Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asking a builder to paint different colour than white / beige on a new house?

Options
  • 07-11-2016 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,105 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what peoples experiences are in this?

I would like not to pay again to have someone paint the colours we want, the standard colour scheme is the usual neutral shades of everything, which is fine, but in some rooms ill want something else.

do builders normally do this if you ask? or do they just paint it the way they said they would and tell you to do what you like afterwards?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Some of them offer a choice from a select range of colours. Gannon homes in Clongriffin for example and the Siin Hill development in Drumcondra also.

But, that's not the norm. Most will simply paint with off white due to cost. I'm sure you could agree a price to "upgrade" the paint colour but then you run the risk of the site painter just slapping it up.

You could also use the off white as a base and then just paint with the other colours at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,105 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

kceire wrote: »
    Some of them offer a choice from a select range of colours. Gannon homes in Clongriffin for example and the Siin Hill development in Drumcondra also.

But, that's not the norm. Most will simply paint with off white due to cost. I'm sure you could agree a price to "upgrade" the paint colour but then you run the risk of the site painter just slapping it up.

You could also use the off white as a base and then just paint with the other colours at a later date.

cheers buddy

i guess the off white as a base means you need a coat less when getting it painted afterwards

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Cyrus wrote: »
    cheers buddy

i guess the off white as a base means you need a coat less when getting it painted afterwards

Yeah as the fresh plaster absorbs the first coat nearly.
    We done the same with an extension, builders finish included painting and we just got floor to ceilings white then painted as we wished in the colours that were required in the coming weeks after.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,336 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Allowing them to put on a coat of white vinyl emulsion might be more costly in the long run if, for example, you intended to use more chalky Farrow & Ball type paint which does not adhere so well to such paints and can easily result in three or more coats to get suitable coverage. I speak from bitter experience. The painter was surprised at how little impact the first two coats had and thus is what he attributed it to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Marcusm wrote: »
    Allowing them to put on a coat of white vinyl emulsion might be more costly in the long run if, for example, you intended to use more chalky Farrow & Ball type paint which does not adhere so well to such paints and can easily result in three or more coats to get suitable coverage. I speak from bitter experience. The painter was surprised at how little impact the first two coats had and thus is what he attributed it to.

Farrow and Ball isn't a great paint though. It is really suited for any high traffic areas such as a hall or a kitchen. A decent paint shop will mix you up a generic to Farrow and Ball in a better quality paint such as Colortrend for a fraction of the price.

• Advertisement
Advertisement