Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's here: Election Day in America. Indecision 2016.

• 08-11-2016 6:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,309 ✭✭✭✭

And just minutes after midnight the first polling place in the country closed in Dixville Notch, New Hampshire tallying the town's staggering 8 votes total... right out of the gate: Mitt Romney has a vote! He wasn't running in any way shape or form after losing 2012 but he did it!

4 - Hillary Clinton
    2 - Donald Trump
    1 - Gary Johnson
    1 - Mitt Romney (write-in)

http://www.mediaite.com/online/breaking-first-in-the-nation-dixville-notch-vote-goes-to-clinton/

With this Democalypse upon us, the endwar to the longest, craziest US election in history is underway. The results will likely be projected by around 10PM EST though the last polls will officially close by 1 AM EST (Alaska, Hawaii).

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

It's been a roller coaster. I was convinced it was going to be Jeb v Joe Biden at this point. Jeb was eviscerated by a demagogue and Joe never ran.

Whatever happens, let's just all agree the election was the will of the people and move on. Talk of rigged systems does no one any good.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

I'm glad we don't have electronic voting machines here that can be manipulated. Either way with the build up of American and British troops in eastern Europe world war 3 isn't far away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I think it's time that europe started building up relationships to the East given the fact that 40%+ americans are saying they will vote for Trump whose stated policy on the middle east is to bomb the sh1t out of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I think it's time that europe started building up relationships to the East given the fact that 40%+ americans are saying they will vote for Trump whose stated policy on the middle east is to bomb the sh1t out of it!

And he said that when and where exactly ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

What is the difference there and what the golfer in chief has been doing?
    (Leaving aside his destruction of Libya & continued bombing of Afghanistan, Somalia, Yemen...)

Or is this one of those cognitive dissonance things where Barry can do no wrong!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,258 ✭✭✭✭briany

Trump won't be getting elected. His rhetoric is just too extreme to really ever get over the finishing line. Even another candidate coming along espousing the same kind of ideals would find it hard to make it to 270, and even if they did, their more wingnut proposals would be tempered by a cadre of advisers talking the man down from bringing about the apocalypse.

Anyone else betting on the outcome?

The only bet worth doing on Paddy Powet was Trump to get 210-240 electoral college votes at 13/8.

I wanted to do a 50 state accumulator but they won't allow it!

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

What's the story with the queues to vote in the US? Polls seem to have been open in many states for weeks, yet every time I see news coverage of polling stations there's a queue. Are we just blessed with an abundance of polling stations in Ireland? In over ten years of voting here I've never seen anything resembling a queue, I've never even had trouble parking outside. It always looks like you have to really try hard to vote over there.

Brian? wrote: »

The only bet worth doing on Paddy Powet was Trump to get 210-240 electoral college votes at 13/8.

Every bet is worth doing if you're happy with the return. I put 15 on Hillary to win at 2/5 a couple of days ago. More as an experiment to see if I could tempt fate, I suppose. Her odds have shortened since. Were I an actual proper betting man, though, then yes I suppose the electoral college one does look to be good value.

• Advertisement

I put a large wedge on Hillary when she was 1/3.
    Last night I took a punt of €50 on Donny @ 4/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

hardCopy wrote: »
    What's the story with the queues to vote in the US? Polls seem to have been open in many states for weeks, yet every time I see news coverage of polling stations there's a queue. Are we just blessed with an abundance of polling stations in Ireland? In over ten years of voting here I've never seen anything resembling a queue, I've never even had trouble parking outside. It always looks like you have to really try hard to vote over there.

I do wonder about some of those lines at polling booths there. They stand in line, a few feet apart.

Here people would be groups in two or threes, chatting together.

I wonder if they are staged?

The good folks of 270towin.com can let you share your predicted maps!

Here is my best Nate Silver....

ejYdy.png

Trump on Wednesday: "Perhaps it was a slightly bad idea to píss off virtually the entire Hispanic population of the USA."

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tvc15

I am torn between going to bed at 9 and getting up around 3am (10pm eastern) or trying to stay up to 2 or so then having to get up for 7am for work, which will get me the most interesting coverage? will it be all over by 3am?

briany wrote: »
    Every bet is worth doing if you're happy with the return. I put 15 on Hillary to win at 2/5 a couple of days ago. More as an experiment to see if I could tempt fate, I suppose. Her odds have shortened since. Were I an actual proper betting man, though, then yes I suppose the electoral college one does look to be good value.

Hillary was 1/5 this morning when I checked. If I had a few grand handy, I'd throw it on. But I don't.

I'd love to do a 50 state accumulator.

they/them/theirs

tvc15 wrote: »
    I am torn between going to bed at 9 and getting up around 3am (10pm eastern) or trying to stay up to 2 or so then having to get up for 7am for work, which will get me the most interesting coverage? will it be all over by 3am?

Stay up. Could be an early blood bath.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Whatever happens, let's just all agree the election was the will of the people and move on. Talk of rigged systems does no one any good.
    What I can't get my head around is all the talk online about what one's rights are and aren't at the polling stations. How to assert your right to vote, and so forth.

You'd almost get the impression that there are people at the polling stations doing their damnedest to spread confusion amongst voters, to stop people from voting and swing the vote for their candidate. In my head I'm imaging some bizarre circus almost like a trading room floor where you're attempting to vote, but people are talking in your ear and demanding to see documentation. Though I'm sure it's not like that.

I find it hard to get my head around when I'm used to Irish elections where you attend a virtually silent room, present your voting card, vote and leave. There's no fuss and no question of people trying to stop you from casting a vote.

I'd love to do a 50 state accumulator.

Sadly PP wont do state-by-state accumulators.
    Singles only, or they throw batches of states together and call it a 'special'.

They didn't to accums in 2012 either.
    It would lose them money seeing as 40-ish states are a lock.

Stay up. Could be an early blood bath.

Via @NickTimaraos, here's when the Associated Press called the election in years past:

2012: 11:38 p.m. on Tuesday

2008: 11 p.m. on Tuesday

2004: 11:19 a.m. on Wednesday

2000: No call

1996: 9 p.m. on Tuesday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Well I saw it on BBC last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

This will be the only acceptable outcome if Trump wins

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

If Clinton wins, America loses. If Trump wins, America loses more.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

seamus wrote: »
    ...I'm used to Irish elections where you attend a virtually silent room, present your voting card, vote and leave. There's no fuss and no question of people trying to stop you from casting a vote.

I've witnessed one mild exception to that. My Danish girlfriend presented herself to vote in the local and Euros, only to be told that she couldn't vote as she wasn't an Irish citizen. She told them to go and check their own rules; she'd wait. They found a book, checked, and red-facedly gave her her ballot papers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,615 ✭✭✭✭L1011

tvc15 wrote: »
    Via @NickTimaraos, here's when the Associated Press called the election in years past:

2012: 11:38 p.m. on Tuesday

2008: 11 p.m. on Tuesday

2004: 11:19 a.m. on Wednesday

2000: No call

1996: 9 p.m. on Tuesday

Eastern, Pacific? One of the flyover zones?

L1011 wrote: »
    Eastern, Pacific? One of the flyover zones?

Eastern

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    If Clinton wins, America loses. If Trump wins, America loses more.

Explain?

I can understand Trump as he has no experience as a politician and is a loose cannon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The only bet worth doing on Paddy Power was Trump to get 210-240 electoral college votes at 13/8.

Got a spread of double digits on DT earlier in the year, today his price is going short again (4.25 average, from 6.0 in 48hrs). Anything above 4 (quadruple ROI) is fairly decent value. Would also back HC (1.25), only if price gets up to 1.46+ again, as an offset (lay).

The markets (Fx, Commods, Stocks) are all still very nervous and don't indicate any clear HC landslides, as of yet (bearing in mind, some markets are -5 GMT).

I'd personally ignore (any) poll-data & media(bias) commentary in absolute entirely, and watch the various trading markets instead, as live indicators.

Foreseeing what the silent majority will do is crucial, will they take a 'brexit' chance for change, and go against the establishment? Perhaps. Electronic voting is a slight concern, old fashioned paper and pencil pen balloting is the only sure-fire method.

Some enhanced state combinations are available via SkyBet. N.C. could actually be a good swing state to back for Rep.

Some books also allow accumulators combining politics, sports and even other tv/novelties which is sometimes the best approach. I.e. stake low, return high and allow for a margin of error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Voted at 7:15 this morning and I was waiting about 15 minutes in line (inside the polling station). Normally no wait in line at all at this station. This is in the inner suburbs of Philadelphia - definite Hillary Country.

Most people checked in smoothly. A few had to show ID (I think if it is your first time voting at this polling station) and one lady had an absentee ballot that she wanted to cancel out and vote in person instead.

A friend of mine was 27th in line outside his polling place at 6:50 (ten minutes before polls opened). He counted 75 people in line behind him as he left. Biggest turnout he had ever seen too. This is in a further-out suburb of Philly that would probably lean gently towards Hillary.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Do the various districts report out individually or do they wait for a State level result?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Anyone else watched the Michael Moore film released recently? Admittedly I'm biased towards Clinton anyway, but I thought a lot of it rang true about how the criticisms of her have come about and never go away. I'm much more of a Clinton fan having watched it.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭lillycakes2

come on Hillary !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I've witnessed one mild exception to that. My Danish girlfriend presented herself to vote in the local and Euros, only to be told that she couldn't vote as she wasn't an Irish citizen. She told them to go and check their own rules; she'd wait. They found a book, checked, and red-facedly gave her her ballot papers.

Interested in this as I'm not an irish citizen, I'm Belgian.

I van vote in European Elections and local elections but note Dail or preseidential ones.

If your GF has an insight in a different view on this, I'd be more than interested ...

Send us a PM ... I suspect this thread to get swamped later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

hardCopy wrote: »
    What's the story with the queues to vote in the US?

Racism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Yes the day has finally come which means the election is nearly over.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I hope crooked Hillary drains that swamp.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Interested in this as I'm not an irish citizen, I'm Belgian.

I van vote in European Elections and local elections but note Dail or preseidential ones.

If your GF has an insight in a different view on this, I'd be more than interested ...
    Nope, she was trying to vote in euros and locals and they tried to tell her she couldn't. She wouldn't attempt to vote in an election where she's not entitled to: she is Danish, after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Will be voting on my way home this evening. I'll be casting my ballot for the Archie Bunker Billionaire. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

:confused:
    I hope crooked Hillary drains that swamp.

Bigly.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Nope, she was trying to vote in euros and locals and they tried to tell her she couldn't. She wouldn't attempt to vote in an election where she's not entitled to: she is Danish, after all.

Viking blood. I wouldn't be so assured of her pacifism and respect for democracy in other countries! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Hope people today realize that politicians become beholding to their large donors. And with Hillary, now we'll also be beholding to foreign governments. Great! :mad:

Amerika wrote: »
    Hope people today realize that politicians become beholding to their large donors. And with Hillary, now we'll also be beholding to foreign governments. Great! :mad:

Like Russia.....oh wait!!??:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

What is the difference there and what the golfer in chief has been doing?

http://anonhq.com/unfinished-after-taking-the-fewest-vacation-days-of-any-president-since-carter-obama-goes-to-hawaii/

Come off it.

Amerika wrote: »

Like we weren't already? Pinning this as some magical new phenomenon that started with Hillary and not as something bipartisan that has pervaded our government for decades is willfully obtuse. That is one of the biggest problems with Citizens United: unlimited amounts of traceless, anonymous money spent influencing our politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

Election day, that one day every 2 years that you realize how ****ed up and racist parts of this country can be.
    The long lines for voting aren't by accident. It's franky disgusting that certain republican states do everything they can to prevent people from voting. Really hope Hillary wins today. The idea of President Trump is too depressing to consider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭TheOven

vetinari wrote: »
    Election day, that one day every 2 years that you realize how ****ed up and racist parts of this country can be.
    The long lines for voting aren't by accident. It's franky disgusting that certain republican states to everything they can to prevent people from voting. Really hope Hillary wins today. The idea of President Trump is too depressing to consider.

On the plus side it will provide a handy map of where to avoid when I move back. Although it isn't like I was considering the likes of Alabama or Mississippi before now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

The Electoral College is a silly relic of history. High time it was done away with, and the president elected by popular vote.

The Electoral College is a silly relic of history. High time it was done away with, and the president elected by popular vote.

On the contrary someone like trump perfectly demonstrates why it's still a thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Overheal wrote: »
    On the contrary someone like trump perfectly demonstrates why it's still a thing

Yeah, cos it really benefited the United States and the world in general when that idiot GW Bush got the presidency despite not winning the popular vote.

Yeah, cos it really benefited the United States and the world in general when that idiot GW Bush got the presidency despite not winning the popular vote.

Yeah but the popular vote isn't required constitutionally.

• Advertisement
Advertisement