Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your season purchase?

• 07-11-2016 11:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭

OK, annual purchases? Anyone got anything major in mind?

I'm thinking of a pair of boots, I love my old (very old) ones, Burton Moto, but I'm not sure they are suited to me anymore, I think I need a stiffer pair, so am hoping to upgrade in the next few weeks. Should have bit the bullet when Sterling was at its lowest, but there you go, opportunity missed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

new boots - but will only buy them in the resort themselves.. I find places here know very little about boots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

cocker5 wrote: »
    new boots - but will only buy them in the resort themselves.. I find places here know very little about boots.

Your talking to the wrong people! Hubert in snow and rock, knows more than your average season shop worker!

Fattes wrote: »
    Your talking to the wrong people! Hubert in snow and rock, knows more than your average season shop worker!

I don't purchase boots in any ski shop i go to the same one each time... plus you have NO recourse if you buy boots here and the aren't quiet right...

when you buy them over there they will work to fix any issues during your trip (your not stuck with them for your trip) and if there's still something wrong the will take them back. wont get that service if you purchase boots here.

I don't purchase boots in any ski shop i go to the same one each time... plus you have NO recourse if you buy boots here and the aren't quiet right...

when you buy them over there they will work to fix any issues during your trip (your not stuck with them for your trip) and if there's still something wrong the will take them back. wont get that service if you purchase boots here.

You mean like Snow and Rocks 12 month satisfaction or return garuntee on all boots? If your boots are fitted correctly the first time you shouldn't need to go back to a shop.

The only people who should need return visits to shops are high performance athletes, (Due to the nature of what they do and the type of equipment they use) and those with severe feet issues, Bone spurs, growths etc!

Plenty of bad boot fitters in the alps! In fact not a single good boot fitter in the village I live in, despite there being 7 Winter Olympic athletes,3 Swiss Alpine team, 2 Swiss freestyle team members 2 Swedish and one Finiish! Amongst a host of others based there!

You mean like Snow and Rocks 12 month satisfaction or return garuntee on all boots? If your boots are fitted correctly the first time you shouldn't need to go back to a shop.

The only people who should need return visits to shops are high performance athletes, (Due to the nature of what they do and the type of equipment they use) and those with severe feet issues, Bone spurs, growths etc!

Plenty of bad boot fitters in the alps! In fact not a single good boot fitter in the village I live in, despite there being 7 Winter Olympic athletes,3 Swiss Alpine team, 2 Swiss freestyle team members 2 Swedish and one Finiish! Amongst a host of others based there!

at the end of the day its peoples choice Fattes - i go skiing a number of people who have gotten their boots here and they have awful problems.. I have gotten my boots away on both occasions and will again this season and have never had an issue - so going from experience i wouldn't buy here.. thats just me.

• Advertisement

at the end of the day its peoples choice Fattes - i go skiing a number of people who have gotten their boots here and they have awful problems.. I have gotten my boots away on both occasions and will again this season and have never had an issue - so going from experience i wouldn't buy here.. thats just me.

Depends where they got them done here, but you may be missing the point.

You can turn up in as resort or in Dublin and have them fitted if you end up in the wrong shop. You can go back to the shop and you may or may not get good service and they may or may not make the adjustments correctly!

Or you can ask independent partial advice, of people who will send you to a good boot fitter. Or pick a boot fitter with a happiness guarantee (Snow and ROck, Alain Baxter Sports and Solutions 4 Feet, surefeet) all do them, Most tourists in a ski resort dont get that privilege, also there is the resort premium were like for like products can be anything up to 20% more expensive in resort. Price boots in Munich V Mayrhofen and you will get a shock!

Depends where they got them done here, but you may be missing the point.

You can turn up in as resort or in Dublin and have them fitted if you end up in the wrong shop. You can go back to the shop and you may or may not get good service and they may or may not make the adjustments correctly!

Or you can ask independent partial advice, of people who will send you to a good boot fitter. Or pick a boot fitter with a happiness guarantee (Snow and ROck, Alain Baxter Sports and Solutions 4 Feet, surefeet) all do them, Most tourists in a ski resort dont get that privilege, also there is the resort premium were like for like products can be anything up to 20% more expensive in resort. Price boots in Munich V Mayrhofen and you will get a shock!

I think you may be missing my point… regardless of 20% price difference (20% of 300/400 on a skiing holiday hardly breaks the bank in terms of skiing holiday costs) I prefer to buy in resort so I use them during my holiday and get them sorted (if I have an issues while I’m on holiday) – many of my mates have had their holidays ruined by bad boots… not a lesson I want to learn.. I also don’t trust the seasonal ski boot guy – I go with my own instinct and so far, I haven’t been wrong (for me).

In fairness I roughly know what boots suit me and my foot by now anyway… I respect what you’re saying but anyway to each their own… that’s life Fattes …………it’s called freedom of choice

I think you may be missing my point… regardless of 20% price difference (20% of 300/400 on a skiing holiday hardly breaks the bank in terms of skiing holiday costs) I prefer to buy in resort so I use them during my holiday and get them sorted (if I have an issues while I’m on holiday) – many of my mates have had their holidays ruined by bad boots… not a lesson I want to learn.. I also don’t trust the seasonal ski boot guy – I go with my own instinct and so far, I haven’t been wrong (for me).

In fairness I roughly know what boots suit me and my foot by now anyway… I respect what you’re saying but anyway to each their own… that’s life Fattes …………it’s called freedom of choice

Tone down the passive aggression, I was neither denying or criticising your freedom of choice.

Merely pointing out the fact that, the chances of meeting a bad boot fitter are the the same or higher in resort than they are here in Dublin! Personal experiences will vary, facts don't

Tone down the passive aggression, I was neither denying or criticising your freedom of choice.

Merely pointing out the fact that, the chances of meeting a bad boot fitter are the the same or higher in resort than they are here in Dublin! Personal experiences will vary, facts don't

Because you say it, it must be fact so!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭khc

I agree, and you can get good recommendations before going too- there's a very good boot fitter in Chamonix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

I bought loads of stuff :)
    Rossi exp 80's , got them for a song too! about £150 with discounts on Glisshop
    And a Mountain Equipment jacket ive had my eye on for a couple of years , £120 on Ebay BNWT
    Thats the highlights but a mountain of stuff!

khc wrote: »
    I agree, and you can get good recommendations before going too- there's a very good boot fitter in Chamonix

Sole boot lab by any chance? Probably one of the best in Europe those boys! Actually another lad in chamonix but I cant remember their name.

My annual sponsor goodie bag arrived this week! 2 pairs of skis and bindings still to arrive but its like a mini Christmas

Because you say it, it must be fact so!

No because I support it with 12 years of industry experience, training and working with one of the largest ski companies in the world and having 5 of the best boot fitters on the planet amongst my friends and professional colleagues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I have my eye on a new jacket, not that there's anything wrong with my old one. But sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Quii

Bought a pair of Moon Boots for the Après this year, gonna buy a helmet this year too - sick of renting them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

No because I support it with 12 years of industry experience, training and working with one of the largest ski companies in the world and having 5 of the best boot fitters on the planet amongst my friends and professional colleagues

No doubt Fattes that you have tons of knowledge and experience and its honestly great to get your opinions here and its been helpful over the years, however you come across as condescending and superior.

We are all on our own learning journey with many subjects in life, my expertise is wine and food, a popular subject for most people. However if we were to chat about my subject I would make sure not to undermine your opinion.

Peace :)

Now the main subject....
    New helmet (old one is 7 years old and has had one too many tumbles)
    New googles Nevica Aspen, a good offer on sports direct
    My wife will get new ski's, probably in the resort but will have a look in snow & rock next week.

Most of the funds are going to our 3 week ski trip, our longest ever !

No doubt Fattes that you have tons of knowledge and experience and its honestly great to get your opinions here and its been helpful over the years, however you come across as condescending and superior.

We are all on our own learning journey with many subjects in life, my expertise is wine and food, a popular subject for most people. However if we were to chat about my subject I would make sure not to undermine your opinion.

Peace :)

Now the main subject....
    New helmet (old one is 7 years old and has had one too many tumbles)
    New googles Nevica Aspen, a good offer on sports direct
    My wife will get new ski's, probably in the resort but will have a look in snow & rock next week.

Most of the funds are going to our 3 week ski trip, our longest ever !

wow 3 weeks fair play to you!! i can only manage a max of 12 days and my legs are shot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Quii wrote: »
    Bought a pair of Moon Boots for the Après this year, gonna buy a helmet this year too - sick of renting them!

Yeah, after a long day on the slopes I ALWAYS look enviously at people wearing them in the pub/restaurant afterwards. I wouldn't mind but I wear snowboarding boots, which are supposed to be far more comfortable to wear than ski boots, so I can't imagine what my feet would feel like after a day in ski boots.

I had a (manly) pair a few years ago, I bought them in Lidl or Aldi *cough* and they were great, but only lasted a few trips. So I might add a pair to my shopping list. Cheers.

Good thinking, might put off purchasing online and have a look at the shops in the resorts.

I bought a pair two years ago that were a tiny bit too small - my big toe was numb by 11am and I was crashing every few minutes due to being unable to link or make turns. Ended up renting a pair and the magic returned :cool: (sarc.)

They're basically useless now, sitting somewhere gathering dust, the highbacks on my bindings damaged the heel slightly, so I would have been wasting my time trying to return them. It would have been great to be able to go back to the shop the first morning.

cormee wrote: »
    Good thinking, might put off purchasing online and have a look at the shops in the resorts.

I bought a pair two years ago that were a tiny bit too small - my big toe was numb by 11am and I was crashing every few minutes due to being unable to link or make turns. Ended up renting a pair and the magic returned :cool: (sarc.)

They're basically useless now, sitting somewhere gathering dust, the highbacks on my bindings damaged the heel slightly, so I would have been wasting my time trying to return them. It would have been great to be able to go back to the shop the first morning.

Thats one of my main reasons for getting my boots in the resort..

Your spare ones... you should sell them on Adverts.ie ive sold tons of my old skiing stuff on here, you may get €75 or €100 for them (if not more) that could go towards your new boots :D

• Advertisement

Peace :) !

Gouda is a famous German cheese and merlot grapes make excellent white wine.If i gave that advice on a food forum would you leave it stand?

The forum is for advice, and bad advice could ruin an expensive holiday.
    A few people on here have meet me in person, I am neither of those attributes, apologies if I come across like that but my literally skills are somewhat lacking.

Also Moon boots! I really need some, but can not pull them off!

our spare ones... you should sell them on Adverts.ie ive sold tons of my old skiing stuff on here, you may get €75 or €100 for them (if not more) that could go towards your new boots :D

I had considered it, but that involves talking to people, giving them directions to my house, humouring them, bargaining with them. All major annoyances for me! I'd much rather take the financial hit and lead a quiet, annoyance-free life. :D

I had considered it, but that involves talking to people, giving them directions to my house, humouring them, bargaining with them. All major annoyances for me! I'd much rather take the financial hit and lead a quiet, annoyance-free life. :D

just on this... i NEVER meet anyone near where i live ever.. its always like outside my work (make them come to me) ;)

Where are you going this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Only thing I've bought in a resort apart from jäger, beer and food is a lens replacement for my Oakley goggles. I got a dodgy lens that fogged up constantly. Oakley replaced but I obviously needed one that day. Would never advise buying in a resort. That Oakley splice orange lens on its own cost me more than I paid for my Oakley flight desk prixm last year.

Ski boots I don't know but snowboard I do. I'd advise getting into snow and rock too. If I bought boots in a resort I'd be trying to get out the door as soon a possible to get on the snow. Snowboard boots need to be sized, heat molded and walked in. I had mine on for hours each day for a few days to let them settle and shape to my feet. I think that was august 2013. They've now done around 12 weeks on the snow and will be doing at least 4 next year. I've no plans I replace them. Thank god for febreze.

This year I've already picked up a hero5 black (gift as I'm old), new board bag and some collapsible poles for off piste trekking. Only thing left on my list is a beacon which I usually rent.

Do up an A4 flyer and stick them up in the ski club or at the ski scentre, someone will take them off your hands and put a few quid in your pocket for something

just on this... i NEVER meet anyone near where i live ever.. its always like outside my work (make them come to me) ;)

Where are you going this season?

St. Anton for first trip anyway, booked hotel last weekend :D you?

Gouda is a famous German cheese and merlot grapes make excellent white wine.If i gave that advice on a food forum would you leave it stand?

The forum is for advice, and bad advice could ruin an expensive holiday.
    A few people on here have meet me in person, I am neither of those attributes, apologies if I come across like that but my literally skills are somewhat lacking.

Also Moon boots! I really need some, but can not pull them off!

To be fair, you have given some advice here before that made it clear you hadn't actually been to the resort you were claiming to have visited so I wouldn't make that argument

People obviously really appreciate advice on places like Engelberg, where you've spent three seasons or where you got married etc etc but noone expects anyone to have the answers to everything, and better to stay quiet than give bad advice, insult & patronise people and quarrel about resorts you haven't been to/didn't like.

There's no need for negativity here - we're all here for the same thing, right?!:)

St. Anton for first trip anyway, booked hotel last weekend :D you?

ohhh St Anton.. been many times!
    What dates do you mind me asking?

We're off to Ischgl in March for 10 nights :D

Cant Wait...

Ischgl is amazing, would love to go back there. I'm going to St Anton for fasching week in February and hopefully another two trips - maybe Zermatt in March but not sure yet

• Advertisement

ohhh St Anton.. been many times!
    What dates do you mind me asking?

We're off to Ischgl in March for 10 nights :D

Cant Wait...

Yeah, can't wait. January 15th, looks like the off-piste is great, Will probably hire a guide for a day. This will be my first snow holiday outside France in about a decade, so it should be a nice change anyway.

Never been to Ishghl myself, considered it many times, the piste map looks great.

Advertisement