Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climbing Truskmore

Options
  • 07-11-2016 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Quick question - doing the county peaks and wish to climb up Truskmore.

I've read reports about people not wanting trespassers or the like, and I'd like to feel safe parking the car up and doing the climb in comfort! Some posts seem to suggest they're sound enough about it. I'm just going up and down, no messing or littering or anything!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

I think you need permission from RTE to access Truskmore. Maybe give them a call at their Sligo office/studio in Finisklin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Its a private road, and the mountain is full of bog holes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

From what I've read, if you are discreet, there will be no hassle on the RTE paved access road.... Although you might think it's too easy or cheating to use a road :)

Truskmore will take care of Sligo and Leitrim. There is a southeastern cairn (twenty metres lower elevation than the Sligo summit) that marks Leitrim's high point.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Phantasos

I'm using the county peaks to regain a small bit of fitness, so the road will be grand! :P

I'm hoping to do some of the 'easy walk' climbs over the winter months because I'm doing everything solo and want to be a responsible 'hiker'.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Your car should be safe enough OP, the 'Horseshoe Road' is a public road, its just nearly every feild off it has the no tresspassing signs. The gate its self up to Truskmore as well, as far as I can remember, not that I would encourage it, is a simple farmer gatr that can be hopped over. Not sure though if there as any kind of layby where you can park, unless you use the parking at the start of the Horseshoe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

People walk up and down the road all the time. Just don't block the gate with your car. Sometimes farmers drive up to check on sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

You could park here and follow the road towards the gate for the Private Road to Truskmore:

http://bit.ly/2gcSCQa

I don't think there's any other suitable places to park because it's a narrow road.

Be sure to post up some pictures here, stunning place.

Advertisement