm wrote: »

Eir = Eircom = Telecom Eireann = Dept. of P&T ( Post & Telegraph ) .. 30 years on , nothing changes !!
    The Eircode data was added to the APQ file from August for active lines, I guess its feet on the ground for non-active/non-existent lines.

No, it doesnt work that way.

You give Sales person A your eircode. They know where you are.
    Sales work out the exchange is 3km away, give speed estimate.
    Provisioning tech goes out, connects the line, actually routes around another 2km from appropriate CCP.
    You bitch that sales are liars.

Without a really detailed layout for the copper network that doesnt exist in a queryable form inactive pairs cant be rated. No point building said when they're trying to dismantle that network.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭theluke79

You said you got a new line, they can't test it until the line is active and it won't be active until you place an order. The sales person won't know your distance from the exchange, line quality or expected speed so its all up to 100Mbps.

Sales in Eir HAVE TO know where I am and they are dishonest as do not tell you upfront "hey look, you're x KM from the exchange, forget fibre, best case you'r gonna get 2mb/s".

They cannot retain this kind of information, they KNOW what works what not....

The KN Networks guy that came to wire the house told me immediately to forget any real broandband... And he did not do any test whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Sales know fcuk all, they are only out to make a sale and get the commission

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭irishkopite 2011

Sales in Eir HAVE TO know where I am and they are dishonest as do not tell you upfront "hey look, you're x KM from the exchange, forget fibre, best case you'r gonna get 2mb/s".
    Yes eir know where your house is and where the exchange is but lines don't go directly from the exchange to your house. The line may go 200meters up a road and then double back on its self, the cables will also have to go up and down the poles, all of this will add distance which affects your broadband and companies can't tell what speeds you can get until you are connected.

• Advertisement
Advertisement