Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

URGENT: Last day for Submissions on Coveny's Rental Strategy

Options
  • 07-11-2016 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

The government are trying to introduce rent controls this side of Christmas and they’re trying to sneak it through quietly without giving landlords a decent chance to consider and respond to the proposal. What the new regulations would mean for tenants amongst other things is a) security of rents and b) indefinite leases – these will massively impact your property value in a negative way because if you’re ever considering selling, the tenant will have the right to stay in the property even when a new owner buys it. It will also be more difficult to evict troublesome tenants.

Similar measures were introduced in the UK in the late sixties and all it did was reduce supply as the increased regulation drove landlords out of the sector and also left them will less money for upkeep of their properties – all in all it didn’t help fix the housing crisis it just made it worse as there was less supply and lesser quality accommodation available for tenants.

You can have your say here https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/RentalStrategy

NB: Today is the closing date for submissions!! Told you they were trying to rush it through! Send this on to anyone you know who owns a second property and have them fill it out

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

****ty insecure rentals managed by amateur landlords are a large part of why people in this country are so desperate to own their own home.

I would have thought landlords would be in favour of a sustainable business model.

Home ownership levels in the UK were rising steadily from the mid fifties. I don't see any dislocation in the "late sixties" as you assert.

home-ownership-uk.png

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Lumen wrote: »
    ****ty insecure rentals managed by amateur landlords are a large part of why people in this country are so desperate to own their own home.
    "Amateur landlords" are the only ones renting out houses as the government washed their hands of it.
    I would have thought landlords would be in favour of a sustainable business model.
    Landlords would be in favour of having rights. Currently, if someone stops paying rent, it can take a long time to get them out, and when you do, you won't get any of your money back.

Its absolutely insane if they are considering the already very limited reasons a LL can end a tenancy such as wanting to sell or moving in themselves etc.

A property owner should retain rights to their property even if they choose to rent it out.

the_syco wrote: »
    "Amateur landlords" are the only ones renting out houses as the government washed their hands of it.
    Professional landlords are not deterred by regulation, it's just a cost of doing business. If the amateur landlords quit the market by selling stock to owner occupiers then demand contracts with supply and the world keeps spinning.

There are many more highly regulated letting markets than Ireland that still have "supply". Germany, for instance.

The OP has used the example of the UK but has presented no evidence that this produced the effect stated.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

There are many more highly regulated letting markets than Ireland that still have "supply". Germany, for instance.
    What knowledge or experience do you have of the rental sector in Germany? My experience lies completely at odds with your assertion. In the major cities there is chronic undersupply of rental properties. I'm a landlord here myself, demand in Berlin is insatiable. A typical viewing here involves dozens of people waiting on the stairs up to a place. And how about some coal fired heating in your apartment on the 4th floor? Yep that happens here still as rent controlled apartments never see a penny in upkeep.

It's not quite as black and white as you make out.

• Advertisement

murphaph wrote: »
    What knowledge or experience do you have of the rental sector in Germany? My experience lies completely at odds with your assertion.
    Which assertion?
    murphaph wrote: »
    In the major cities there is chronic undersupply of rental properties. I'm a landlord here myself, demand in Berlin is insatiable. A typical viewing here involves dozens of people waiting on the stairs up to a place. And how about some coal fired heating in your apartment on the 4th floor? Yep that happens here still as rent controlled apartments never see a penny in upkeep.

It's not quite as black and white as you make out.
    Sure, extreme rent controls are not a good idea. I've heard similar stories in Lisbon with absurbly cheap rent controlled apartments in buildings that are literally falling apart. Is that what's proposed here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

I doubt this survey will make one bit of difference. I hope it is not a legit survey by a minister. Imagine asking for contact details on a government survey anyone could set up with survey monkey?

Didn't they ever hear of data harvesting?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

davindub wrote: »
    I doubt this survey will make one bit of difference. I hope it is not a legit survey by a minister. Imagine asking for contact details on a government survey anyone could set up with survey monkey?

Didn't they ever hear of data harvesting?

To that end, does anyone have an official link to show this isn't some data mining exercise?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Yeah, it's legitimate - submissions should be made by 7th November 2016.
    Please note that all submissions received will be made available on the Department’s website unless otherwise requested
    http://www.housing.gov.ie/housing/private-rented-housing/public-consultation-strategy-rented-sector

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Which assertion?
    Your assertion that despite heavy regulation in Germany that there is "supply" (I assumed you meant adequate, rather than inadequate supply, or you wouldn't have had any point to make).

• Advertisement
Advertisement