Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am I too old to start studying Law?

• 07-11-2016 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi there, I've come on here to look for some advice about studying Law. I'm 28 years old and have been working in book publishing for the last few years. I have a BA in English/Media and MA in Publishing. I am looking to change career paths and while doing my research I keep returning to Law. What I really want to know, is am I too old to begin such a demanding career in Ireland? I know this is a pretty vague question, but any advice anyone could offer would be really appreciated! Thanks!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

My auntie was in her mid 30's with 2 children and she went back to study law. If you feel ready then do it. Your age is not relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 385 ✭✭peter_dublin

Edups wrote: »
    My auntie was in her mid 30's with 2 children and she went back to study law. If you feel ready then do it. Your age is not relevant.

Is she now working as a Lawyer ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Hi there, I've come on here to look for some advice about studying Law. I'm 28 years old and have been working in book publishing for the last few years. I have a BA in English/Media and MA in Publishing. I am looking to change career paths and while doing my research I keep returning to Law. What I really want to know, is am I too old to begin such a demanding career in Ireland? I know this is a pretty vague question, but any advice anyone could offer would be really appreciated! Thanks!!

You're looking at a four year degree and then another 2-3 years to qualify as either a solicitor or a barrister.

You're not too old but it's gonna be a long haul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Pickpocket wrote: »
    You're looking at a four year degree and then another 2-3 years to qualify as either a solicitor or a barrister.

You're not too old but it's gonna be a long haul.

My mistake. You don't need a law degree so you're probably considering some sort of preparatory course and then straight into the exams. You're certainly not too old.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I went back and studied accountancy in my 30s. Was a long road but worked out in the end. Go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 385 ✭✭peter_dublin

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I went back and studied accountancy in my 30s. Was a long road but worked out in the end. Go for it.

Could you tell us more, I find when these topics come up it's always to a chorus of don't do it, it won't work out, you won't get experience, a training contract etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Could you tell us more, I find when these topics come up it's always to a chorus of don't do it, it won't work out, you won't get experience, a training contract etc.

Yep

Worked as an engineer. Wanted a change so did degree in acc and fin while working as eng. Graduated at 33 & got a big 4 training contract. Did prof exams in ACA and CTA and am happy out now.
    Salary has still not recovered completely but is getting there.
    As I said it is a long road and was stressful at times but ultimately worth it.

Advertisement