Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post now leaving parcels outside

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭gezley

We are rural and the house is 30metres from the gate. The postman always calls to the door with parcels. If we are not here he would leave it at the back door and put a note in the letterbox.

OP, just say it to him politely and I'm sure he'll do whatever is best for you. There is no incentive to the postman to encourage you to get the parcelbox.

There is of course an incentive. If just 30 households along his route got the box he could shave 60 minutes off his day, assuming he saves 2 minutes per household walking up to the door, ringing the bell, having someone sign for the parcel and walking back to the van.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

gezley wrote: »
    There is of course an incentive. If just 30 households along his route got the box he could shave 60 minutes off his day, assuming he saves 2 minutes per household walking up to the door, ringing the bell, having someone sign for the parcel and walking back to the van.

You are not thinking this out. Routes change and time and motion type studies are used to see how many deliveries a postman can do each day. If the postman can get more work done because of the increased use of Delivery Boxes then the postmans run will be increased and less postmen will be employed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'm sorry but I just don't believe our postman thinks like that at all. He is extremely obliging and never hurried.

And in a rural area you think he'd have 30 oversized parcels every day? You are stretching credibility somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Writing out the not in card is not instant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

postie is required to deliver to your post box,and no further, if post box is inside a gate thats locked he or she does not have to jump or climb anything to attempt delivery to the postbox ..

your postie is doing you a favour and saving himself the hassle of writing a not at home notice by leaving it at the back door or with a neighbour for you, if you dont want them doing it say it to them,tell them to leave the notice so you can go and collect it .

i suspect the postie in the op was either lazy or trying to help,but leaving a package exposed to the elements is stupid by any postie.

also,the new postboxes wont make a posties route quicker at all,he needs to unlock the box,and then scan it ,pop the mail in,remove any mail left for posting,close box.

a letterbox is simply pop them in and walk away.

it will save writing slips for small packages for sure.

they are not supposed to be installed further away than your original letterbox,as believe it or not every route is measured and timed to fit the distance covered. but they have been installed behind locked side gates by some right idiots.

• Advertisement

I'm sorry but I just don't believe our postman thinks like that at all. He is extremely obliging and never hurried.

And in a rural area you think he'd have 30 oversized parcels every day? You are stretching credibility somewhat.

Delivery boxes are for signed deliveries as well. 30 deliveries of oversized parcels and parcels or mail requiring a signature on a route covering 100s of households is not stretching anything at all in this era of internet ordering. In my OP I was just inquiring whether others had similar experiences recently, to see if this was a new policy at An Post designed to force more people to take up the new DeliveryBox. The conversation, like so many here, went off on a tangent, and this original point was lost. Reminds me of RTE radio. So many voices, interruptions and tangents nobody ever comes away enlightened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Your original post gave the clear impression that they just randomly stopped delivering to your door.

Now we know there's a lot more to it. And we know that we're only getting your side of the story. And that, at the very least, you have a loose dog on your property. So it's not a straightforward case of a lazy postman. At all.

Ring your local delivery office and try to come to an amicable arrangement. Collection from the delivery office seems like the best idea.

Delivery boxes are for signed deliveries as well. 30 deliveries of oversized parcels and parcels or mail requiring a signature on a route covering 100s of households is not stretching anything at all in this era of internet ordering. In my OP I was just inquiring whether others had similar experiences recently, to see if this was a new policy at An Post designed to force more people to take up the new DeliveryBox. The conversation, like so many here, went off on a tangent, and this original point was lost. reminds me of RTE radio. So many voices, interruptions and tangents nobody ever comes away enlightened.

So NO its not a new AnPost policy. It seems you have lost the good will of your postman so until that changes you are stuck. I suspect your postman thinks dammed if I do dammed if I don't so takes the easiest option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Your original post gave the clear impression that they just randomly stopped delivering to your door.

Now we know there's a lot more to it. And we know that we're only getting your side of the story. And that, at the very least, you have a loose dog on your property. So it's not a straightforward case of a lazy postman. At all.

Ring your local delivery office and try to come to an amicable arrangement. Collection from the delivery office seems like the best idea.

Postmen are usually quite safe when there is a post delivery van around. You'd think ours would kill the postman as soon as they hear his van but let them out at him and all they are interested in is sniffing all the van tyres and pissing on them :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

They did something with our parcel recently that I thought was to incentivise us to buy the box, but I can't remember what it was. Damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Nope,only if the postman has post for you,will he check for letters you want posted.

You can, but they are quite specific in stating it'll only be taken if you have incoming post.

I've only used it once - Gone Away on a debt collector letter for someone who is gone at least half a decade.

Delivery boxes are for signed deliveries as well. 30 deliveries of oversized parcels and parcels or mail requiring a signature on a route covering 100s of households is not stretching anything at all in this era of internet ordering. In my OP I was just inquiring whether others had similar experiences recently, to see if this was a new policy at An Post designed to force more people to take up the new DeliveryBox. The conversation, like so many here, went off on a tangent, and this original point was lost. Reminds me of RTE radio. So many voices, interruptions and tangents nobody ever comes away enlightened.

On a point of order, you raised the conspiracy theory around the parcel box.

I didn't give any such impression. What can be dropped into the box at the gate is dropped into the box at the gate.

No change there.

What needs a signature is brought to the front door for a signature.

No change there.

What cannot be dropped into the box at the gate, and doesn't need a signature, had until recently been brought to the door. If nobody was in to accept it they would leave it in the porch. Fair enough - no complaints there.

The change is not random at all. They have simply stopped taking oversized parcels to the front door and started dropping them BESIDE the letterbox at the gate, in full view of passing motorists and completely exposed to the weather. This started a number of weeks ago. Why so many of you see ME as the problem here is beyond me. The legal case involving a dog the postwoman ran over was 8 years ago. This new practice of dropping parcels at the roadside is only weeks old.

For the love of God can you stop making an issue out of this that is simply not there? I am not to blame; I don't have an ongoing quarrel with An Post over a dog that died in 2009. Please grow up and deal with the OP as it is expressed, not as you imagine it to be.

Have you actually spoken to the postman about it???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

no,only on days the box is getting mail is it checked,its for non essential postings

Have you actually spoken to the postman about it???

If I knew what time she was coming I would wait at the gate for her. Trouble is can be any time between 1100 and 1430. It can also be any one of 3 delivery persons as well, though usually it's been a postwoman.

It doesn't seem right that we should have to bring this up. I spent 3 years as a courier so I know how frustrating it is for these drivers but not once did I leave somebody's parcel at the gate in full view of everybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Why don't you leave a large note on the postbox saying "Mr Postman, please call to the house I need to speak with you"?, and then ask him to stop leaving parcels out on the road?

Why don't you leave a large note on the postbox saying "Mr Postman, please call to the house I need to speak with you"?, and then ask him to stop leaving parcels out on the road?

That would be too easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Or a note saying, stop firing parcels on the ground.

Our postie started leaving smaller packages outside, so I bought a cheap plastic garden storage box from Argos and asked him to leave them there.

If I knew what time she was coming I would wait at the gate for her. Trouble is can be any time between 1100 and 1430. It can also be any one of 3 delivery persons as well, though usually it's been a postwoman.

It doesn't seem right that we should have to bring this up. I spent 3 years as a courier so I know how frustrating it is for these drivers but not once did I leave somebody's parcel at the gate in full view of everybody.

Ask the postman to beep their horn when they pull up maybe your near enough to hear it - works for us.

That would be too easy.

The purpose of this thread was to find out if other people had begun to see this, and to determine whether it was a new An Post policy. Not to decide on a course of action, which will come next.

To those who helped, many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

The last time we had post delivered directly to the door the postwoman drove over our dog without stopping. After some legal wrangling over vet costs and whatnot the postbox was then installed at the gate by, you guessed it, the post office. But thanks for your suggestion anyway.

Jesus! I thought the one where the postman broke someone's gate was bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

my3cents wrote: »
    Ask the postman to beep their horn when they pull up maybe your near enough to hear it - works for us.

My postman does this. He's nervous of my dog so I'm happy to go out to him. He even comes back a second time if I miss him, if he can, rather than make me go to the post office to pick the post up.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The legal case involving a dog the postwoman ran over was 8 years ago. This new practice of dropping parcels at the roadside is only weeks old.
    Mother of god, I waiting for the next eventual revelation in this thread.

I, and I presume many others thought it was very recent when you said this,
    The last time we had post delivered directly to the door the postwoman drove over our dog without stopping.

Especially as you then held off mentioning the 8 year thing in response to his post.

rubadub wrote: »
    Mother of god, I waiting for the next eventual revelation in this thread.

I, and I presume many others thought it was very recent when you said this,

Especially as you then held off mentioning the 8 year thing in response to his post.

Most people will be able to understand the following in my OP:

"Over the years we've had various An Post drivers and they've always come to the front door to hand in oversized parcels."

As for normal post, it has been delivered to the box at the gate for the last 7 or 8 years. I'm truly sorry this is so difficult for you and others to understand. I had no idea the ability to join the dots was so poor.

It wasn't that clear, to be honest

This thread is getting overheated - I don't think there's much more to be said unless there is no satisfaction from contacting An Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Legally there is an obligation to deliver to a mutually agreed point at a home or premises. Which can be explicit or determined by a letterbox etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

davo10 wrote: »
    The op put his/her mailbox outside the gate, that is the point of delivary for on post, designated by the op, why? Because that's where the letterbox is.
    amtc wrote: »
    Legally there is an obligation to deliver to a mutually agreed point at a home or premises. Which can be explicit or determined by a letterbox etc.

I'd be interested to see the actual laws or official instructions given to an post delivery people. Those 2 quotes sound like "bloke in the pub" who thinks he's a lawyer talk.

I have never had parcels left outside by an post. I have a letterbox in my door, I wonder if there is a different rule. Many people in my estate have external postboxes now, usually on the wall beside the front door, which I would guess would be equal to having a postbox at your gate. I have never seen any parcels left beside these postboxes.

I always presumed if it did not fit then officially it should go back to the depot or post office and you get the notice to go collect it. Of course people might have arrangments with the postman if they know him, esp. in rural areas. The first quote sounds like the offical instruction is to just leave it there, which I highly doubt is the case.

We had 1 or 2 postmen post here before who may know. I can see nothing on their website.

Advertisement