Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Nov 2016 Teacher Dispute / See post 1 for Warning **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    Would you come off strike if that happened?

No I'd still strike for the younger teachers but it would have a lot less effect on the students as we would know the remaining 5 days of strike and could plan accordingly.

km79 wrote: »
    Looks like school tomorrow
    So 2 days missed
    Make sure your child does not attend any extra curr activities , open days, family events for the rest of the year now .

They attend anything arranged by the school, otherwise they are always in school. I value my child's education, shame some teachers don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭kerryguy78

Teachers can't lose their jobs when the population is growing.
    That would make zero sense so "luck" has nothing to do with it.

That's the problem with the public sector, even the most useless, lazy, unproductive workers in the public sector can't lose their jobs.

Imposition of pension levy of 7.5% that doesn't go towards the pension itself.
    It's just another tax.
    USC which everyone has to pay.
    3 years of S&S for free at a loss of €1600 per year.
    Increments frozen

I could go on.

And yet despite all this you would have still taken home more than most, and certainly far more than those who lost their jobs in the private sector.

Ask anyone who lost their job if they would rather take pay cuts or job loses, I think you can guess the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭feardeas

kerryguy78 wrote:
    Teachers can't lose their jobs when the population is growing. That would make zero sense so "luck" has nothing to do with it.

kerryguy78 wrote:
    That's the problem with the public sector, even the most useless, lazy, unproductive workers in the public sector can't lose their jobs.

Welcome back, you were missing for a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

It is a great idea, already happened in the private sector since 2002, maybe its time the public sector experienced the same?

I'm not sure how well these eastern europeans would cope with teaching Irish .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

jayo76 wrote: »
    Great to hear on here and on the six one news that more and more school managements are now taking the decision from tomorrow to even partially reopen but just wondering how many people here are still in the same position as us where we more or less just continue to find ourselves locked out? We have had no update from management in our place as to regards any possibility of opening, the last formal communication we had was a letter dated November 2nd which stated that on foot of an emergency BOM meeting the previous night the school would not be in a position to reopen after midterm.

Have heard of various schools where people who were in approached the Principal for a meeting to discuss the situation but this was not really an option for us as the Principal did not turn up outside the school gate yesterday morning, the Vice Principal did. Met a parent in the local shop an hour ago wondering what the story was who said parents had got an email this morning to say the school would remain closed until further notice. I had to laugh and tell her that unfortunately she knows more about it than I do.
    That is disgraceful by your management. Extremely poor form to say the least. Won't bode well for relations when this is finally resolved

I'm not sure how well these eastern europeans would cope with teaching Irish .

Considering the language is no longer the 2nd most spoken language in Ireland the government could soon drop the requirement for it to be taught. Or we could put all the new teachers on extensive training courses with all the savings made from wage demands.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭worseforwear

Yes and that's why they get paid higher than most, but this strike is pathetic and without merit. Teachers were extremely lucky to keep their pay, suffer no job loses and hold onto their pensions during the bad times, as the country recovers there are a hell of a lot more worthwhile people who need extra supports, teachers are not one of them. Id rather do more for the homeless on the streets if the country has more money to spend, in time pay restoration could be looked at but considering the country is still running a deficit and the finances starting to look shaky is foolish to be awarding pay increases at a time like this.

Meanwhile young adults taking their leaving certs are having their futures damaged.

the strike is not about pay restoration, it's about pay equalisation for newer
    recruits. And not even immediate equalisation but a timeframe of when it will happen

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭kerryguy78

feardeas wrote: »
    Welcome back, you were missing for a while

Thanks. Glad you missed me!!!

• Advertisement

the strike is not about pay restoration, it's about pay equalisation for newer
    recruits. And not even immediate equalisation but a timeframe of when it will happen

Amazing how none of the existing teachers cared about that when they voted for it in the first place. Where was the equality of pay then?

The country is still broke and yet Teachers seem to think its back to pre 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Right, time to stop the flaming, this is a discussion about the current dispute. Please get back on topic

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

I wish they would get the bloody press release out
    I'm 5 hours waiting For confirmation of a rumour I heard !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Nope, looks like full back down on s&s

Where is this coming from?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

A reminder from post 1.
    • Address the points made (rather than the poster).
    • Definitely no personal comments judging other posters.
    • Definitely no telling other posters to leave the thread or 'jog on' etc that is considered back-seat-modding.

***Any New posters to the forum ***
    Read the charter. Also, 'Three months holidays', 'only working 22hrs' 'performance related pay' are old, typically uninformed and very very tired. It Invariably ends up in derailing a thread and annoying folk too... but feel free to start a new thread. This type of stuff may most likely be deleted from this thread.

Also now considered off topic is the old line that 'older teachers sold the younger ones out'. If you start this you may get actioned on... most likely because it means you haven't read this first post!
    MOD

As usual do not respond to flaming if you are a regular poster. Just report it as off-topic and leave the rest to us (when we get around to it).
    Also, thanks to those who have kept their cool and put people on ignore or reported posts.

Where is this coming from?

I also heard that from 2 different people 5 hours ago .........

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭worseforwear

Teachers are well paid already, if I get onto my TD it will be to tell them to sack the lot of the striking ones and go replace them with low paid teachers from Eastern Europe.

That would ensure a good leaving cert alright. Simples

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Amazing how none of the existing teachers cared about that when they voted for it in the first place. Where was the equality of pay then?

The country is still broke and yet Teachers seem to think its back to pre 2008.

I see you have been taken in by the media spin on this One.

For the last time, no teacher EVER voted to cut the pay of another teacher.

The cuts came from the Dail floor and the Public Accounts Committee.

What the teachers voted on back in 2010 was the Croke Park Agreement which ensured to preserve the pay of "existing public servants".
    No one knew that the government at the time would cut the pay for new entrants.

On top of that, the Croke Park and Haddington Road agreements BOTH had stipulations preventing strike actions by unions in those collective agreements which is why we are striking on the issue now.
    We weren't allowe strike legally until after July 1st 2016 and that's only because we voted to remain outside the Lansdowne Road Agreement.

THAT is the truth.
    Older teachers didn't sell younger teachers down any river.

Check your facts.
    Get your story straight
    Don't be spreading around untruths.

I see you have been taken in by the media spin on this One.

For the last time, no teacher EVER voted to cut the pay of another teacher.

The cuts came from the Dail floor and the Public Accounts Committee.

What the teachers voted on back in 2010 was the Croke Park Agreement which ensured to preserve the pay of "existing public servants".
    No one knew that the government at the time would cut the pay for new entrants.

On top of that, the Croke Park and Haddington Road agreements BOTH had stipulations preventing strike actions by unions in those collective agreements which is why we are striking on the issue now.
    We weren't allowe strike legally until after July 1st 2016 and that's only because we voted to remain outside the Lansdowne Road Agreement.

THAT is the truth.
    Older teachers didn't sell younger teachers down any river.

Check your facts.
    Get your story straight
    Don't be spreading around untruths.

So can I ask why then teachers continued to sign up to new agreements when the knew about the pay inequality?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭2011abc

Well if 'normal' school day is announced for tommorow at this late stage will be interesting to see how many of the legions of concerned students actually arrive in !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

Was one of them Richard Bruton and the other one Paschal Donohoe?? ;)

skippy1977 wrote: »
    Was one of them Richard Bruton and the other one Paschal Donohoe?? ;)

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

So can I ask why then teachers continued to sign up to new agreements when the knew about the pay inequality?

Read my post fully.

That would ensure a good leaving cert alright. Simples

Why? Do you think you are better than Teachers from the UK or other parts of Europe?

We already attract Nurses and doctors from around the world, why would Teaching be any different?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭painauchocolat

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Union has backed down press release on its way. School tm.

Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I've not heard it myself. It's just getting very late to be announcing that all schools will be open

2011abc wrote: »
    Well if 'normal' school day is announced for tommorow at this late stage will be interesting to see how many of the legions of concerned students actually arrive in !

My child's school managed to open on monday despite many of the teachers being ASTI members, the Board of management managed to do a lot of the Supervision and other teachers/heads covered staff absenteeism.

Its not impossible to open providing a decent board of management can work around the it.

I've not heard it myself. It's just getting very late to be announcing that all schools will be open

Would they be waiting for 9 o clock news i wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

I object to the moderator making sweeping statements about the UK system - stay on topic please - practise what you preach!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I value my child's education, shame some teachers don't.

I don't really know how you can say that while coming on here and showing disdain for the people who provide that education. Comparing to creche workers or any other profession, public or private, is comparing apples and oranges. Suggesting importing cheaper labour suggests that you regard education as another type of industry. Is your child a product on a conveyer belt, there to be shaped by general operatives who will fill him/her with information? Such an attitude does not suggest having value for education.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement