Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to add and cut out of diet to get more no energy.

• 07-11-2016 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

I think my diet needs to be changed. I seem to always feel tired and just want to sleep. It doesn't matter if I get 5,6 or the full 8 hours I still feel tired. Note I'm a vegetarian so I don't eat meat or fish. I also follow slimming World.

Breakfast

A 'fry'

Mushrooms Tomatoes, and 2 eggs all fried in fry light.
    2 slices of wholemeal toast.
    1/3 tin of beans.

LUNCH
    Pasta with salad and 2 tbl spoons of butter.

DINNER (1 of following)
    Homemade chips baked. Rice, Noodles with homemade citty sauce. (Beans, tin tomatoes and peas blended with swartz curry powder.
    Pasta salad.
    Bolagnese with either quorn Mince or meatballs.
    Fried vegetables with a side of quote meatballs or Mince.

About 5 cups of tea. No suger, dash of skimmed milKnow.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I'd reduce or cut out the baked beans and tinned peas because they're laced with sugar, which would give an energy boost then crash.

You seem to have a fair chunk of carbs with every meal. Could you replace the pasta at lunch with a home made veggie soup and some salad? Or the chips/pasta/rice with more vegetables and some more protein.

I'd also add fats into your diet. I know they're not a free food on SW, but I'd use your syns on stuff with fats, like peanut butter, avocado, etc, and use some nuts instead of bread as your healthy extra B choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Star_Nupa

Are you eating enough? Do you know how to calculate how much you should be eating?
    See here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

You take any supplements like B12 seeing as how you're vegetarian? You can track your vitamins on myfitnesspal or cron-o-meter.

Do you have any kind of sleeping disorder? Might be worth looking into.

The beans are fine in moderation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Are you getting plenty of water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

http://sigmanutrition.com/episode133/
    Have a listen to that

Sub optimal diet and sleep are only two reasons why you might lack energy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭Ruby31

Are you drinking the tea with your meals? Tea inhibits iron absorption. You might be anaemic. You should hold off on drinking tea for at least half an hour after eating. The only way to tell for sure if you're anaemic is to ask your GP for a blood test.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Have you calculated your daily calorie intake versus your daily needs?

For intake, use an app like my fitness pal.

For daily needs, take your bodyweight in pounds, and multiply it by 14.

Or, take your bodyweight in kg and multiply it by 31.

If your needs are higher than your intake, then you're running on empty and gonna feel tired.

The hierarchy to check is...

Sleep, then;

Total intake of calories, then;

Macronutrient composition, then;

Meal timing & frequency, then;

Everything else like micronutrients, underlying isssues etc etc.

Get the majors right, and the minors take care of themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think my diet needs to be changed. I seem to always feel tired and just want to sleep. It doesn't matter if I get 5,6 or the full 8 hours I still feel tired. Note I'm a vegetarian so I don't eat meat or fish. I also follow slimming World.
    Are you trying to lose weight at the minute? (Slimming world assumption)

The basic tenet of weightloss is that you consume less than you eat. Doing so means you'll have slightly less energy. People might disagree and cite this diet or that diet and how they lost weight with loads of energy. Fact is, if they ate more to cover all their activity they'd have more energy.

The bigger energy deficit you push, the more you'll struggle with energy output. If you've no idea of where your calories input/output lies, then that's the first place I'd check for an issue.
    I'd reduce or cut out the baked beans and tinned peas because they're laced with sugar, which would give an energy boost then crash.

Baked Beans are less than 5% sugar, Peas 2.5%. That's not significant imo.
    Certainly not worth describing them as "laced with" as if its poison.

Advertisement