Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand Slam 2016

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

the rest of the top lads dont do enough to challenge him,bar maybe peter wright,they dont practise enough and admit it, it was the same in taylors era,nobody did enough as he was so good compared to them, taylor and mvg do/did the practise hours .

can only hope some of the lads coming through are as committed as mvg etc. smith,lewis,both supremely talented are regressing, lewis prefers the easy route it seems,he is just as good as mvg,just couldnt be arsed it seems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

the rest of the top lads dont do enough to challenge him,bar maybe peter wright,they dont practise enough and admit it, it was the same in taylors era,nobody did enough as he was so good compared to them, taylor and mvg do/did the practise hours .

can only hope some of the lads coming through are as committed as mvg etc. smith,lewis,both supremely talented are regressing, lewis prefers the easy route it seems,he is just as good as mvg,just couldnt be arsed it seems

There's a lot of money on offer for 'mediocrity'. There are a lot of players who don't challenge for trophies but who get through a few rounds...1/4's semi's and they make a very good living. Just looking at the PDC order of merit there are 31 players with earnings over 100k this year...plus sponsorship and exhibitions.

Bunting hasn't figured all year that I can remember but 215k is a decent living.
    You'd have to wonder if they are only practising and have enough ambition just to maintain that kind of income and aren't bothered with going all out to challenge the elite players. Whitlock is another...hardly seen his smig all year but he's got 200k to show for his troubles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I agree that darts has reached saturation point too. There's too many glorified unranked exhibition tournaments on TV that I have zero interest in watching and I'm sure I'm not alone in this. Couple that with MvG winning most tournaments and it's understandable why figures are down.

But what's the difference from when Taylor was winning all round him?

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

TbL

It wasn't on tv every week??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

TbL

Yes too much on telly now, sky struggling for content,

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Head Wreck

Sorry now but thats rubbish.. u think the only reason no one is challenging him is because they couldn't be bothered? MvG is just a freak, hitting 180s since he was 5.
    Mvg also said many a time that he doesn't practice, he says they play enough tournaments now that he just warms up for a hour before a game

And Simon Whitlock had a great year, he won 2 tournaments an reached lots of semis

Really can't get over that statement.. You think if everyone practices the same amount of time they'd all be equal? If it was that simple I'd be a pro

Head Wreck wrote: »
    Really can't get over that statement.. You think if everyone practices the same amount of time they'd all be equal? If it was that simple I'd be a pro

I never said they would be equal,mvg is a freak,freak averages on a regular basis,best I've ever seen..but he does practice,but if your not as talent you have to work hard,same as anything else in life,if you work at it you will improve at it,staying the same isn't a option for the rest of them because they are not as good on a normal day as mvg etc.

If he has off days he is beaten ,put him under pressure he misses,just like the rest..

Go up there unprepared and you will loose mostly. If mvg didn't throw a dart for a year do you think he would still be world class as soon as he starts back? Not a hope

And Simon Whitlock had a great year, he won 2 tournaments an reached lots of semis

He won two small tournaments...MvG has won 24.

That might be a great year for Whitlock and that's exactly my point. If winning 2 players championships in Dublin and Barnsley is a great year then the top players won't have much to worry about.

• Advertisement

gramar wrote:
    That might be a great year for Whitlock and that's exactly my point. If winning 2 players championships in Dublin and Barnsley is a great year then the top players won't have much to worry about.

Its a great year for a player who had lost his form for a few years. He got to the latter stages of almost all tournaments this year.

I never said they would be equal,mvg is a freak,freak averages on a regular basis,best I've ever seen..but he does practice,but if your not as talent you have to work hard,same as anything else in life,if you work at it you will improve at it,staying the same isn't a option for the rest of them because they are not as good on a normal day as mvg etc.

If he has off days he is beaten ,put him under pressure he misses,just like the rest..

Go up there unprepared and you will loose mostly. If mvg didn't throw a dart for a year do you think he would still be world class as soon as he starts back? Not a hope

So most of what your saying is if MVG plays bad he can be beat? Cheers for that.

He may be a bit rusty after a year off alright, whats this got to do with no one being able to beat him because they couldn't be bothered?

Its a great year for a player who had lost his form for a few years. He got to the latter stages of almost all tournaments this year.

Again, that kind of proves my point. Latter stages, some decent cash to be make but how bothered is he or others in that category of player about really challenging the elite for big prizes. My suspicion is that they're not all that concerned.

gramar wrote:
    Again, that kind of proves my point. Latter stages, some decent cash to be make but how bothered is he or others in that category of player about really challenging the elite for big prizes. My suspicion is that they're not all that concerned.

What gives you this suspicion? Every player can't win you do know that? So your logic is that anyone who doesn't win a tournament against MVG just isn't bothered or concerned?

What gives you this suspicion? Every player can't win you do know that? So your logic is that anyone who doesn't win a tournament against MVG just isn't bothered or concerned?

I think there are a considerable number of the players ranked in the top 25 that aren't bothered about not being contenders for big titles. They are happy to hoover up decent cash at the many tournaments that are held.
    They don't need to win to make a decent living and barring a few like Klaasen and Michael Smith I don't see too many who have much ambition beyond earning a nice few quid each year with the odd final here and there.

gramar wrote:

When Whitlock missed the double 15 to beat MvG at the WSOD finals a few weeks ago, was that because he "wasn't concerned" about winning??

When Whitlock missed the double 15 to beat MvG at the WSOD finals a few weeks ago, was that because he "wasn't concerned" about winning??

We can go around in circles all day...you think what you think..I think what I think.

gramar wrote:
    We can go around in circles all day...you think what you think..I think what I think.

Fair enough, but you think wrong my friend.

Looking foward to the Worlds now, MvG and 71 other players who couldn't be bothered trying to win it....

Fair enough, but you think wrong my friend.

Looking foward to the Worlds now, MvG and 71 other players who couldn't be bothered trying to win it....

Ahhhh...the last word........

gramar wrote:

Well you bring up a ridiculous accusation on all players, then have no way to back it up.

You belittle Simions 2 pro tour wins and say thats evidence that he's not trying? Do you not understand how silly that is.

• Advertisement

Well you bring up a ridiculous accusation on all players, then have no way to back it up.

You belittle Simions 2 pro tour wins and say thats evidence that he's not trying? Do you not understand how silly that is.

I'm not accusing anybody of anything. Just observing.
    My observation is backed up by the players involved at the business end of the majority of tournaments. The same names appear over and over on the roll of honour occasionally punctuated by a midtable player who has hit a hot streak some weekend in Barnsley.

As for Simon's achievements (first name terms I see) as darts tournaments go, the ones he won are mickey mouse.

gramar wrote: »

Apt user name if ever I saw one he has

Do ye play darts at any competitive level lads? Cos ye haven't got a clue about the game, and haven't a clue about the mental side of it.

Yer argument is, anyone who isn't winning 24 tournaments a year isn't concerned, couldn't be bothered?

Ye have my head wrecked!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

This thread has well and truly run it's course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement