Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Atheist Ireland AGM followed by public meeting

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

looksee wrote: »
    Yes, that is a better analysis, but any reference in the constitution to respect for religion does suggest that blasphemy laws would be necessary.
    Only if the reference were one which required the populace to respect the mores of religions, or something similar? That the State is obliged to hold the name of Almighty God in reverence doesn't mean it's obliged to ask or demand anyone do the same.
    As an aside, I have no wish to see other people's ideas indiscriminately derided, but the opportunity to put the opposing view or point out the irrational bits should not be forbidden, any more than religious observation should not be forbidden. I am free to say that religious belief is nonsense in the same way that religious people are entitled to say I will burn in hell.
    That's true, which is reflected in the fact that whilst the State is obliged to make blasphemy punishable by law, it can set out it's definition and conditions of blasphemy in such a way as to make it practically impossible for anyone to be prosecuted for exercising their freedom of speech in that regard. I'm inclined to see the legislation as a 'work-around' that observes the Constitutional requirement until that part of the provision is repealed, whenever that may happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,712 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

As an aside, I have no wish to see other people's ideas indiscriminately derided, but the opportunity to put the opposing view or point out the irrational bits should not be forbidden, any more than religious observation should not be forbidden. I am free to say that religious belief is nonsense in the same way that religious people are entitled to say I will burn in hell.
    I'm no defender of the Irish blasphemy law but, for the record, I think it does leave you free to say that religion is nonsense. To commit blasphemy, you have to say something "grossly abusive or insulting in relation to matters held sacred by any religion" rather than in relation to religion itself (and furthermore you must do so with the intention of causing outrage among a substantial number of the adherents of the religion concerned, and you must succeed in causing that outrage).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Is Michael Nugent still the leader of Atheists in Ireland ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Michael Nugent still chairs the advocacy group Atheist Ireland:

http://www.michaelnugent.com/about/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No, because atheists in Ireland do not have a leader.

Of course Robin's answer is also entirely correct. Those atheists who chose to join AI have chosen a chairperson of AI.

Scrap the cap!

I, for one. welcome our new atheist overlord.

Hmm. What would a modern PC rendition of overlord be?

Absolam wrote: »
    Hmm. What would a modern PC rendition of overlord be?
    Ubermod.

Uber sounds a but racist/fascist, but mod could be sufficiently non trigger-ish alright.

Perhaps equamod?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Ubermod.
    J'approve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Absolam wrote: »
    Uber sounds a but racist/fascist, but mod could be sufficiently non trigger-ish alright.

Perhaps equamod?
    How about Aquamod?

Powerful, with an arsenal of searing logic, but in a non-threatening, gender-vague sort of way.

Advertisement