Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving sky TV..

Options
  • 07-11-2016 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭

Wanted to get rid for a few mths and went for it this morning.....I was kept on the phone for ...1hr and seven minutes, it cost me €14 for the phone call....this is an absolute outrageous rip off, took 35mins for me to talk to someone, she was nearly crying that I wanted leave, kept going on about having no sky for the kids at Xmas, you'd think I was tying them up in the shed, I nearly thought at one stage she was going to call the child protection agency about this no sky for Christmas outrage, it was the worst hard sell by any company I've ever come across.. Is this typical of SKY?, how come it cost the guts of €15 just to cancel a service....is there anyone I can complain to over this bull ****...I'm absolutely fuming about this, it has to be the country's worst customer service ever...

Rant over..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭minterno

Sky will do anything to keep the money rolling in but they're a nightmare to get away from. Customer service is on a par with eir. All the giants seem to be the same

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Registered letter to them or just lie and tell them you are moving to Australia.

Not defending their bullsh!t but if you spent that long on the phone then you are not being assertive enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

When I left them last march it too about 15 mins, no bother at all. A couple of follow up phonecalls over the following weeks to try and keep me on but as they couldn't/wouldn't offer what I wanted (a cheaper bill, not discounts on things like movies and sports I didn't want in the first place) they didn't hang about when I said no...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Registered letter to them or just lie and tell them you are moving to Australia.

Not defending their bullsh!t but if you spent that long on the phone then you are not being assertive enough.

I think in the t&c's you have to call them to cancel.

Agree with this though, you were through after 35 minutes what were you talking about for 30+ more? Just say no thanks I want to cancel not interested in renewal can you give me details of my contract end date please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭denlaw

Lads, it took 34 mins to finally get to speak to someone, she kept going away from the conversation to talk to her manager, I told her I wanted to leave about 20 times, the sky one told me to calm down when I said I didn't want any new boxes, a cube, a cut in the mthly payment, or anything, she'd disappear again for another minute or two, asked for her name and a line manager who, miraculous, wasn't available, but was when they came back with "will somebody think of the kiddies at Xmas", then she spent five minutes going over the terms and conditions of leaving... Disappeared again, came back with €10 off the bill and a free HD box, I had a pain in my face saying just cancel the bloody account, I had the Mrs on one side telling me to calm down and whatever you do, don't swear at her....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

In fairness to them, Sky advisors are forced into this. They'll get the face eaten off them by their manager if they don't do whatever possible to keep a customer, it's frustrating but they are just trying to keep trouble off their back

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I sent a email last month that i wanted to cancel and actually got a call back 2 days later, so didnt have to hang on the phone costing me money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Always say you are emigrating. That's a guaranteed fast cancellation process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,227 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I left sky a while and never looked back. Anyway I told them I was going to live up a tree in the Trossachs and would be cutting all my ties to modern civilisation. Worked a treat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

If anyone else wants to cancel then get the lads over on the Sky Talk to forum to call you, they are pretty good like that.

http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1598

When they do, say you are either going to prison or emigrating and you will be done in 5 mins.

Not much good for the OP, but might help someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

had the same issue when trying to leave them. i complained to comreg about them as they were taking the utter p*ss. by filling in this form
    http://www.comreg.ie/queries-complaints/internet/query-complaint-form/
    you can help comreg deal with sky as the more complaints they get about this the better it is to help them crack down on this type of practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

bungaro79 wrote: »
    had the same issue when trying to leave them. i complained to comreg about them as they were taking the utter p*ss. by filling in this form
    http://www.comreg.ie/queries-complaints/internet/query-complaint-form/
    you can help comreg deal with sky as the more complaints they get about this the better it is to help them crack down on this type of practice.

You know comreg can do SFA about this right? they can only give recommendations, sky are under no obligation to do what they say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Sir, I will transfer your package to Sky HongKong and it will cost extra due to...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Either use the chat facility to arrange a callback or use talk to Sky on here requesting a callback because you want to cancel

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

My wife's name was on it it last year, and we wanted to cancel. Told her to be firm, but polite. Guy on the phone still had 3 attempts, met with a stern: "I've told you already I'm leaving, and I have fulfilled your T&C's by calling. If you had put as much time and effort into keeping your prices down, I wouldn't be leaving. Goodbye." Still got 3 letters asking her to come back to sky. FTA box and no more bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Christine LaDuchesse

Same here, tried to cancel, took us 47 minutes on hold before we ended up to speak to an actual person, and just like the topicstarters story, he did not want to take no for an answer. My husband kept very polite to him, but refused to answer any further questions, even when the Sky rep kept asking silly questions like, 'what kind of shows do you watch regularly', and 'you love sports, yes?', 'Can you tell me whether or not you own your house, or are you renting'. My hubby kept saying 'None of your business', and insisted on cancelling. Finally the chap was willing to 'put us through the cancellation process, and if we would hold for 2 minutes to put it through'. After 9!!!! minutes he finally came back only to confirm all was canceled, goodbye. Their CS is a total rip off for phone costs.

After the cancellation I started receiving phone calls from number 021 - 2353699. After picking up no one spoke but just hung up. WHen this happened 3 times I googled the number and apparently it is SKY sales, trying to get people back, and they wont stop calling at all, so I blocked the number. For me never Sky again. I have my own satelite dish now and a smart tv, and we manage perfectly with Netflix (only 7,99 per month) ,and all other online tv-services and live streams

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭foxatron

A lot of people are just to nice for the own good on the phone. You're better off just saying straight out, I want to cancel my subscription. Don't ask me any questions or offer me any other options. Thanks. It can seem a bit rude but better than spending money on a phone call at ridiculous rates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Vic_08 wrote: »

This. Granted I've gone through so many cancellations with providers, but really I don't think it's an excuse this day and age to sit there and go through the merry dance of loyalty retention departments if you go onto the call knowing under no circumstance are you staying.

If you were fishing for offers thats a different story. I cancelled my Sky earlier this year and took all of five minutes. The call started with "Listen I'm just cancelling, there is nothing you can offer me to stay, so I appreciate you will want to try retain me with offers but I've no intention of taking you up on anything".

Call took about 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

TheDoc wrote: »
    This. Granted I've gone through so many cancellations with providers, but really I don't think it's an excuse this day and age to sit there and go through the merry dance of loyalty retention departments if you go onto the call knowing under no circumstance are you staying.

If you were fishing for offers thats a different story. I cancelled my Sky earlier this year and took all of five minutes. The call started with "Listen I'm just cancelling, there is nothing you can offer me to stay, so I appreciate you will want to try retain me with offers but I've no intention of taking you up on anything".

Call took about 10 minutes.

You were lucky.

I had a nightmare trying to cancel with them a few months ago.

I did exactly the same thing, made it perfectly clear I wasn't looking for offers and just wanted to cancel. The "customer service" individual I was talking to said "Fine, just need to ask you a couple of questions as part of the process" - and then launched in to a survey about whether I owned my home, how many people live there, etc.

I interrupted her and repeated that I wasn't interested in answering survey question, offers, anything else I just wanted to cancel. She flat out refused to cancel my account unless I went through the process, which involved answering her survey questions. In the end I just told her to cancel the account and hung up.

I sent a complaint email to both Sky and Comreg (stupidly, since it was TV only and they don't regulate that, referred me to the CPCC).
    Also PM'd them again on boards the next day, got a call back.

she checked and the account hadn't been cancelled. Got her to confirm it was cancelled, and to send me an email confirming this too.

(For good measure I then received an email a month later saying they were sorry to see me go, followed immediately by one thanking me for signing up.)

They're an utter joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Ring up, tell them you're in court Friday and expecting a lengthy prison sentence.
    Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭oldon

Wife was trying to cancel sky number of years ago. They were doing a merry dance as they do.
    Told the operator that if they could match my new provider we would stay. But if they couldn't just put in the cancellation order . Told them I had a kodi system in place which cost my feck all a month. That I also have this call recorded so your t/c are covered. We do not wish any further contact or calls letters or emails. .
    We did receive the odd call and the odd flier. But sorted in 10 minutes or so. That was 4 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

It's complicated by the fact that a lot of people ring up to "cancel" but are just looking for discounted service, and actually want to go through the whole process. I've done it myself and will be doing so again next month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

lertsnim wrote: »
    Always say you are emigrating. That's a guaranteed fast cancellation process.
    kbell wrote: »
    Ring up, tell them you're in court Friday and expecting a lengthy prison sentence.
    Job done.

I don't get this need to lie. Just say you want to cancel, be firm and take no nonsense from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I don't get this need to lie. Just say you want to cancel, be firm and take no nonsense from them.

Which is no help when they ignore you and refuse to process the cancellation

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I think in the t&c's you have to call them to cancel.
    I wonder if there is anything to legally challenge this. Or I wonder if when signing up you could ask for something different in your contract when signing up.

If they can keep you on the phone for 1 hour 7mins whats to say they can't for 1 week? That is of course extreme but I really wonder could they?

I was asking this before about rogue private clampers, could they clamp a €1m supercar and ask for €500,000 for its release -I think there was a call for limits on them by some minister.
    The lie might have them back down a hell of a lot faster. I wonder if they do have any rules where they back down quicker. Like claiming you do not watch tv, your spouse did, who just died yesterday and start fake weeping. They would want to be complete scum to continue badgering you.

• Advertisement

Advertisement