Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leaf - pre-warning tips

• 07-11-2016 9:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Today was the first frosty morning of the winter in Limerick city and we (thought we) were prepared... Leaf connected overnight with charge and climate timers set.

But somehow we must have done something wrong. The car cabin was ice cold and windows still frosted over.

Anyone any ideas/tips on what way to set the timer/climate control to have the car warmed and windows clear?

Update: 151 SV with cold pack - if relevant

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Hi all,
    Today was the first frosty morning of the winter in Limerick city and we (thought we) were prepared... Leaf connected overnight with charge and climate timers set.

But somehow we must have done something wrong. The car cabin was ice cold and windows still frosted over.

Anyone any ideas/tips on what way to set the timer/climate control to have the car warmed and windows clear?

Any chance the car didn't flip the hour back?
    It can be set manually or to auto flip it. Maybe yours is on manual?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

KCross wrote: »
    Any chance the car didn't flip the hour back?
    It can be set manually or to auto flip it. Maybe yours is on manual?

The time is right... The charge timer came on at the right time. The car also shows that a climate timer is set.

I get the feeling I'm missing how/where to set what I want the climate settings to be; eg heat & defrost, when the timer kicks in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I turn mine on from the Nissan EV App as soon as the alarm clock goes off.

Could you post up a pic of the screen where you configured it. It might give us a clue of what you did wrong.

Also, is this the first time you've tried it?

macnab wrote: »
    I turn mine on from the Nissan EV App as soon as the alarm clock goes off.

Had tried that :D
    Couldn't connect... Typical, the time I really want to use it, it doesn't work

• Advertisement

KCross wrote: »
    Could you post up a pic of the screen where you configured it. It might give us a clue of what you did wrong.

Also, is this the first time you've tried it?
    yeah... first attempt.
    Ta for suggesting the screenshot. I spotted my error. had it set for 8pm. foolishly assumed it was a 24 hour clock.
    I've corrected it, see below, and will try again tomorrow401048.jpg

Another mistake is to set the time for say 13.30 am but forget that's another day ! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭k123456

Quick question on Pre Warming
    161 SV with cold pack - I activate the warming using on an ad-hoc basis using the phone app (not timer)
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What happens in cold weather please ?[/font]
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The steering wheel heats up [/font]
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Heated seat switches on, assuming the toggle switch is in on position[/font]
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Does the car heat up to a pre-assigned temp, does the heat and fans switch off when the temp is met, or do they switch off after a set time[/font]
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Is the Air directed to windscreen , or ....to whatever area (feet for example) that was last selected by the driver [/font]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,942 ✭✭✭Soarer

Another mistake is to set the time for say 13.30 am but forget that's another day ! :D

To be fair to the car, Stephen Hawking couldn't tell you what time you meant by that.

k123456 wrote: »
    Quick question on Pre Warming
    161 SV with cold pack - I activate the warming using on an ad-hoc basis using the phone app (not timer)
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What happens in cold weather please ?[/font]
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The steering wheel heats up [/font]
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Heated seat switches on, assuming the toggle switch is in on position[/font]
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Does the car heat up to a pre-assigned temp, does the heat and fans switch off when the temp is met, or do they switch off after a set time[/font]
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Is the Air directed to windscreen , or ....to whatever area (feet for example) that was last selected by the driver [/font]

When initiated by the app it runs for 15mins
    The temp setting is set in the display in one of the menus.

Not sure where it directs the heat. I'd assume it demists the window since thats usually clear and just generally drives heat into the car. It doesnt matter where it drives it (head or feet).

• Advertisement

Soarer wrote: »
    To be fair to the car, Stephen Hawking couldn't tell you what time you meant by that.

LOL typo yeah it would be hard for anyone ! :D

I meant 12:30 am. ;)

Yes the timer ( set in the head unit ) activates up to 30-40 mins before the end time after which it ends to the second, there is no grace period which bugs me, the car can cool off a lot in 5 mins if it's very cold.

I'm not 100% sure but I think the timer setting in the app sets the heat to come "on" at that set time, it's not a depart time like in the car head unit, again , I'm not 100% sure on that.

Setting the heat remotely activates the heat for only 15 mins. Which won't defog as good as when it's set by the head unit.

There is a "prioritise" setting in the head unit which will give preference to heat or battery charge, if you have it set to prioritise charging then heat will "not" come on until battery charge reaches 80%. If priority is not given to charge then heat will come on below 80% while plugged into the mains.

Remote activation of heat may still come on below 80% if the head unit is set to prioritise charging, I can't remember checking this.

Remote activating heat can take 5 mins.

What I did before work charging was set the heat to come on 10 mins before I left, that gave 5 mins for the signal to reach the car and 5 mins to heat.

Unless it's very cold of the windows are fogged up there might be no need to set the heat at all because the Leaf with heat pump warms up incredibly fast, and light years earlier than any ICE especially diesel, though a lot of modern diesels have an electric supplementary heater which reduces efficiency but a lot of diesels doing town drives today would not output a lot of heat without it.

Advertisement