Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop

Options
  • 07-11-2016 10:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭

Any good deals to be got on a laptop? Don't need anything fancy, just something to run a salon software programme (mostly) and some browsing

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

Looking for the same. Doesn't need to be too high spec just something decent for browsing or watching Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

Hi, You are going to get what you pay for.

For Netflix & Browsing - buya 10 inch tablet in Argos for €100 - €150 (or PC World, PowerCity, DID, Amazon etc)

Salon software: I presume this is Beauty/Hair salon booking software. You would have to check what the "system requirement" is to run the software. Remember these are normally shown as the minimum requirements so you would need little more for it to run smoothly and expand.

There are a lot of laptops in the €250 - €399 range but they are using Pentium & Celeron chips (which is old technology)
    The next level up is I3
    Then you have I5
    & Now I7
    Added to these are the Quad "processor" (which means it has 4 processing centers - so its quicker)

Personally, I wouldn't go any lower than an i5 processor
    (That's just me as I purchased 2 x i5s about 3 years ago and could not justify paying money for something which was not as good as 3 years ago, so I ended up getting an i7 for my daughter (college & 21st combined))

Call in to PCWorld and look at what's on offer
    Check out offers on Argos eg //www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5498411.htm
    Consider a refurbished.

But find out the requirements for the Salon software first. Do not fork out€300+ and then discover that it will not work properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

Any good deals to be got on a laptop? Don't need anything fancy, just something to run a salon software programme (mostly) and some browsing

I'm after being looking for one for a while as a Christmas present. The HP g4 250 seems to have been available from 250 stg back in July and seems excellent at this price. There are a few variations depending on the RAM needed and space. Tesco had one for 299 stg with an ssd but it's out of stock. I imagine these will come back down in price, possibly on black Friday to meet this.

Otherwise laptopsdirect seem to have a few deals and it's advertised there's a 20 pound off if u register up to which (this costs a pound). I've never used this site but here is a link http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/st/core-i5-laptops

As is said above I wasn't really considering anything below an i5. There is a lenovo one which is upgradable to 12gb RAM (currently 4) which seems a good deal also

I know its up in price but @ €699

But On ibood today
    ASUS Vivo Book
    •Intel® Core™ i7-6500U Processor, 2.5GHz (4M Cache, up to 3.1GHz)
    •17 inch Full HD screen (1920x1080)
    •12 GB DDR4 (SODIMM)
    •SATA 1 TB 5400RPM HDD (2.5 inch)
    •Windows 10 Home (64bit)
    http://www.ibood.com/ie/en/product-specs/18172/38926/asus-vivobook-173-i7-6500u-12gb-1tb.html?utm_source=email&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=IE_01

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Bravobabe wrote: »
    I know its up in price but @ €699

But On ibood today
    ASUS Vivo Book
    •Intel® Core™ i7-6500U Processor, 2.5GHz (4M Cache, up to 3.1GHz)
    •17 inch Full HD screen (1920x1080)
    •12 GB DDR4 (SODIMM)
    •SATA 1 TB 5400RPM HDD (2.5 inch)
    •Windows 10 Home (64bit)
    http://www.ibood.com/ie/en/product-specs/18172/38926/asus-vivobook-173-i7-6500u-12gb-1tb.html?utm_source=email&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=IE_01

Do a google check on Ibood and you will avoid .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

rebeve wrote: »

Been buying off them for 4 or 5 years and zero issues. Slow delivery but thats about it.

rebeve wrote: »

I've dealt with them on a few occasions.
    Apart from the set delivery charge (12.99 which is high if purchasing something for €29.99) and somewhat slow delivery (up to two weeks).

I've had no issues

But Personally I prefer to buy mid-ticket items (PC, laptop, TV) from a bricks and mortar store. Having the comfort of a physical location to go back to. I know this is all in my head (my comfort blanket).

I really only pointed this out as it is an i7 processor for €699 and yet I see "Pentiums, Celerons and i3s for €500 plus)
    Anyway the deal only lasts for 24 hours so will not be available

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭alekito

The ibood today seems ok. Decent price.

I've never bought from them before and I have reviews about them - not so good.

Is it worth the risk?

http://www.ibood.com/ie/en/product-specs/23672/60579/tomtom-spark-cardio-music-premium.html?utm_source=email&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=IE_template_0&emh=b7f3af04812afc02f2b0d0764e2de887

Advertisement