Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand Slam 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Only Wade can keep in a game with a 90 average...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Head Wreck

James Wade like a bad clinker, you just can't shake him off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Fantastic match between Anderson and Wade there.

Wade is such a gritty match player, how he keeps in those games averaging 91 or 92 is mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Well done Wade...threw the right darts at the right times. He'll need to up his game later and hope MvG misfires to have any real chance though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Two really enjoyable matches for very different reasons...
    Think MVG will win the final easily but hoping for Wade to put up a decent fight.

• Advertisement

Taylor is a pri5k period, he was in Gorey last year and not a lot of money was made after he got his cut. He was asked would he sign the 3 practice boards for charity and he said no way he had done enough.

Also at the same event he turned up 90 min late even though he was in his bedroom at the hotel where the event was been staged but just kept everyone waiting. An absolute wank5k of the highest order.

As I said he does a lot of things that put people off him.

Personally the only time I saw him was outside Citywest after the darts on the Friday a few years ago. He pulled up in a car with two security men and they all got out. I approached and the security guards told me to buzz off, Taylor told them it was ok and called me over to get my program signed.
    Snipe23 wrote: »
    Taylor's board signing drama after he wins is mind games pure and simple

Nonsense.

So he's playing long term mind games for the next time they play is it.
    Ally Dick wrote: »
    And Wright bottles another one. Wade will bottle the other semi too

You always pull this rubbish.

Wright played amazing and averaged 102.

Losing to an opponent averaging 111.17, 17 180s and 47% on doubles in bottling now is it.

Clueless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

Wade is just so steady and a clinical finisher, fair play to him but I think it's gonna be a case of a bridge too far in the final. Can see him staying with MVG early doors but can see MVG hitting a purple patch and pulling away big time.

16-9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

liam7831 wrote: »
    Wade wouldn't win an argument

Hasn't won the argument yet but debating well!!!!

Hope he wins it now

TbL

Wade has improved and MvG no into the groove yet...that's what Wade needs to win but a long way to go.

Wade missed a trick there.

Should have been 4-1 at the break.

Putting pressure on MVG is the only way to have a hope, if he builds up a lead he's a steamroller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Not looking good for James now Mvg getting into his stride,Wade just doesn't have the scoring power to stay with him.

Had a tenner on James at 25-1 nice recovery there saying that took his chance when Mvg didn't.

Good 82 check out from Wade...really needed that...7-3 at the break and would have most likely been beyond him. It probably is beyond him in all liklihood but you never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

mvg will just get better ,wades in deep crap

10-5 and MvG with the darts in the next. That bull finish was game set and match right there I think.

No stopping him when he hits the high gear.

Wade now not helping himself you can see him talking and criticising himself,first time all tournament he has done it.

Looking good for next month though a lot of players in form.

12-8 now
    Wade showing glimpses of his true class fair play for not lying down and being steamrolled.

crasy dash wrote: »
    12-8 now
    Wade showing glimpses of his true class fair play for not lying down and being steamrolled.

I think at the beginning of that session Wade told himself he was gonna get beat whatever he does so he may as well relax and enjoy it. Won 3 legs there so seemed to have worked.

raiders11 wrote: »
    Wade is just so steady and a clinical finisher, fair play to him but I think it's gonna be a case of a bridge too far in the final. Can see him staying with MVG early doors but can see MVG hitting a purple patch and pulling away big time.

16-9

That pretty much summed it up. MvG's purple patch wasn't even all that purple but didn't need to be. Wade just couldn't match him.

Any chance of sky getting a couple of new walk on girls sick of looking at the usual two haha.

Good win and nice words by mvg at the end.
    That's the best I have seen Wade play in a long the.

Roll on Friday and ITV 4 and the cash converters
    Championship final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,148 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Just another day at the office for Michael. He's going to take some stopping at the World Championship.

• Advertisement

Worlds will be interesting.

It's the one tournament where he hasn't been as successful over the past four years only winning it once and beaten in one final.

The set format doesn't seem to suit his game as well as the legs. Players can hang tight and still have a chance vs his purple patch.

gramar wrote: »
    That pretty much summed it up. MvG's purple patch wasn't even all that purple but didn't need to be. Wade just couldn't match him.

Yep, MVG didn't get anywhere near top gear to win that but fair play to Wade, got to the final, good weeks work done and will give him a lift for the World Champs.

Just another day at the office for Michael. He's going to take some stopping at the World Championship.

He will but that's been said every year and in 3 of the last 4 someone has.

mdwexford wrote: »
    Worlds will be interesting.

It's the one tournament where he hasn't been as successful over the past four years only winning it once and beaten in one final.

The set format doesn't seem to suit his game as well as the legs. Players can hang tight and still have a chance vs his purple patch.

Totally agree, set format is a different ball game. He can hit a purple patch, win 3 legs in a row but its only a set won, compared to opening a 3 leg lead which most will find hard, reel back in. Hard for him to get into a good rhythm too, a break every 3-5 legs...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Head Wreck wrote: »
    Wright was never in a position to 'bottle' it?

Losing a great game against probably the best player ever, no shame in that

He stepped off the gas pedal for the last five or so legs. In other words mentally he bottled it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Ally Dick wrote: »
    He stepped off the gas pedal for the last five or so legs. In other words mentally he bottled it

Wright is a fantastic player and can up his game to play with the best, but...I do think he is a bit brittle mentally. I've seen it down through the years, he always seems to come out second best in tight pressurised games.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Van Gerwen is like a runner who you catch up with, and he looks over and smiles, and accelerates out in front of you. You need a five leg lead against him to have any chance. Must be annoying to play against

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

gettin fair sick of watchin him steamroll everybody
    viewing figures are going down , no surprise

very like the taylor era
    getting boring

people need to up there game to match him

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I agree that darts has reached saturation point too. There's too many glorified unranked exhibition tournaments on TV that I have zero interest in watching and I'm sure I'm not alone in this. Couple that with MvG winning most tournaments and it's understandable why figures are down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Yep, I've definitely gone to being a casual darts fan. Whereas I'd previously watch every ranking tournament and some of the non ranking stuff, I'll struggle to even watch a lot of the worlds this year.

Family, work, evening study commitments haven't helped... But saturation is a factor, also its hard to listen to the guff from the sky hype machine, then there's the racket from the fans.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement