Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Settled claim against me, CAN'T get insured.

Options
  • 07-11-2016 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I was in an accident in November 2014 where I rear ended another vehicle and dented her bumper. Since then she has claimed for trauma etc etc the usual for the claim merchants, and she came out with 39,000 euro about 3 months ago. My insurance company I was with up until a few days ago has cancelled my insurance as they thought the claim would only be around 2,000 euro for damages, although this was subject to change as I got insured when the claim was open. I was a learner driver when I crashed and now have my full licence over a year. I am now 20 going on 21 and cannot find anywhere to insure me. I just bought a 2016 Polo 1 Litre and now its just sitting in my driveway. Pleeeease Help Me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

where you accompanied by full licence holder when you crashed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

My insurance company I was with up until a few days ago has cancelled my insurance as they thought the claim would only be around 2,000 euro for damages,

Can you explain this in more detail? Are they saying you misrepresented some facts? Are they the company you had the accident with?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 EmmaOReilly09

Yes I was and that never really came up in the claim

Yes, originally the estimated damages were 2000 which is what i told her on the phone but there was a mess up with the forms along the way. I think they were under the impression the claim was closed maybe even though i clearly stated It was open in my original quote and on the phone several times... and no my previous insurance company that I crashed with refused to quote me again so I went elsewhere

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

How many companies have you gotten quotes from?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

bisset wrote: »
    where you accompanied by full licence holder when you crashed.

Yes I was and that never really came up in the claim

Just shows how stupid that law is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

You can get three refusals in writing, and go to the declined cases committee and they'll instruct a company to quote. It'll be in the region of €3k I'd expect, just for TP cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭MrBlack93

Edups wrote:
    Just shows how stupid that law is.

Oh yes because allowing someone who may not have had formal lessons to drive on their own unsupervised is a great Idea.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Yes, originally the estimated damages were 2000 which is what i told her on the phone but there was a mess up with the forms along the way. I think they were under the impression the claim was closed maybe even though i clearly stated It was open in my original quote and on the phone several times... and no my previous insurance company that I crashed with refused to quote me again so I went elsewhere

You've a whole heap of things going against you there. You need to approach the Declined Cases Committee in Insurance Ireland for guidance

http://www.insuranceireland.eu/consumer-information/general-non-life-insurance/motor

Stheno wrote: »
    How many companies have you gotten quotes from?
    A lot more than 3 anyway.. I am waiting for refusal letters. When I done this last year they gave me a quote for 7,900 euro on a 04 206... who has 8000 for a car that costs 1k??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

MrBlack93 wrote: »
    Oh yes because allowing someone who may not have had formal lessons to drive on their own unsupervised is a great Idea.....

What the hell is the driver beside you going to do? Take control before you crash?? We didn't have the law for years and learner drivers managed to survive.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

A lot more than 3 anyway.. I am waiting for refusal letters. When I done this last year they gave me a quote for 7,900 euro on a 04 206... who has 8000 for a car that costs 1k??

So you have not gotten one single quote? It's the declined cases committee you need now but expect to pay the sort of figure above.

Maybe sell the new 16 polonium and use the proceeds for an older car and insurance

Have you a full licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭9935452

I was in an accident in November 2014 where I rear ended another vehicle and dented her bumper. Since then she has claimed for trauma etc etc the usual for the claim merchants, and she came out with 39,000 euro about 3 months ago. My insurance company I was with up until a few days ago has cancelled my insurance as they thought the claim would only be around 2,000 euro for damages, although this was subject to change as I got insured when the claim was open. I was a learner driver when I crashed and now have my full licence over a year. I am now 20 going on 21 and cannot find anywhere to insure me. I just bought a 2016 Polo 1 Litre and now its just sitting in my driveway. Pleeeease Help Me

When you had the accident were you driving on someone elses policy.
    Normally if you have an accident you are stuck with the same insurance company until its sorted as noone else will touch you.
    If this was the case the insurance company would have known all about the accident/payout.

The best advice here is by Sue Pa Key Pa. Get advice from Declined Cases Committee to see where you go from here.

IMO the worst thing here is having insurance cancelled, it will haunt you for the rest of your days,
    have you ever had insurance cancelled on the aplication form for insurance.
    The moment you say yes, they wont quote and you will end up going down the 3 refusal letter route each year.

Advertisement