Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child safe sub-account?

Options
  • 07-11-2016 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭

Hi. Junior is getting a PS4 from Santa and I am looking into seeing if it is possible to set him up with a separate sub-account of mine. I have a long-time PS account with Playstation Plus on it. Is it possible to set up my son with an off-shoot of this account that would prohibit in-app purchases and access to the PS store?

In addition is it possible for such a sub-account to block sight of and access to non-age appropriate games that may be installed on the hard disk of the machine?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

tallpaul wrote: »
    Hi. Junior is getting a PS4 from Santa and I am looking into seeing if it is possible to set him up with a separate sub-account of mine. I have a long-time PS account with Playstation Plus on it. Is it possible to set up my son with an off-shoot of this account that would prohibit in-app purchases and access to the PS store?

In addition is it possible for such a sub-account to block sight of and access to non-age appropriate games that may be installed on the hard disk of the machine?

Yeah you can set one up for him that will stop him seeing non age appropriate stuff but be warned, a sub account won't let him play absolutely any game online, it's a ridiculous system...

The parenting controls are a million times behind Xbox unfortunately

I used to have sub accounts for our house but the no online play meant I had to end up having to set up fresh accounts so they could play games with friends etc

We lost purchases for his Vita and PS4 because of it

Best to set them up with an 18 account with no credit card and pin protect your own account, and not have any Credit card or PayPal on it, just buy PS cards from shop...

Believe it or not the PS3 actually probably had better Parental access control

It's a bit shít but it's just how it is with PS.. :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

You have to be careful with it, I had my young lad in as a sub-account when he was 11 and it wouldn't let him play FIFA. Couldn't sort it out no matter what I did, do I got him his own master account.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭uprooted tradition

tallpaul wrote: »

Yup, setting up sub accounts for youngsters is easy. I have it for my 2 boys. The younger one cannot access any online content - including playing games on line. The older one can play online so you have this control. They need their own email address to set it up.

You need to make the PS4 your primary system and they will be able to play digital games you bought too (you can set age content restrictions). You can also set spending limits so they will not be able to buy anything.

Best way to do it is to do this on the Playstation Network site but as far as I remember you can do so through the console itself as well. If you do it online at least you can have it set up for them before Santa comes along.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Yup, setting up sub accounts for youngsters is easy. I have it for my 2 boys. The younger one cannot access any online content - including playing games on line. The older one can play online so you have this control. They need their own email address to set it up.

You need to make the PS4 your primary system and they will be able to play digital games you bought too (you can set age content restrictions). You can also set spending limits so they will not be able to buy anything.

Best way to do it is to do this on the Playstation Network site but as far as I remember you can do so through the console itself as well. If you do it online at least you can have it set up for them before Santa comes along.

Is there a certain age to play online?

It would not let either of my two play anything online, they may have been under 12 at the time though...

Fieldog wrote: »

It would not let either of my two play anything online, they may have been under 12 at the time though...

I'm not sure to be honest, I have a feeling I may have had to make him older for certain things but I can't remember exactly why. If I remember correctly, I set him up, restrictions stopped him doing some things I was OK with him doing and I had to set up a second one for him - I don't think there was a way (at the time anyway) of changing his age. It was still set up as a sub account though.

• Advertisement

Fieldog wrote: »

I just googled this a little more and this may be important to the original poster too.

Apparently the ability to play on line games is based entirely on the age you put in for the child when you set up the account. If they are under 12 they will not be able to play on line for any games rated 12 or over. You can get around this (again, apparently - I haven't tried this) by ringing Sony and asking them to allow the account or by amending the DOB when setting up the account.

Advertisement