Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beginner: One Arm Weaker

• 07-11-2016 12:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭

Up to a a month ago, I never set foot in a gym. I'm male, 5 foot 5 and about 80kg, so my BMI is definitely in the overweight category.

I joined a gym. For the first two weeks, I just did my own thing just to get into the routine of going to the gym and get used to the environment. I then met with a trainer who gave me a programme to start with.

During those first few weeks, I did some bicep curls because they seemed like one of the easiest lifts to do, and I still augment the trainer's programme with them because I like doing them.

However, my left bicep is considerably weaker than the right (presumably because I'm right handed and have naturally build up strength in that arm through lifting day to day stuff).

With a weight of 7.5KG and 3 sets of 8 reps, I can just about do it all with my right arm, but I can't finish the second set with my left. I don't have this problem with the other weights as part of the trainer's programm (delt flys, chest press, low row machine).

What's the best approach for overcoming this imbalance and getting my left arm in sync with my right?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

However, my left bicep is considerably weaker than the right (presumably because I'm right handed and have naturally build up strength in that arm through lifting day to day stuff).
    Pretty much, it's completely normal.
    What's the best approach for overcoming this imbalance and getting my left arm in sync with my right?

Either do the left arm first and match those reps with the right, or

Keep doing 3 x 8 with the right, don't increase the weight until the left arm gets 3 x 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Also, make sure the movement matches. It's not about getting the weight up 8 times. It's about getting it up properly 8 times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Mellor wrote: »
    Either do the left arm first and match those reps with the right

I do this with everything where possible. Always start with the weaker side and then match it with the stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

So both arms are roughly equal in strength (right handed so been doing extra work on left) however right forearm is bigger than left. Any suggested exercises?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

TRS30 wrote: »
    So both arms are roughly equal in strength (right handed so been doing extra work on left) however right forearm is bigger than left. Any suggested exercises?

Your question and the OP's are really a very common beginners question and easily answered.

Just train both sides together, time in the gym will have both sides growing in size and strength equally without wasting time on training your right/left separately.

Its completely normal (what you and the OP are asking), don't waste time and energy worrying about it. Lift, train, rest, eat and in time everything comes together., I promise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭Dave 101

Mellor wrote: »
    Pretty much, it's completely normal.

Either do the left arm first and match those reps with the right, or

Keep doing 3 x 8 with the right, don't increase the weight until the left arm gets 3 x 8.

or do the right arm first, then match the reps with the left arm by doing it rest pause

Advertisement