Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magic eye for DVR

Options
  • 07-11-2016 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question.

Is there such a thing like a magic eye that can be used on a DVR so that the DVR can be put in the attic or somewhere, but the remote will still be able to work it? It's for my father in law, and he doesn't do smartphones and has no internet, so something a little more old skool would suit him better.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

If it's an infrared remote, you can get adapters that will send IR over coax cable. Ebay/Amazon will probably have them. I also used to have a One4All remote extender that worked wirelessly. It had a special sleeve that slipped over the battery in the remote that captured the remote signal, and transferred it to the receiver which could be placed anywhere in the house. Worked quite well most of the time, except when battery signal was low.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

That last thing that slipped over the battery sounds like the job. Less hassle by the sounds of things. In case that doesn't work, what are the special adapters that works with the coax? Like have you got a name? I've had a look on the interweb, but I think I'm too generic with my search terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

'IR extender' or IR injector' should give some results. I haven't actually used any of these myself apart from a Sky Magic Eye, which won't work in this case, so can't comment on the quality. I think the OneForAll product may be discontinued now, but have a look for OneForAll Remote Extender - I'm sure there might be some on eBay.

Perhaps might be worth asking over in the TV or Satellite forums as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Thanks for that.

Advertisement