Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why will the Govt not hold an "Irexit" referendum?

• 07-11-2016 12:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭

In the aftermath of the vote by the majority of the UK electorate in favour of their country leaving the EU, why won't our government give us the opportunity to decide whether or not our country should remain in the EU?

Surely, "Irexit" would be beneficial to us because it would save us a lot of money in terms of our financial contribution to the EU apparatus and maybe even get the Irish national debt reduced because we might only then have to pay money back to the IMF instead of to the Troika. Furthermore, Ireland could have a new economic relationship with the UK when the UK eventually leaves the EU.

Comments

Because it would be idiotic.

/thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Because they're not stupid.

............why won't our government give us the opportunity to decide whether or not our country should remain in the EU?.........

There's probably enough morons to vote for us to leave, best not to find out :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Not as catchy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Hi political analyst, how are you? I'm just popping in to say I have no interest in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

Look at the Aftermath of the Brexit and how quickly it became clear that the promises of the Leave-Camp were illusional at best, also how the whole process is a disaster from the beginning to the end. So if you still think Ireland should vote for that, great, I have some magic beans to sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

The farmers would drive some John Deeres and Masseys through the gates of Leinster house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

it would be a waste of money the vast majority would more than likely vote remain, not sure i would personally but i couldn't see an exit having much popular support here.

Thankfully we don't have the immigration issues etc they have in the UK , also we don't have our own international currency etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Because the UK has historically been a business and political powerhouse and has a top five global economy, a top 5 military reach, a seat at the security council. Etc.

It will do fine on its own.

Ireland. Not so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

Demand for Irexit is insignificant and most people are aware it would be a disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭CFlat

The leader of biggest proponent party, UKIP, to leave the EU stood down days after the Brits voted to leave. Even HE realised it was a f**king stupid idea and didn't want to around for the disastrous aftermath.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

...why won't our government give us the opportunity to decide whether or not our country should remain in the EU

For the same reason they won't hold a referendum on reintroducing the death penalty or joining Nato: There's little or no public demand for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

There is no public appetite for it and there are far more important issues that need to be put to a referendum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Because nobody would be able to pronounce IREXIT.

511 wrote: »
    Demand for Irexit is insignificant and most people are aware it would be a disaster.

And despite that, if the government did hold a referendum and the sitting government was Pro-stay, a large contingent would vote leave just to give two fingers to the government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Because there is no credible intelligent call for one

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Bait it referendum

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭looksee

In the aftermath of the vote by the majority of the UK electorate in favour of their country leaving the EU, why won't our government give us the opportunity to decide whether or not our country should remain in the EU?

Surely, "Irexit" would be beneficial to us because it would save us a lot of money in terms of our financial contribution to the EU apparatus and maybe even get the Irish national debt reduced because we might only then have to pay money back to the IMF instead of to the Troika. Furthermore, Ireland could have a new economic relationship with the UK when the UK eventually leaves the EU.

http://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-financial-gain-from-eu-frances-fitzgerald-facts-2894694-Jul2016/

This seems to suggest differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Because the vast majority of Irish people are pro European Union.

Why are Irish people pro EU?

We like being told what to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Because important, potential life and death (economically speaking, but not only) decisions should be operated by people who know what they're dealing with, rather than Johnny down the pub wanting to "feck tha politicians"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭political analyst

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Hi political analyst, how are you? I'm just popping in to say I have no interest in this thread.

Then don't post on it.

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Because important, potential life and death (economically speaking, but not only) decisions should be operated by people who know what they're dealing with, rather than Johnny down the pub wanting to "feck tha politicians"?

I'm not sure if I agree with this. If that is the will of the Irish people, then so be it. Not some random lad from Brussels or Enda Kenny who "knows what's good for us" being far superior beings to the rest of us lads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Ireland isn't good enough to go on its own. It has always had someone rule it. Irish kings, Kingdom of England, British Empire, European Union.

FortySeven wrote: »
    Because the UK has historically been a business and political powerhouse and has a top five global economy, a top 5 military reach, a seat at the security council. Etc.

It will do fine on its own.

Ireland. Not so much.

What about an economic agreement between Ireland and the UK?

gandalf wrote: »
    There is no public appetite for it and there are far more important issues that need to be put to a referendum.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/david-quinn/fine-gael-treats-prolife-voters-with-contempt-to-fianna-fils-gain-34649626.html

Why not hold a referendum on Irish membership of the EU while we're at it? Of course, there is no media demand for that, but again let's not confuse media demand and public demand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

jacksie66 wrote: »
    If we voted leave we'd me made do it again until we voted to stay..

"If it's a Yes, we will say 'on we go', and if it's a No we will say 'we continue’,”
    - Jean Claude Juncker(bastion of democracy)

Ireland isn't good enough to go on its own. It has always had someone rule it. Irish kings, Kingdom of England, British Empire, European Union.
    It wouldn't be on its own. It could have an economic union with the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

There is very little demand for it.

Also, just because the UK decided to engage in self harm, for a bunch of nonsense reasons, doesn't mean we should follow suit, and cause even greater harm to ourselves.

BTW, the UK is a far larger economy and they have taken a hell of knock, and they aren't even out yet. It would likely be far worse for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I'm not sure if I agree with this. If that is the will of the Irish people, then so be it. Not some random lad from Brussels or Enda Kenny who "knows what's good for us" being far superior beings to the rest of us lads.

They are in this specific matter, because it's their job; Also, Governments / politics usually won't take these kind of decisions without consulting people even more clued in the subject than they are, such as economists and international analysts.

To put it in layman's term - if you feel sick, you go to the doctor to get a prescription; You don't ask all of your friends what they think the problem is, and then take whatever drug the "majority of them" wants you to :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

You should rejoin the Union and become a stronger force, make Ireland great again. You never should have left.

It would have to negotiate a separate trade agreement with every country it wants to trade with. That will take time, and cost a fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

Rather than leave or stay as a permanent option, our political system should be adapted to the cycles of economics and demographic and contracts.

For example, every 10 years a vote to remain in the EU or not, reviewed again a period of time later. Local politics like the Taoiseach could be every 12-18 months or whatever.

Some decisions need to be looked at again periodically to see if the intended purpose is achieved.

Which would require agreement from the UK. There is no guarantee that such an economic union would be on the table. Also, we would have to put that to referendum as well, if we put EU membership to referendum. If we were to vote to leave the EU, the idea that people would jump into another economic union after leaving one, doesn't strike me as likely.

Also, it make 0 sense to leave an economic union that is far larger, to join another that is far smaller. What does that achieve?

Sorry, but you suggestions strike me as insane and not particularly well taught out. We are not the UK, and they will likely have to deal with the fall out of leaving the EU for decades, years of uncertainty and likely to cause long term economic damage. Even if they do pull it off and make it work, it won't happen over night. The UK a far large economy will have a hell of a time trying to make Brexit a success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

So, either a union with the EU or one with the UK?

The one with the UK didn't work out that fantastically last time around, but overall Ireland did so far profit nicely from being in the EU.
    I know which one I would stick with, personally.

• Advertisement

The day after we left the French would declare us a tax haven and slap all sorts of taxes on anything coming from this country (think Apple, Pfizer, Medtronic, Dell, Intel, Google).

The would be taxed out of the country and we would be left trying to sell beer, beef and biscuits to the British.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

You should rejoin the Union.

I think that's even less likely than Irexit

Shenshen wrote: »
    So, either a union with the EU or one with the UK?

The one with the UK didn't work out that fantastically last time around, but overall Ireland did so far profit nicely from being in the EU.
    I know which one I would stick with, personally.

It would be an economic union, not a political one. There is a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

wes wrote: »
    There is very little demand for it.

Also, just because the UK decided to engage in self harm, for a bunch of nonsense reasons, doesn't mean we should follow suit, and cause even greater harm to ourselves.

BTW, the UK is a far larger economy and they have taken a hell of knock, and they aren't even out yet. It would likely be far worse for us.

yes, but think of all the Swans it will save

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

Economic union? First we will see what has been left of English economy in 2019.

• Advertisement

We would be wholly dominated by the British. Our economy would be obliterated, with the multi nationals leaving, and the EU would be more than happy to make an example of us. We wouldn't have any hope of getting a exit deal, that would benefit us. We would ruining our economy for no reason what so ever. You have yet to provide a realistic argument as to how we would possibly proper outside of the EU.

The only big idea is economic union with the UK, which make 0 sense after leaving the EU. Why join another economic union that is far smaller than the one we just left? Your idea doesn't add up at all.

Because the vast majority of Irish people are pro European Union.

Why are Irish people pro EU?

We like being told what to do.

Or, to state the obvious: we don't want to be at the mercy of the Brits again.

Or, to state the obvious: we don't want to be at the mercy of the Brits again.

If it's not the British telling us what to do, its the Catholic church, and if its not the Catholic church then its the E.U/a large government telling us what to do. Just another vacumn for another large, powerful entity.

We're not the rebels we like to think we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

If it's not the British telling us what to do, its the Catholic church, and if its not the Catholic church then its the E.U/a large government telling us what to do. Just another vacumn for another large, powerful entity.

We're not the rebels we like to think we are.

Then leave?

Edups wrote: »
    Then leave?

If we leave and the E.U does come apart, we'll be one of the very last countries to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

So sleepy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

What about an economic agreement between Ireland and the UK?

And what are you putting on the table? Your uncompetitive corporate tax rate up for discussion? How about those heavily subsidised tech jobs with secret tax arrangements to attract them?

What's in it for the UK?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭wally79

What have the romans ever done for us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Are you really a political analyst? Doesn't seem it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

The EU was hamstrung from the moment German Unification was permitted. Germany was always a destabilising influence in the heart of Europe ever since Bismarck created it. 3 wars between 1870 and 1945 and it was finally broken up. It should have been left that way in 1989 with East Germany joining the EC as an independent country. The EU was never going to work once all the political and economic levers were switched to favour Germany. You could either do the EU or German Reunification and reconstruction but not both at pretty much the same time. Britain is just the first out the door. Other EU nations (Greece, Holland even France) could well follow in the next decade.

That said while the EU was a step too far too soon the EC was not. A trading block with common economic policies should be retained and that is central to Ireland's interests.

So should we now leave. No. We should stick it out and see if the EU can be reformed because sooner or later it will be (it just might take another country or two to leave to shake things up). When that happens we are better off inside the tent than asking to get back in on perhaps less favourable terms.

• Advertisement
Advertisement