Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your season purchase?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

I have nothing I need.
    When you're skiing 2 weeks a year you can't justify new skis when there's nothing wrong with your current ones..... that said I think the Volkl Kendo's look interesting..........
    Also my boots are Nordica Speedmachine 110s.... I could probably update.....

I'd be disowned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Snowboard boots (being soft) typically would need to be replaced more frequently than ski boots, I would guess. Not a ski gear expert, though. Was boot shopping with the good lady last weekend (she got a killer deal on last year's rome focus boa) and the guy in the shop had a rule of thumb that once cracks/serious wear shows up around the ankle/heel area, you need to think about new boots as the support just won't be there. Typically, about 50 days wear maybe, so 2-3 seasons for me, roughly. God, I love living at the base of the Rockies!
    Haven't bought anything yet this year, although last week's boot fitting took so long I was browsing through the boards by the end and now I'm getting a bit curious as to what's out there! Haven't got a new board in 3 years...that's as good a reason as any to get a new setup!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I think I'm going to have to retract my prior statement about not buying anything this year. Ordered a jacket from snow and rock on Black Friday (reduced from 190 to 120) but it didn't arrive. I contacted them about it this week and they apologised and said their supplier had let them down and that they couldn't fulfil the order.

As an apology they have offered me 37% discount on any jacket they sell!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Need a new helmet, the air bladder in my salomon ranger sprung a leak :(

Anyone seen Oakleys new helmets in the flesh anywhere in Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Got a new North Face jacket down in Kildare Village - not that I needed it... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Rew wrote: »
    Need a new helmet, the air bladder in my salomon ranger sprung a leak :(

Anyone seen Oakleys new helmets in the flesh anywhere in Dublin?

Thinking about getting a helmet also here, I usually hire one but can be hit or miss in terms of fit and quality, and by now I'll have it paid for in the cost of rental. Any recommendations on what to go for? Could either get it in Dublin, or heading to morzine the 29th, which is a reasonable sized resort so plenty of shops with ones there.

I reckon you will do way better online then resort and you will have better things to be doing in resort then finding a helmet :-D

Style is very personal obviously but I'm looking at the Oakley Mod 5 or a Salomon Quest Ltd (the Prophet is also very nice)

These sites are good
    https://www.blue-tomato.com
    https://www.surfdome.com

And I just found:
    https://www.snowinn.com

I liked my Salomon Ranger but I was disappointed that there is noway to replace the "custom fit" air bladder that broke. To be fair I think I my carelessness broke it. The mechanical twist systems seem to be a better option. The Quest LTD is an air system but instead of inflating it it uses a self inflating system so less moving parts. One thing that is really nice to have is a magnetic chin clip, once you have used one of those hard to go back to fiddling with the regular plastic clips. One thing you cant check easily online is google fit so you might want to research what you have versus any helmets you like. Bricks and mortar Snow&Rock have good selection and will measure your head for you, Great Outdoors have good selection and 53 Degrees only do Scott.

The high end ones have a system called MIPS which is meant to help with certain types of impact but you will pay €€€ for it. Im sure Sweet and others do carbon fiber helmets but I've never ventured into that level of stuff given its a once or twice a year use.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Thinking about getting a helmet also here, I usually hire one but can be hit or miss in terms of fit and quality, and by now I'll have it paid for in the cost of rental. Any recommendations on what to go for? Could either get it in Dublin, or heading to morzine the 29th, which is a reasonable sized resort so plenty of shops with ones there.

www.decathlon.ie (or .co.uk) have a good range too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

So despite swearing I'm not buying any new gear this season, I have just taken delivery of a new jacket :)
    I justified it because a have a tiny tear in my current jacket (cosmetic only...)

DoraDelite wrote: »
    So despite swearing I'm not buying any new gear this season, I have just taken delivery of a new jacket :)
    I justified it because a have a tiny tear in my current jacket (cosmetic only...)

I did the same... :D

• Advertisement

Picked up a new (to me) board during the week. Put some 8 year old burton cartels on it for the weekend. Heading to Lake Louise Saturday and I think they've been getting snow, so should be fun.

It's a 2014 Capita Totally Fk'n Awesome, camber between the bindings and flat/rocker outside so should be fun to try. Stable at speed, poppy and should be able to butter it a bit, too. I've only had full camber or full rocker before. If I don't like it, I'll just sell it on. Also, just realised my other current board is a limited edition of only 400, so that's kinda cool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

masseyno9 wrote: »
    Heading to Lake Louise Saturday and I think they've been getting snow, so should be fun.

I used to love watching this video, Lake Louise looks great.

Video is blocked in work. I'll take a look later at home. Snow was plentiful, but tracked out as last dump had been Thursday. New board was great, forgot how a bit of camber in a board lets you dig into those deep carves! Love the new board and the 9 year old Burton Cartels were great, so I'm in the highly unexpected situation of considering NOT buying new ones.
    But yes, Lake Louise is great. Not as expansive as some of the European multi-resorts, but some great terrain. If they get fresh snow, there  are some great bowls accessible either by lift or a short hike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Fattes wrote: »
    Tone down the passive aggression, I was neither denying or criticising your freedom of choice.

Merely pointing out the fact that, the chances of meeting a bad boot fitter are the the same or higher in resort than they are here in Dublin! Personal experiences will vary, facts don't

Different season same old same old. Nobody has to take your advice. Simples!

My purchases

Kästle FX 95 (173) with Warden MNC binding
    Black Diamond O1 Mid Stiff Telmark Binding
    Atomic Nomad Ti Skis (167)
    Skins
    Telescopic Poles with powder baskets
    St Anton Season Pass

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Quii

bought a helmet yesterday, a nice Bollé one for €50 in Mathew's in Cork, off to Soll on Saturday!

Quii wrote: »
    bought a helmet yesterday, a nice Bollé one for €50 in Mathew's in Cork, off to Soll on Saturday!

We're off the following Sat... can't wait :D

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

In over 15 years of snowboarding I can honestly say Bolle are by far the best goggles ive ever used.They are the only ones which I haven't experienced fogging up of the goggles,they keep clear all day.

After 15 years of using F50 bindings and the same boarding boots ive upgraded to Boa boots(dial tightening boots).Spent so much time tightening up laces on the slopes it really p1ssed me off.Now I can spend more time boarding and less tying.Also upgraded to alpha flow bindings,click the back of them down ,insert your foot click back up and youre gone.My down time getting the board ready should be seconds now which means more time on the slopes.
    New jacket on the way too so I wont look like ive come from a funeral anymore when on the slopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭hullabulloo

Used flow bindings for a couple of trips but found it you're to have them as tight as should be you spend the same amount of time at the top of each lift adjusting them. If you don't mind them a bit loose you can be away in seconds though. Have gone back to the normal ratchet bindings for the last few years.

Used flow bindings for a couple of trips but found it you're to have them as tight as should be you spend the same amount of time at the top of each lift adjusting them. If you don't mind them a bit loose you can be away in seconds though. Have gone back to the normal ratchet bindings for the last few years.

I have a pair of Flow NX2 se, and I agree/ish - the toe strap and the strap that goes over the middle of your foot lose their setting when you step out of them, but the highback stays in the correct position.
    The way I do it is to step into the bindings, with the highback down (and the other straps as loose as they became in transit), pull the highback up, and then tighten the other two straps afterwards. Also, don't tighten them anything like you would ordinary bindings - they only need a fraction of that.
    Doing it that way I'd say I'm 4x faster than I was in ordinary bindings. I'd never consider anything but Flow after my current pair, however Burton have just launched a new pair of step-in bindings, I'll be VERY interested to see how they go. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

cormee wrote: »
    I have a pair of Flow NX2 se, and I agree/ish - the toe strap and the strap that goes over the middle of your foot lose their setting when you step out of them, but the highback stays in the correct position.
    The way I do it is to step into the bindings, with the highback down (and the other straps as loose as they became in transit), pull the highback up, and then tighten the other two straps afterwards. Also, don't tighten them anything like you would ordinary bindings - they only need a fraction of that.
    Doing it that way I'd say I'm 4x faster than I was in ordinary bindings. I'd never consider anything but Flow after my current pair, however Burton have just launched a new pair of step-in bindings, I'll be VERY interested to see how they go. :D

Step-on will be Burtons second attempt at strapless bindings. I'm very interested in them too but you require new boots.

(Waiting to go at airport now)

• Advertisement

Step-on will be Burtons second attempt at strapless bindings. I'm very interested in them too but you require new boots.

(Waiting to go at airport now)

Yeah, I wouldn't mind the investment, to be honest, if they were good. They are supposed to be extremely responsive. There's a video of then being tested by journalists on YouTube.

Jammy git! Where are you off to? I'm just back from St. Anton a week, and already starting to justify a spring trip to Chamonix in my mind.

Two weeks in Mayrhofen. Already covered hof, tux and zillertal arena. Proabably back to tux today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

2v1ax6x.jpg

I don't know if this should be in the bargain thread or not but I picked up a new Helmet in an end of season sale after retiring my Scott one this winter. I had tried on a heap of them while I was out in Cham in January. I jotted down brands/models and the sizes that fit me. As I was in no rush I sat back and bided my time. I picked myself up a Sweet Protection Igniter MIPS.

spg2dk.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I love sweet helmets but my head is the wrong shape for them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

I'm not sure it qualifies as this season, given that I won't be skiing again until 2018, but I got a good Musto ski jacket in Kildare Village a couple of weeks ago. It's the one at the bottom of this page. I got it for €224. Apparently reduced from €799, although I'd be sceptical that it was ever actually for sale at that price. Still, nice jacket though. Hoping to get some boots too at some point. Then I'll be all set for next year. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

Dero wrote: »
    I'm not sure it qualifies as this season, given that I won't be skiing again until 2018, but I got a good Musto ski jacket in Kildare Village a couple of weeks ago. It's the one at the bottom of this page. I got it for €224. Apparently reduced from €799, although I'd be sceptical that it was ever actually for sale at that price. Still, nice jacket though. Hoping to get some boots too at some point. Then I'll be all set for next year. :D

Cool jacket, which shop in Kildare village?

Not a fan of Kildare Village myself. Nice jacket but can you imagine anyone paying €800 for it? That's a holiday.

Nice jacket. Planning next year's trip already? How did Menuires work out? I suppose you heard about myself, Stephen and Aengus' failed trip to Engelbert? We got full credit note from the hotel we had booked, so I reckon a December trip will be in order 😀

... And just to keep the theme of the thread going, I reckon I'll get those Burton step-ins ( and boots, which I need anyway) , I haven't read any (credible) bad reviews of them, most reviews are positive.

maddness wrote: »
    Cool jacket, which shop in Kildare village?

Musto have their own shop there. Lots of sailing gear, but some ski stuff too.

• Advertisement

cormee wrote: »
    Nice jacket. Planning next year's trip already? How did Menuires work out? I suppose you heard about myself, Stephen and Aengus' failed trip to Engelbert? We got full credit note from the hotel we had booked, so I reckon a December trip will be in order 😀

... And just to keep the theme of the thread going, I reckon I'll get those Burton step-ins ( and boots, which I need anyway) , I haven't read any (credible) bad reviews of them, most reviews are positive.

Yeah, Stephen told us about Engelberg. I'd imagine that was really frustrating with the way the timing worked out. :(

Myself & Will went to La Tania in February, so were mainly skiing in Courchevel, with a bit in Meribel. Still planning a family trip for next year, still unsure where to go. But hey, at least I have a nice jacket. :pac:

Advertisement