Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Atheist Ireland AGM followed by public meeting

• 07-11-2016 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Atheist Ireland are having their AGM in Wynns Hotel Abbey St Dublin on the 19th of November at 11 till 5. The morning session is for members only and the afternoon session 2.30 to 5 is an open meeting featuring a talk from Secular imam Ibraham Noonan. All welcome. Non members can join on the day and attend the AGM.
    facebook event page here
    event page here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

"A secular imam"?? :D
    The guy is an Ahmadi Muslim.
    Now by the grace of Allah Ibrahim Noonan Sb is serving as a missionary in Ireland.
    He'll have his work cut out, trying to convert that lot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

My brain association has turned AGM from annual general meeting, into Atheist Genital Mutilation, so I won't be attending the meeting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,712 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I think you need to take your brain in hand and give it a good talking-to.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Peregrinus wrote: »
    I think you need to take your brain in hand and give it a good talking-to.

7aa0da77069fd6b14978719b2ff4599b.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Why does the thread have to turn into a joke about Ibrahim Noonan speaking ?

Sure let's start slagging the head Of The atheists too, what's his name again ?

I met Ibrahim in Galway before he seems like a nice guy.

• Advertisement

Why does the thread have to turn into a joke about Ibrahim Noonan speaking ?
    It isn't, really. It's a joke about the mental association the letters "AGM" have for Akrasia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Nick Park

recedite wrote: »
    "A secular imam"?? :D
    The guy is an Ahmadi Muslim.

Ahmadi Muslims believe in the separation of mosque and State. Therefore their goal for a secular society, where religion is granted no special privileges and subject to no special restrictions, is entirely in line with the kind of society desired by many atheists (and by Christian secularists as well).

Every minority religion believes in the separation of church/mosque and state.
    Until they become a majority religion ;)

That's why the founding fathers of the US constitution were so keen on it; to protect the religious freedom of the pilgrims who, as a minority, were getting away from religious persecution in Europe.

It still doesn't make Noonan a secular imam. A secularist imam, maybe.
    But hey, no big deal. Ahmadi Muslims are my favourite Muslim flavour. :)

Nick Park wrote: »
    Ahmadi Muslims believe in the separation of mosque and State. Therefore their goal for a secular society . . .
    Nitpick. Their goal is for a secular state. They certainly don't want a secular society, any more than secularist Christians do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Ahmadi Muslims believe in the separation of mosque and State. Therefore their goal for a secular society, where religion is granted no special privileges and subject to no special restrictions, is entirely in line with the kind of society desired by many atheists (and by Christian secularists as well).

they are irrelevant though in terms of Islam, they are pretty much the 7th day Adventists of the Muslim world, is anyone suggesting that they will have an effect on other Muslims?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote: »
    is anyone suggesting that they will have an effect on other Muslims?

No, I don't think anyone is suggesting such a thing. They, like atheists (and Seventh Day Adventists, for that matter) are minority groups that would be much better served by a secular society rather than one where a religion exercises any measure of dominance or control.

..is anyone suggesting that they will have an effect on other Muslims?
    They sometimes have an aggravating effect on other Muslims.

Nitpick. Their goal is for a secular state. They certainly don't want a secular society, any more than secularist Christians do.

I think that depends on how one defines 'secular.' Apologies for quoting from myself, but I think the following snippet from a recent book sums it up:
    From "The Gospel & Human Rights":
    One of the problems with the words secular and secularism is that they are used in two entirely different ways. Some people understand secularism as a desire to eradicate religion from public life altogether – that you can practise religion in private but shouldn’t speak about it in public. Heiner Bielefeldt, Professor of Human Rights and Human Rights Policy at the University of Erlangen, makes a very useful distinction between doctrinal secularism and political secularism.
    Doctrinal secularism is anti-religious in nature and wants to see religion banished altogether. In many ways this kind of aggressive secularism functions like a dogmatic religion itself.
    Political secularism is the idea that the State should be entirely neutral with respect to religion, and that religion should be afforded no special privileges and subject to no special restrictions. In a politically secular society all religious groups, and those of no religion, operate on a level playing field and compete in the marketplace of ideas. As Bielefeldt puts it, political secularism “gives religious communities their independence from unwanted state intervention, and makes possible that people across religious boundaries enjoy equal rights and an equal status as citizens.”

I think this kind of secularism goes beyond the State and speaks to how our society is constructed. It is not just separation of Church and State, but rather advocates a society where tolerance and civility is accorded to those with whom we disagree.

I think this kind of secularism goes beyond the State and speaks to how our society is constructed. It is not just separation of Church and State, but rather advocates a society where tolerance and civility is accorded to those with whom we disagree.

is there any safeguards built into that ? normally minorities have been harmless enough, if someone is Amish or a Quaker it ought not be skin off anyone's nose, the default position is that minorities like these tend to be small and stay small and tend to keep to themselves. However what happens if Salafism takes off in a minority community and that minority community is growing?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Well then the secular state would try to differentiate between religion (which it would not interfere with) and aspects of religious practice which might be illegal or against the secular values of the society. Some issues are going to be right on the borderline such as the Burqa issue in France. Is it harmless religious apparel, or the subjugation of women?
    Another future one for Ireland will be the establishment of new gender segregated Salafist schools, and how that sits with our idea of equality. We already have gender specific schools, as a legacy of the past, but society's ideas of equality are constantly evolving.

Well then the secular state would try to differentiate between religion (which it would not interfere with) and aspects of religious practice which might be illegal or against the secular values of the society. Some issues are going to be right on the borderline such as the Burqa issue in France. Is it harmless religious apparel, or the subjugation of women?
    Another future one for Ireland will be the establishment of new gender segregated Salafist schools, and how that sits with our idea of equality. We already have gender specific schools, as a legacy of the past, but society's ideas of equality are constantly evolving.

illegal might be easy enough to define, trying to tease out what is against the secular values of the state is going to be verging on thought crime at one extreme so essentially unenforceable. In the end its going to have to widen out into a numbers issue and potential for integration. the lower the number the less concern about integration the higher the number the potential spill over into the general society the more concern.

is there any safeguards built into that ? normally minorities have been harmless enough, if someone is Amish or a Quaker it ought not be skin off anyone's nose, the default position is that minorities like these tend to be small and stay small and tend to keep to themselves. However what happens if Salafism takes off in a minority community and that minority community is growing?

I think the answer is that you treat it exactly the same as you would treat a non-religious movement that promotes violence or intolerance - such as this ghastly new 'National Party' that we hear about in the news of late.

I think the answer is that you treat it exactly the same as you would treat a non-religious movement that promotes violence or intolerance - such as this ghastly new 'National Party' that we hear about in the news of late.

they are not the same though. if the "national party" set up its own schools and indoctrinated kids and wanted random special rights about how they conduct themselves in public you might be heading for a basis of comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There's no question about it that religions get a free pass to do things that would otherwise be found unacceptable, even in western societies supposedly more secular than our own.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Akrasia wrote: »
    My brain association has turned AGM from annual general meeting, into Atheist Genital Mutilation, so I won't be attending the meeting

Dr Rorschach will see you shortly.

• Advertisement

I think that depends on how one defines 'secular.' Apologies for quoting from myself, but I think the following snippet from a recent book sums it up:

There's usually not much value in arguing over the definition of a word, Nick. But for what it's worth I think the disagreement between us is not really about the meaning of the word "secular"; it's about the distinction between the society and the state.

A secular state acts without regard to religious beliefs, or beliefs about the afterlife, the supernatural, etc. So in a secular state the institutions of the state do not, for example, engage in parliamentary prayers, or maintain an established church, or compel church attendance, or criminalise sacrilege or blasphemy, or engage in official worship, etc..

But that's quite different from a secular society, which would be one where society at large disregards beliefs about religion, the afterlife, the supernatural. A secular individual does not manifest religious beliefs or practices; a secular society would not manifest religious beliefs or practices. Christians don't generally aspire to a secular society, though they may aspire to a secular state. A society in which any number of people go to church, for example, is not a secular society.

Christians don't generally aspire to a secular society, though they may aspire to a secular state. A society in which any number of people go to church, for example, is not a secular society.
    Its not that simple.
    Imagine a society where all the schools are controlled by a religion V one where all the schools are secular. One is a secular society, one is not.

The state may or may not be secular, depending on how, or whether, it funds the schools.

A hypothetical society in which everybody went to church once a week, but everything else was religion free, could be considered to be operating as a secular society.

Its not that simple.
    Imagine a society where all the schools are controlled by a religion V one where all the schools are secular. One is a secular society, one is not.
    No, no, no. One society has secular schools and the other does not. But the society which has secular schools may be distinctly not-secular in other respects.

Exhibit A: the United States. Certainly not a secular society, given the role religion and churches play in social, political, cultural, etc life - and indeed in education. But it has secular (public) schools.
    The state may or may not be secular, depending on how, or whether, it funds the schools.
    It has to depend on more than that, surely? The state might be not funding the schools, but doing other things that are distinctly non-secular.

Conversely, the state could be funding schools without regard to their religious character or lack of it; that would be a secular position on the part of the state. But the society would not be secular if, in fact, there were any signficant number of religious schools.
    A hypothetical society in which everybody went to church once a week, but everything else was religion free, could be considered to be operating as a secular society.
    Not by me, it wouldn't. Churches are social instititions, and a society which has religions social instititution is not a secular society.

There are probably no truly, completely secular societies. But a society can fairly be called secular if most of the population pays no attention to religious considerations in their lives, their choices, their actions. Having a government that pays no attention to religious considerations is not the same thing at all.

Not by me, it wouldn't. Churches are social institutions, and a society which has religions social institution is not a secular society.

There are probably no truly, completely secular societies.
    That's your opinion and you are welcome to it. But the point being made is that other people are likely to interpret the meaning of "a secular society" differently.
    IMO a society which generally functions in a secular way ie being "blind" to a person's religion or lack of it" is a secular society. The presence of churches or religious people in the society is not the determining factor. So long as they do not seek to use their religion to influence the running of non-religious aspects of society.

Of course, therein lies the problem. The religious fundamentalist will find it impossible to separate his religion from all other aspects of life. And on finding himself in a dominant position, will seek to exert control over the society. This can happen even if the state itself is ostensibly secular and neutral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

That's your opinion and you are welcome to it. But the point being made is that other people are likely to interpret the meaning of "a secular society" differently.
    IMO a society which generally functions in a secular way ie being "blind" to a person's religion or lack of it" is a secular society. The presence of churches or religious people in the society is not the determining factor. So long as they do not seek to use their religion to influence the running of non-religious aspects of society.
    Hmm. Our old friend wikipedia says "In studies of religion, modern democracies are generally recognized as secular. This is due to the near-complete freedom of religion (beliefs on religion generally are not subject to legal or social sanctions), and the lack of authority of religious leaders over political decisions. Nevertheless, religious beliefs are widely considered by most to be a relevant part of the political discourse in many of these countries (most notably, in western society the United States ).This contrasts with other Western countries such as Britain and France where religious references are generally considered out-of-place in mainstream politics."

It seems to me secular societies might be more defined by religious freedom than the absence of religion in society? And if people are free to be religious (even if they're not) I can't see how their opinions won't be influenced by their religion. And being members of the society, their opinions (at least in a democracy) will influence all aspects of society, not just the religious ones.
    Of course, therein lies the problem. The religious fundamentalist will find it impossible to separate his religion from all other aspects of life. And on finding himself in a dominant position, will seek to exert control over the society. This can happen even if the state itself is ostensibly secular and neutral.
    Well.. it's not just a problem with religious fundamentalists; anyone with an opinion is likely not to separate their opinions from all other aspects of life, and if in a dominant position will exert control in line with those opinions. You yourself have said you would nationalise private schools in Ireland in order to further your opinions, and you're not a religious fundamentalist, are you? Provided with a dominant position, you might well act to impose your view on abortion on society, and that opinion is not religiously founded is it?
    Your problem is a problem with democracy; people get a say regardless of why they want to say.

I think what we're arguing over is not the nature of secularism, rec. It's the meaning of "society". Churches, etc, are part of society - often, quite an important part. A society in which churches and the like are a significant or influential presence is not a secular society. A society in which any significant number of citizens or voters or politicians act in a way that is influenced by their religious beliefs is not a secular society. Such a society may contain secular institutions, and/or significant numbers of secular individuals, but I don't think you can say that society overall is secular. A secular society would have to be largely irreligious.

It's perfectly possible to have secular state in a society which is not secular. France would be a good example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

I disagree. I think even if we still had a massive majority who were nominally catholic we would still have a secular society (if we removed Church influence from the state) as most people claiming Catholicism in Ireland live far more secular lives than devout ones.

Absolam wrote: »
    It seems to me secular societies might be more defined by religious freedom than the absence of religion in society?
    That's my point, so I agree. It was Peregrinus who suggested otherwise.
    And if people are free to be religious (even if they're not) I can't see how their opinions won't be influenced by their religion.
    A fair point, and some influence is acceptable and only to be expected. But if their religion is a dominant influence, then it can't be considered a secular society.
    A good example is the recent SSM referendum which indicates that our own society is maturing into a predominantly secular society. That in itself is a momentous and very recent development.
    You yourself have said you would nationalise private schools in Ireland in order to further your opinions, and you're not a religious fundamentalist, are you?
    Not "to further my opinions". I don't envision my musings being read out to pupils in future schools, in lecture form. Not that I would object to them being studied outside of school, you understand. Its just that the whole purpose of secular schools would be to keep propaganda and all that sort of thing out of the schools.
    Provided with a dominant position, you might well act to impose your view on abortion on society, and that opinion is not religiously founded is it?
    Perhaps when I am benevolent dictator that will happen. But as you seem to be pointing out yourself, it won't have any bearing on whether the society is secular or not.

Qs wrote: »
    I disagree. I think even if we still had a massive majority who were nominally catholic we would still have a secular society (if we removed Church influence from the state) as most people claiming Catholicism in Ireland live far more secular lives than devout ones.

They might well do but the fact is that our constitution mandates all Irish citizens and our institutions of state to follow a specific belief system (christianity) and it's been pretty damn clear from the establishment of same to the present day that the RC 'hierarchy' are upon a pedestal and have bulletproof legal immunity, defended by the state, up to and including freedom to rape tens of thousands of children with legal impunity.

Just watch Enda or his useless successor fawn over the child-rape-defender-in-chief when he visits. :mad:

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

A fair point, and some influence is acceptable and only to be expected. But if their religion is a dominant influence, then it can't be considered a secular society.
    What is acceptable would seem to me to be a matter for the people themselves, and if they are strongly religious they would deem a strong religious influence acceptable, would they not?
    A good example is the recent SSM referendum which indicates that our own society is maturing into a predominantly secular society. That in itself is a momentous and very recent development.
    What if the recent SSM referendum result was a result of a resurgent Christian sentiment "love thy neighbour as thyself?" Then religion would have been a dominant influence in society maturing into a predominantly secular society. Or would it be maturing into a predominantly religious society? I think your example probably bears more scrutiny before using it as a springboard for leaping to any conclusions.
    Not "to further my opinions". I don't envision my musings being read out to pupils in future schools, in lecture form. Not that I would object to them being studied outside of school, you understand. Its just that the whole purpose of secular schools would be to keep propaganda and all that sort of thing out of the schools.
    Well.... your purpose of secular schools would be to keep propaganda and the sort of thing you don't agree with out of the schools, which is my point, you're only swapping someone else's opinion for yours. It's the same thing, just the way you like it instead of the way everyone else likes it.
    Perhaps when I am benevolent dictator that will happen. But as you seem to be pointing out yourself, it won't have any bearing on whether the society is secular or not.
    Well, there's also the point that a dictatorship wouldn't fit too well with the notion of modern democracy, so falls at the first hurdle when it comes to the definition we're considering.

They might well do but the fact is that our constitution mandates all Irish citizens and our institutions of state to follow a specific belief system (christianity) and it's been pretty damn clear from the establishment of same to the present day that the RC 'hierarchy' are upon a pedestal and have bulletproof legal immunity, defended by the state, up to and including freedom to rape tens of thousands of children with legal impunity.Just watch Enda or his useless successor fawn over the child-rape-defender-in-chief when he visits. :mad:
    Well that's certainly taking hyperbole to new heights! I can't wait til everyone knows they're mandated (as long as they're citizens) to follow christianity, never mind the rest :D

ARTICLE 44

1 The State acknowledges that the homage of public worship is due to Almighty God.
    It shall hold His name in reverence, and shall respect and honour religion.

Scrap the cap!

ARTICLE 44

1 The State acknowledges that the homage of public worship is due to Almighty God.
    And that mandates every citizen to follow christianity how?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Originally Posted by recedite
    Absolam: What is acceptable would seem to me to be a matter for the people themselves, and if they are strongly religious they would deem a strong religious influence acceptable, would they not?

You are surely aware that your response in no way deals with recedite's argument? Your point about religious influence being acceptable would not make the society secular, which is what recedite is discussing.

Your arguments are getting weaker, presumably you are assuming that at this stage very few are actually reading them and therefore you can safely waffle.

Well.... your purpose of secular schools would be to keep propaganda and the sort of thing you don't agree with out of the schools, which is my point, you're only swapping someone else's opinion for yours. It's the same thing, just the way you like it instead of the way everyone else likes it.
    Well, no, I did say my propaganda should only be studied outside of school hours ;)

Also... what Looksee said above.

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    You are surely aware that your response in no way deals with recedite's argument? Your point about religious influence being acceptable would not make the society secular, which is what recedite is discussing.
    I am aware that I was responding to the idea that "some influence is acceptable and only to be expected.", which is why I quoted recedite saying "some influence is acceptable and only to be expected.". You are surely aware that everything discussed is not neccasaily only ever going to address a central point. For instance recedites ideas about what makes a society secular don't directly address the op, which is that Atheist Ireland held an agm followed by a public meeting. But we don't mind discussing it all the same.
    Your arguments are getting weaker, presumably you are assuming that at this stage very few are actually reading them and therefore you can safely waffle.
    Mmm. I think your glass house is considerably more friable than my own in this circumstance... or were you considering weighing in on any of the topics being discussed?

Well, no, I did say my propaganda should only be studied outside of school hours ;) Also... what Looksee said above.
    How is that different from saying
    the whole purpose of secular schools would be to keep propaganda and all that sort of thing out of the schools.
    ? And how is it not swapping your opinion for someone elses?

I am aware that I was responding to the idea that "some influence is acceptable and only to be expected.", which is why I quoted recedite saying "some influence is acceptable and only to be expected.". You are surely aware that everything discussed is not neccasaily only ever going to address a central point. For instance recedites ideas about what makes a society secular don't directly address the op, which is that Atheist Ireland held an agm followed by a public meeting. But we don't mind discussing it all the same.

That is true, but arguing a central point just occasionally would keep the discussion on topic. Of course when the point is irrefutable then it is easier to ramble off on a side trail. And even more satisfactory when everyone follows down the side trail, till they mostly get bored and go home for tea, leaving just a couple of suckers to continue taking ever more minor paths till they have no idea where they are.

Ignore worthless posts and move on.

Scrap the cap!

Ignore worthless posts and move on.

True, but the noise to signal ratio is a bit overwhelming. Which is, of course, the intention.

• Advertisement

ARTICLE 44

I didn't realise it was quite that specific. It would save a lot of other messing with the constitution if that one were repealed.

That is true, but arguing a central point just occasionally would keep the discussion on topic. Of course when the point is irrefutable then it is easier to ramble off on a side trail. And even more satisfactory when everyone follows down the side trail, till they mostly get bored and go home for tea, leaving just a couple of suckers to continue taking ever more minor paths till they have no idea where they are.
    Well... if you're worried about getting lost on the path you're heading down, particularly given your interest in keeping the discussion on topic, maybe don't go down that path? Is there something you'd like to discuss about the Atheist Ireland AGM?

I didn't realise it was quite that specific. It would save a lot of other messing with the constitution if that one were repealed.
    Specifically what messing? Obviously Hotblack couldn't substantiate any of his points, but I am fascinated to see what tangible effect the existence or lack thereof anyone believes Article 44.1 has.

Unless of course you think Hotblack's interjection was also rambling off on a side trail, and we're all likely to get bored go home for tea, leaving just a couple of suckers to continue taking ever more minor paths till they have no idea where they are. In which case carry on with whatever you were going to say about the AGM until you got distracted?

That one, and one or two others, should be put to the people in a referendum.
    In a previous incarnation of the Citizens Assembly which is sitting now, (called Constitutional Convention) they were suppose to be gauging public opinion on a number of issues including SSM, the Blasphemy laws, minimum voting age to be reduced, and the presidential term. Apparently the 8th amendment issue was a bit too thorny at the time.

There were twice as many public submissions calling for the Separation of Church and State/ repeal of blasphemy offences, as compared with those interested in a reduction of the voting age to 17.

And what referendums did we get?
    One on the SSM issue, which was good.
    And one to reduce the minimum age of a presidential candidate to 21 - which hardly anybody had called for, and which was overwhelming rejected by a record breaking 73% of the electorate. A pointless "stocking filler" of a referendum.

Now we have the new version Citizens Assembly and the separation of church and state is nowhere to be seen on the agenda.

ARTICLE 44

With that in place, doesn't it make the blasphemy laws pretty much inevitable?

It wouldn't seem so? It certainly places no obligation on the State to take any action with regards to the acknowledgment. Nor has anyone (to my knowledge) ever offered the argument that blasphemy legislation is required by the Constitution.

Moot point as there's also this in Article 40
    40.6.1 ... The publication or utterance of blasphemous, seditious, or indecent matter is an offence which shall be punishable in accordance with law.

which is what was used to make the claim that the constitution mandates the government to enact blasphemy legislation.

Between that, Art 44 and the Preamble it's very clear what sort of society was envisaged by the authors of the constitution - an overwhelmingly catholic state with all aspects of legislation and social policy informed by RC church teaching, where religious freedom was guaranteed but in practice the means of asserting one's freedom not to follow catholic moral teachings was highly restricted.

I can't imagine what the purpose of Art 44.1 is
    ARTICLE 44

1 The State acknowledges that the homage of public worship is due to Almighty God. It shall hold His name in reverence, and shall respect and honour religion.

except to underline the catholic confessional nature of the state and that its citizens are expected to be christians. A state cannot worship a god after all so this is clearly referring to the citizens of the state.

Scrap the cap!

I can't imagine what the purpose of Art 44.1 is . . . except to underline the catholic confessional nature of the state and that its citizens are expected to be christians. A state cannot worship a god after all so this is clearly referring to the citizens of the state.
    Well, to pick nits, not only is Art 44.1 not specifically Catholic; it’s not even specifically Christian, and the Supreme Court pointed this out as long ago as 1972 in the Quinn’s Supermarket case. It was relied on in that case to uphold the constitutionality of an exception to the Sunday trading laws to accommodate Kosher butchers.

It’s correct to point out that “a state cannot worship a god”, but the provision doesn’t say anything about the state worshipping anything; it talks about public worship, which is a different matter. The public is not the state.

As to the purpose behind it, my guess is that it was originally inserted into the Constitution as a counterbalance to the old Art. 44.1.2 and 44.1.3 which (until they were deleted by referendum in 1972) used to recognise the “special position of the Holy Catholic Apostolic and Roman Church as the guardian of the faith professed by the great majority of the citizens”, and also recognised named and unnamed “other religious denominations existing in Ireland”. The point about Art 44.1 was that it wasn’t specific about denomination or about any particular religion; it acknowledges religiosity in general.

Art 44.1 was never been much relied on or cited by the Supreme Court, and as far as I can see it has played no role at all in Irish constitutional law since Art. 44.1.2 and 3 were deleted. It’s probably a dead letter.

Hotblack is of course right to say that it’s not the constitutional foundation for the blasphemy law; that’s Art 40.6.1.i, which explicitly requires that blasphemy (along with sedition and indecency) be criminalised. This is expressed as a qualification on the right to freedom of expression guaranteed by Art 40.6.

Whatever the motivation behind this provision, the stated reason for including it is not the defence or advancement of religion, but the desire to prevent freedom of expresssion from being used “to undermine public order or morality or the authority of the State”.

On edit: I've no idea if, when they deleted Art 44.1.2 and 44.1.3 back in 1972, they gave any thought to deleting (what was then) Art 40.1.1 as well. It would be interesting to know why they didn't delete it.

40.6.1 ... The publication or utterance of blasphemous, seditious, or indecent matter is an offence which shall be punishable in accordance with law.
    which is what was used to make the claim that the constitution mandates the government to enact blasphemy legislation.
    Well that certainly looks like you are offering the argument that blasphemy legislation is required by the Constitution? Not the Constitutional provision Looksee imagined required it, but nevertheless, it's a very good point; there is a provision which requires there be some legal punishment for the publication or utterance of blasphemous matter.
    Between that, Art 44 and the Preamble it's very clear what sort of society was envisaged by the authors of the constitution - an overwhelmingly catholic state with all aspects of legislation and social policy informed by RC church teaching, where religious freedom was guaranteed but in practice the means of asserting one's freedom not to follow catholic moral teachings was highly restricted.
    Well, it's certainly clear that the State at the time had an overwhelmingly Catholic population with a corresponding outlook, and was highly dependent on the Church in many ways, no doubt about that.
    I can't imagine what the purpose of Art 44.1 is except to underline the catholic confessional nature of the state and that its citizens are expected to be christians. A state cannot worship a god after all so this is clearly referring to the citizens of the state.
    I'd imagine the purpose was to acknowledge that the State did not consider itself greater than God and knew it's place in the greater scheme of things.
    Just as the monarch of Britain is the King/Queen in Parliament under God, and the Founding Fathers of the US declared their rights derived from God and governments are instituted to secure those rights.

The acknowledgement in the Irish Constitution places no obligation on the people, and obliges the State only to hold His name in reverence, and respect and honour religion. So as long as the State doesn't slag off god or be deliberately disrespectful of religions (as distinct from prosecuting or condemning acts commited by religious people or for religious reasons), which wouldn't be a terribly Statelike thing to do anyways, it seems the people don't need to do anything, and the State needs to not be a dick. Not that tricky a proposition, surely?

I can't imagine what the purpose of Art 44.1 is

except to underline the catholic confessional nature of the state and that its citizens are expected to be christians. A state cannot worship a god after all so this is clearly referring to the citizens of the state.

Yes, that is a better analysis, but any reference in the constitution to respect for religion does suggest that blasphemy laws would be necessary.

As an aside, I have no wish to see other people's ideas indiscriminately derided, but the opportunity to put the opposing view or point out the irrational bits should not be forbidden, any more than religious observation should not be forbidden. I am free to say that religious belief is nonsense in the same way that religious people are entitled to say I will burn in hell.

• Advertisement
Advertisement