Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with 4G antenna relocation

• 07-11-2016 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi!

Does anybody know of professionals that provide support with the installation and fine tuning of 4G antennas?

I live close to KK city, in Muckalee.

I used to live a happy life with 3 AYCE, my B593s22 and a polarized MIMO LTE antenna, until, following a supposed mast upgrade, my router stopped connecting to the nearby mast.

Three refuses to acknowledge the issue.
    Eircom does not offer broadband here.
    Imagine LTE does not cover my EirCode and it is very expensive.

I need to relocate the antenna, somewhere higher up on the roof , point it in the right direction, extend the cable and figure out how to compensate signal loss.

I cannot do this on my own (lack of tools and proper tech knowledge).

Help is highly appreciated.;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭theluke79

Anyone.?
    theluke79 wrote: »
    Hi!

Does anybody know of professionals that provide support with the installation and fine tuning of 4G antennas?

I live close to KK city, in Muckalee.

I used to live a happy life with 3 AYCE, my B593s22 and a polarized MIMO LTE antenna, until, following a supposed mast upgrade, my router stopped connecting to the nearby mast.

Three refuses to acknowledge the issue.
    Eircom does not offer broadband here.
    Imagine LTE does not cover my EirCode and it is very expensive.

I need to relocate the antenna, somewhere higher up on the roof , point it in the right direction, extend the cable and figure out how to compensate signal loss.

I cannot do this on my own (lack of tools and proper tech knowledge).

Help is highly appreciated.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Wouldn't a TV Aerial/Satellite installer be the type of person that would be able to mount an antennae? Must be plenty of them knocking about the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭alec76

I am almost sure that any amplifier/signal booster etc for GSM network installed without provider permission is illegal, so professional (i.e. Comreg certified) whouldn't touch it IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

alec76 wrote: »
    I am almost sure that any amplifier/signal booster etc for GSM network installed without provider permission is illegal, so professional (i.e. Comreg certified) whouldn't touch it IMO.

Thats not what this is. The OP has an antenna which is perfectly above board. Its a GSM repeater thats licensed.

OP did you determine if they changed band or if a sector is just dead now? If your antenna is for the wrong part of the spectrum itd be good to find out before sending a lad up a ladder on your dime.

ED E wrote: »
    Thats not what this is. The OP has an antenna which is perfectly above board. Its a GSM repeater thats licensed.

OP did you determine if they changed band or if a sector is just dead now? If your antenna is for the wrong part of the spectrum itd be good to find out before sending a lad up a ladder on your dime.

Hi
    Antenna is 100% legal, as any other antenna you would attatch to the router.

As for the frequency, I will check with opensignal and cross checked what my antenna is in terms of the spectrum it can get: 1800 seems to be the answer.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Dual-Yagi-Tube-LTE-MiMo-1710-2700MHz-HIGH-GAIN-18dBI-/272421291051?hash=item3f6d93042b

Also with this antenna, results are bad

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Omni-Directional-4G-3G-LTE-MIMO-External-Antenna-for-Huawei-E5172-/231649349389?hash=item35ef608f0d

It used to be very stable and 20/20 steady, getting to 35mb in bittorrent

I used to connect to the mast in close to the water reservoir in Muckalee Lower, nowadays all devices just connect North, towards Castlecomer.

• Advertisement

Was Muckalee an o2 site?

ED E wrote: »
    Was Muckalee an o2 site?

Muckalee, looking at Corey has both of and three and I used to have excellent 4g coverage from three from June 2015 til September

The top of my list would definitely be a change from Band 3 1800Mhz down to Band 20 800Mhz. Your directional antenna would just drop off the air like you've seen.

B20 is good for range so in an area like yours would make a lot of sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

Question.

There's a redundant satellite cable running from the chimney to the front room. Could this be used to for an external Ariel. Standard black sat cable with screw connectors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭editorsean

Unfortunately that coaxial cable is 75 Ohm cable which would cause an impedance mismatch as the mobile signal antennas and connections are 50 Ohm. See this earlier thread.

On the other hand, you could use that cable a way of pulling in the proper 50 Ohm cable. Just note that you will need two cables to properly use 4G.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

editorsean wrote: »
    Unfortunately that coaxial cable is 75 Ohm cable which would cause an impedance mismatch as the mobile signal antennas and connections are 50 Ohm. See this earlier thread.

On the other hand, you could use that cable a way of pulling in the proper 50 Ohm cable. Just note that you will need two cables to properly use 4G.

More that it's pinned to the roof and wall.

There are 2 sat cable (obviously for 2 tuners) running from the roof. How much of an issue is the ohm rating of the cable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭editorsean

When a signal reaches an impedance mismatch at each end, a small portion of the signal reflects the opposite direction.

When receiving a signal, this results in a portion of the signal being reflected back towards the antenna, weakening the signal that reaches the router. When sending a signal (e.g. uploading), that much stronger signal will bounce back and forth along the cable as it hits the impedance mismatch at each end until it fully dissipates. As a result, the router will be faced with a lot of extra noise trying to listen to the incoming signal that is also attenuated by the impedance mismatches.

The cables might work (I haven't actually tried using satellite/TV coaxial cable with a GSM antenna), but I doubt they will perform as good as 50 Ohm cables. If they do work, you might face issues with Skype, VoIP or anything that requires a consistent two way data stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Commsguy

Did you get this sorted out

Hello, I moved home, sold the antenna and went back to my old small 4G OMNI Antenna, suction cup to the window.
    Steady 40 down 20 up around Wallslough.
    Waiting for 4G PLUS to see what speed will be there

Advertisement