Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Turbo Trainers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

That individual was me ;) I still wouldn't spend the extra on the vortex mind. I got the flow for €159

All parts on those machines are fairly generic but as far as I know it was only ever available with halfords so I'm not sure where the other info came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭eposhea

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/tacx-t2180-vortex-virtual-smart-trainer-246764?delivery_country=71&gclid=CjwKCAjw7MDPBRAFEiwAppdF9ApQ09q-iCOHagZh3NGLqP4CpCRzp-wItSjrziPvCejefErWKKVSqRoCihUQAvD_BwE

350 lads and having done a lot of research on this, reliability is an issue on the flow. Remember one individual having three units over a couple of months.

90 euro for what in my opinion is a more capable and reliable machine. Plus what happens if you need replacement parts on a discontinued product:confused:

Yea - I saw that on Bike Discount alright. I've read about a few Tacx products failing, not just the Flow Smart. I'd prefer to have local support from a returns perspective.

I've even read about someone getting a Vortex as a replacement for a Flow Smart - through Halfords - so to me that is a no-brainer. Dealing with returns to websites is a bloody nightmare and not something I want to risk.

Obs, I really hope nothing happens anyway! Plus - at the moment €90 can be better spent somewhere else to be honest :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPYyPsrgwE4

Shane miller reviews the tacx flow smart. Just uploaded today. Read the comments for reviews:D

Shane miller reviews the tacx flow smart. Just uploaded today. Read the comments for reviews:D

So basically he's echoing everything we've said so far yet still you're set on demonizing the flow.

For those that haven't bothered watching reading.
    • it's budget friendly
    • it's accurate to with +/-10%
    • It struggles with sprints - max out put <900w
    • It's entry level

So basically to summarize it's good for an entry level smart turbo that will suit perfectly well for the average cyclists winter training and at the price point it can't be beaten. One caveat retain your receipt as with all items and all tacx products they can have issues but the return process is excellent.

So now can we put this to bed if you want the best buy the neo if you want the cheapest buy the flow. Everything in between is a poor imitation of a neo but better than the flow.

He does do great videos.

Sam as most of the reviews/threads I have read alright.

I have found a Vortex, 2nd hand, €250, that I am thinking about.
    iwillhtfu wrote: »

So now can we put this to bed if you want the best buy the neo if you want the cheapest buy the flow. Everything in between is a poor imitation of a neo but better than the flow.

This is my only real concern. If I buy 2nd hand, I will have no after sales support if something goes wrong. At least getting a Flow from Halfords, I have that back up. And I read somewhere that someone got a Vortex as a replacement for a Flow as they were out of stock :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

My buddy bought a 2nd hand vortex - lasted 3 months and gave up.

jamesd wrote: »
    My buddy bought a 2nd hand vortex - lasted 3 months and gave up.

Yup - that is my biggest worry alright! At least with a receipt I can stroll back into the shop and casually ask/demand a replacement - and hope that all Flow are gone :D

eposhea wrote: »
    Yup - that is my biggest worry alright! At least with a receipt I can stroll back into the shop and casually ask/demand a replacement - and hope that all Flow are gone :D

Even if they aren't gone you get a shiney new one. As mentioned previously I got 3 over a 6 month period but the third has lasted since then without issue I'm guessing 15 months but just they typical winter wet weather usage.

To be fair the issues I had were in part to constantly packing away etc I'd say if you could leave it out all the time it would be fine. As for the comments on the lever breaking some lads have the thing wound up far to tight and end up breaking parts, it is only plastic after all.

Even if they aren't gone you get a shiney new one. As mentioned previously I got 3 over a 6 month period but the third has lasted since then without issue I'm guessing 15 months but just they typical winter wet weather usage.
    And was there any issue at all with bring it back?

Yea - there are always going to be dodgy variants of a product - you can be very unlucky.

I reckon I will get one this evening or tomorrow evening. Set up a table for the laptop and grab a yoga mat for the drippage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

Yes Ive never had to move my vortex since I got it in Jan 2016 and its still working away with no issues so near to 2 years now - Not major use just once per week in the winter months.

• Advertisement

eposhea wrote: »
    And was there any issue at all with bring it back?

Yea - there are always going to be dodgy variants of a product - you can be very unlucky.

I reckon I will get one this evening or tomorrow evening. Set up a table for the laptop and grab a yoga mat for the drippage.

No questions asked and a straight swap.

The issue I had was the magnet becoming misaligned from being moved around to be fair it probably took a knock but not enough to be deemed abuse if you get me. I think so much weight in a movable plastic housing is the main issue so if it were to remain upright in the one spot I can't see it failing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

It's nothing to do with gradient accuracy the vortex has a greater % gradient ability and at twice the price the flow can be got at it's not worth it imo.

Agree, though it would be interesting to know if it is any more robust. I've had a flow now for about 4 years, and had to change the break once and blue locking paddle twice. Control unit on the bars I reckon is on its way out as well. Great piece of kit all the same.

So basically he's echoing everything we've said so far yet still you're set on demonizing the flow.

For those that haven't bothered watching reading.
    • it's budget friendly
    • it's accurate to with +/-10%
    • It struggles with sprints - max out put <900w
    • It's entry level

So basically to summarize it's good for an entry level smart turbo that will suit perfectly well for the average cyclists winter training and at the price point it can't be beaten. One caveat retain your receipt as with all items and all tacx products they can have issues but the return process is excellent.

Don't think you read my post correctly....... I clearly said "Read the comments for reviews". Regardless of what he says hes used it once. So ill reiterate " read that comments for reviews".

While his review is great on what the unit can do and i'm a big fan of Shane, the main test of a units reliability is in the Feedback from numerous users.

On a side note your annoyance of my post which is simply to provide more information and data which has you triggered so much gave me good laugh. :pac:

On a side note your annoyance of my post which is simply to provide more information and data which has you triggered so much gave me good laugh. :pac:

You really are an extremely odd individual aren't you.

Anyway the comments on the YouTube clip were divided so perhaps you might take the time to read my comments again.

I'll leave it there now.

smacl wrote: »
    Agree, though it would be interesting to know if it is any more robust. I've had a flow now for about 4 years, and had to change the break once and blue locking paddle twice. Control unit on the bars I reckon is on its way out as well. Great piece of kit all the same.

There's no control unit on the newer ones it's all done through the tacx app now which im not sure if its a good or bad thing to be honest.

You really are an extremely odd individual aren't you.

Anyway the comments on the YouTube clip were divided so perhaps you might take the time to read my comments again.

I'll leave it there now.

Divided they were but but the amount of negative reviews to positive reviews are high.

As for the name calling, i wouldn't stoop to such childish lows :rolleyes:. I'll also leave it there!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

folks keep it civil. If 2 of you wish to argue back and forth take it to pm with one another. You've had you're say

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Irish Warri0r

Looking at this one on halfords http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/turbo-trainers/trainers/elite-turbo-muin-smart-turbo-trainer
    Is it comparable to the Tacx? Seems like a good price just want something decent for zwift.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Looked at it myself.
    All your going to get is direct drive ie not smart, per se.
    I want ant + fec to control resistance.
    True smart.
    Chain driven in Roscommon have wahoo snap for 530.
    200 up front and 10 monthly instalments.
    Could be the go.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I've a Muin. Perfect for my needs. As far as I'm concerned if I want higher resistance, I'll go into a higher gear.

I'm not trainning for races. I just have it so I can spin away on the worst of days, or when I'm time constrained. Also I got it not long after fracturing the elbow, so that was playing on my mind. I got it used for cheaper so it was a steal at that. I only use it if I have to, otherwise the winter bike gets called upon.

It's relatively quiet, and for the money a well built unit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

I'm mulling over upgrading my turbo. Currently have a flow thats about 4 years old but works grand and have a powertap wheel on it for power readings.

I've started a winter training programme and some of the workouts have all-out sprints in them. Problem is that I'm spinning out, I get the initial power spike as things crank up but then I'm at 140 -150 rpm and the power is dropping from lack of resistance. Currently have a compact crankset on it and going to put a semi-compact I have spare on this evening to see how that helps.

If I'm still spinning out I may move to a fancy direct drive turbo but what are these like for sprint intervals? Is there a long lag in getting up to full power. I've read some reports of the Neo struggles last year but that seems to have been sorted with firmware. Options would be Drivo or Neo, possibly Drivo will be better as it has a flywheel rather than fully simulated?

Anyway long story short, anyone using a direct drive for sprinting and how are you finding it?

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Irish Raven

Crocked wrote:
    I've started a winter training programme and some of the workouts have all-out sprints in them. Problem is that I'm spinning out, I get the initial power spike as things crank up but then I'm at 140 -150 rpm and the power is dropping from lack of resistance. Currently have a compact crankset on it and going to put a semi-compact I have spare on this evening to see how that helps.

Holy molley......not many turbos gona keep up with you pedalling at 140 to 150rpm....crazy stuff!!

Holy molley......not many turbos gona keep up with you pedalling at 140 to 150rpm....crazy stuff!!

I can't keep up with it myself!! really should be at 110-120ish I'd say, but just don't have the resistance in the turbo so I'm spinning out

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Irish Raven

Crocked wrote:
    I can't keep up with it myself!! really should be at 110-120ish I'd say, but just don't have the resistance in the turbo so I'm spinning out

You in your hardest gear?? And i presume you have the turbo connected to the wheel apply some pressure!!

In the hardest gear which is currently 50-11 (I need to double check it's 11 and not 12), putting the semi on would get that to 52-11. Wheel nice and tight to the flywheel alright.

Its only on the full gas sprints where I'm spinning out, the regular intervals @ x% of ftp are fine

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Anyone expecting any Black Friday offers on a smart direct drive trainer? Would love an Elite Direto or Tacx Flux or something in that price range

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

There's no control unit on the newer ones it's all done through the tacx app now which im not sure if its a good or bad thing to be honest.

Half thinking of upgrading it, but would need a new PC most likely as I've a dedicate old Windows XP box attached running v3 of the software at the moment. One thing I like about the flow with the steerer unit is that you can use it to make new routes, which helps keep it interesting, but I do like the look of the newer software. (Spinning out at max resistance is not an issue, more like being ready to puke 20 minutes in at half that!)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭rxchxy

Anyone have any recommendations for a Zwift like app? Just bought the Tacx Flow smart and went to download Zwift to then realise that it's not compatible with the iphone5, doubt my laptop is new enough/high enough spec to work either. So stuck now as to how to get the screen/race set up :/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

rxchxy wrote: »
    Anyone have any recommendations for a Zwift like app? Just bought the Tacx Flow smart and went to download Zwift to then realise that it's not compatible with the iphone5, doubt my laptop is new enough/high enough spec to work either. So stuck now as to how to get the screen/race set up :/
    TrainerRoad? I own nothing Apple to know whether it will work on that iphone, but it's PC requirements are much lower than zwift. I run it on a netbook that only meets the minimum requirements with "burst" and haven't run into issues.

It's more structured training rather than the having the options of group rides/ races you can do on zwift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Anyone expecting any Black Friday offers on a smart direct drive trainer? Would love an Elite Direto or Tacx Flux or something in that price range
    Answering my own question - Cycle Republic have the Elite Real Fully Smart Direct Drive Turbo Trainer at half price - £500

https://www.cyclerepublic.com/bikes/black-friday-comes-early/elite-real-turbo-muin-fully-smart-turbo-trainer.html

Would anyone recommend this above the Elite Direto for Zwift?

Advertisement