Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Elgato Eve Energy Plugs

• 07-11-2016 2:59pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Ive thinking about buying some of these for a while, to remotely switch on devices around the house.

They are Bluetooth plugs and work with Apple Home\scenes etc, I know there are a few products like this around, but these ones seem to be getting decent reviews from what I can see.

has anyone any experience with them before I pick up a few?

Thanks

elgato-eve-energy.jpg

https://www.elgato.com/en/eve/eve-energy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,760 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I probably don't need these, but for reasons, I should probably get a few!!

do they come with a bridge that plugs into the router ala Philips Hue?
    edit: just seen that no hub is required,

I could see one of these used in my front room, controlling a gang that the TV, sound bar, Sky Box are plugged into, Does anyone know if you can set timers on them, say turn off at 9pm, and come back on at 8am or something? as that sort of functionality would be great for TV's etc on stand by

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

No i don't think so, they just connect using Bluetooth to your phone\ipad. if you have an appletv or ipad that stays at home you can control them when out of the house through Apple home on your mobile.

They appear to be apple controlled only from the website, which is fine for me, but others might not be apple users. they have buttons on the top of the plugs too i think for turning them on manually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

They appear to be apple controlled only from the website, which is fine for me, but others might not be apple users. they have buttons on the top of the plugs too i think for turning them on manually.

They look the best of all those types of units . Pricy at £44 each. But they have that cool energy monitoring function.

They look like they'd be restricted to apple home kit .

If it was me I'd get the lightwaverf hub I know I keep on about it but the hub and three of these with a remote will cost £120.

After that it's £12.5 a socket. They have dimming sockets for lamps they are 3 for £44
    Again with a remote.

After that you have an array of lightwaverf options
    Your immersion on a time £45
    Electric gates on timers and your app £30

TVRs for rads etc. Inline dimming modules etc . PIRs
    An energy monitor for your ESB Meter £25

So with the lightwaverf sockets you can switch them on and off remotely as well? I might have to have a think about these, im an apple person though so the apple home integration is kind of swinging me towards the elgato eve plugs.

Yeah if you are all apple work away. However IFTTT can close that gap.

Lightwaverfs iOS app get updates before the android one.

• Advertisement

So with the lightwaverf sockets you can switch them on and off remotely as well? I might have to have a think about these, im an apple person though so the apple home integration is kind of swinging me towards the elgato eve plugs.

I'll pop up some pics of my lightwaverf app later you can create events , and the events can be started or stopped from the web or your app.
    Now the events are a channel in IFTTT to call

IFTTT is a bit simple so using events is a great way to get many things happen at the same time.

For example I have a 500W relay I powered it with a live and neutral, I connected the two cables from my electric gate push contact to open the gate, no voltage contacts

When I set it up the gate opened and stayed open.
    I'd have to go back and set it to close.

But I made an event

Gate relay open
    Delay 30 sec
    Gate relay close

I named the event "Open Close Gate"

Now in IFTTT I made a button for my phone that called the event "Open Close Gate"

When you make the event on your phone app it automatically becomes and option for you to use in IFTTT as you input your log in details.

That way I got IFTTT to trigger one thing that in turn did three things

You could have that on your iPhone too.

Really for next level stuff imo you really want your set up in the cloud so you can operate it remotely and do that it can be linked with apps like Yonomi and IFTTT.

To be honest that all sounds way too complicated for me! I wouldn't know where to begin.

I looked at IFTTT but to be honest I don't see any reason personally why id want stuff like my lights flashing when I get a text message. maybe im missing something on the website and you can do more with it, but all the stuff just seems like quirky little things you can do with your lights etc and I wouldn't be into that. (I know you can do more like copy photos to drobox etc, im talking the home automation side of it.) Im probably just missing the point of it!

I looked at IFTTT but to be honest I don't see any reason personally why id want stuff like my lights flashing when I get a text message. maybe im missing something on the website and you can do more with it, but all the stuff just seems like quirky little things you can do with your lights etc and I wouldn't be into that. (I know you can do more like copy photos to drobox etc, im talking the home automation side of it.) Im probably just missing the point of it!

You are not you are bang on.
    If you were deaf the flashing lights would be good

I've a couple of PIRs in my house they turn the lights on when I walk in and off 10aec after I leave.

That's all I need, no hub, works 24/7 solid as a rock

I've a timer on the porch light to have it bright when my wife comes home from the train station in the winter evening can be secure and get the key in the door

My security lights come on when the alarm sounds

That is all I have.

Most people are like you in my experience

Never thought of the lights flashing for deaf people, that's a great idea actually.

The porch light too coming on when it gets dark would be a good one.

Id love a couple of cameras front\back as well.

For now im going to keep buying the hue lights, get a couple of these plugs to see what they are like and down the road get a couple of cameras. So ill be using this forum a lot!

Advertisement