Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a second home in Dublin

Options
  • 07-11-2016 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I live in the midlands and work in Dublin 2 - 3 days each week. I usually stay in a hotel a few nights each week and I can claim an overnight rate on my expenses. It looks like I will be doing this for the foreseeable future.
    I own my home and I have a rental property with no mortgage. This makes €800pm but I am getting heavily taxed on it and when expenses are taken into account it only makes €320-340 per month.
    I am considering selling this rental property and buying a 2 bed apartment in Dublin instead. I think an apartment in Dublin would be a better investment in the long run and I would have my own place to stay. This way I can still claim my expenses as I get a set overnight per diem (un-receipted) and rent the spare room to someone. Would I be eligible for the Rent a Room Scheme?
    I understand I would have the extra running costs with management fees, insurance, LPT, heating, electric, etc.
    Has anyone done this and has it worked out okay for you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Donie75 wrote: »
    Would I be eligible for the Rent a Room Scheme?

Rent a room is subject to it being your sole or main residence. If you are indeed staying 2-3 nights a week in the apartment, you may be able to support the argument that it is a main residence. You would not be able to claim relief on renting a room in your midlands home as well.

This is all uneducated reading of the law as I understand it, so it might be worth investing a bit of money with an accountant to make sure you figures add up. I would also check you're not dropping yourself in it by claiming an expense from your employer for what you're declaring is your main residence for rent a room relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

You should also ask a professional to explain the CGT consequences of changing your private residence from your midlands home to your Dublin apartment.

For CGT purposes a person may only have one private residence at a time.

Advertisement