Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's here: Election Day in America. Indecision 2016.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Overheal wrote: »
    Like we weren't already? Pinning this as some magical new phenomenon that started with Hillary and not as something bipartisan that has pervaded our government for decades is willfully obtuse. That is one of the biggest problems with Citizens United: unlimited amounts of traceless, anonymous money spent influencing our politics.
    Don't forget the mainstream media. I wonder what kind of value we can put on their undying love and devotion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

There's arguments for it and against it, but personally I'd prefer to get rid of it.

Technically someone could legitimately become president of the United states with just 11 solitary votes if the managed to get 1 vote in each of the top 11 states and their opponent got none. So you could have a president elected with 11 votes and a losing candidate with maybe 100 million votes. It's a crazy system.

While that example is technically possible it's never going to happen but while that takes it to an extreme you could realistically see a scenario where someone has less than 40% of the popular vote beating someone with over 50% which would be terrible for democracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Yeah but the popular vote isn't required constitutionally.

Yeah and that's why I'm saying the Electoral College is an unfair relic of history and should be replaced.

Amerika wrote: »
    Don't forget the mainstream media. I wonder what kind of value we can put on their undying love and devotion?

Like that bastion of Clinton love Fox news?

Yeah but the popular vote isn't required constitutionally.

Nor was it for the Senate which didn't formally require popular elections for Senators until 1913. Before then most were elected by state legislature.

Jayop wrote: »
    Like that bastion of Clinton love Fox news?

I take it you consider FoxNEws vs ABCCBSNBCCNNMSNBCPBSNPRPoliticoWashingtonPostLosAngelesTimesESPNUnivisionNewYorkTimesBostonGlobe a fair fight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Did your spacebear break

I take it you consider FoxNEws vs ABCCBSNBCCNNMSNBCPBSNPRPoliticoWashingtonPostLosAngelesTimesESPNUnivisionNewYorkTimesBostonGlobe a fair fight?

Washington Post, LA Times, NY times, Boston Globe are all regional news papers in democratic states.

As for your spagetti soup at the start I'm not American so I'm not going to try to decipher them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭TheOven

Im just glad nobody is considering Breitbart as an actual news source. Not even the Trump supporters.

• Advertisement

TheOven wrote: »
    Im just glad nobody is considering Breitbart as an actual news source. Not even the Trump supporters.

Hardcore Trump supporters are even turning on Fox for being part of the "liberal media" because they aren't fawning over him as much as they would like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

vetinari wrote: »
    Election day, that one day every 2 years that you realize how ****ed up and racist parts of this country can be.
    The long lines for voting aren't by accident. It's franky disgusting that certain republican states to everything they can to prevent people from voting. Really hope Hillary wins today. The idea of President Trump is too depressing to consider.

Please stop associating racism as a white only problem.

Remember the new black panthers intimidating white voters in Philadelphia back in 2008, and I'm sure its happening in other places as I type.

Please stop associating racism as a white only problem.

Remember the new black panthers intimidating white voters in Philadelphia back in 2008, and I'm sure its happening in other places as I type.

Oh my, tiny isolated incident 8 years ago Vs massive organized legitimized voter supression driven by one of the two main political parties.

It's like comparing a mass murderer so someone farting.

Oh my, tiny isolated incident 8 years ago Vs massive organized legitimized voter supression driven by one of the two main political parties.

It's like comparing a mass murderer so someone farting.

One example, I'll do a search later to find more.

Blacks are racists too.

Blacks hate whites too.

Al Sharpton, friend of the president, is a racist

Jeremiah Weight, friend of the president, is a racist.

Blacks voted in huge numbers for Obama because he was black.

Racism not exclusively a white problem.

One example, I'll do a search later to find more.

Blacks are racists too.

Blacks hate whites too.

Al Sharpton, friend of the president, is a racist

Jeremiah Weight, friend of the president, is a racist.

Blacks voted in huge numbers for Obama because he was black.

Racism not exclusively a white problem.

But the post you quoted never tried to suggest that racism is a white only problem. Nor did they claim voter supression was a white only problem.

However only a moron would say that voter supression is anything other in the vast majority of cases than of white republicans trying to prevent minorities from voting. You can post all the isolated incidents you like, it would not change that fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,606 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Black people are perfectly capable of being racist too, but in the current election, minorities are being systematically targeted by the GOP and purged from election registerS, and polling booths are set up to disenfranchise minority voters.

Read the last entry on the 538 election day blog for just one example of how minorities are treated differently
    A friend in Chicago reports some pretty disturbing events from the polls this morning. She’s African-American and her husband is white, and they had pretty different experiences at their voting location. She was asked for a photo ID; he wasn’t. She only received part of her ballot at first, and they gave her the other half after she’d already started filling out the first part. Her husband also reported that the only other white voter in line, a man wearing a suit, was invited to cut in line because he was clearly “in a hurry.” (The man declined.) I have no idea if this is representative of what’s happening elsewhere, but it’s not encouraging.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/live-blog/2016-election-results-coverage/?ex_cid=extra_banner

• Advertisement

Akrasia wrote: »
    Black people are perfectly capable of being racist too, but in the current election, minorities are being systematically targeted by the GOP and purged from election registerS, and polling booths are set up to disenfranchise minority voters.

Read the last entry on the 538 election day blog for just one example of how minorities are treated differently
    Another succumbs to the ploy of George Soros. Shocking how he has manipulated so many with his agenda of lies.

https://pjmedia.com/jchristianadams/2016/11/07/leaked-documents-reveal-expansive-soros-funding-to-manipulate-federal-elections/

Half way through. TRUMP WIN YET? :P

Another succumbs to the ploy of George Soros. Shocking how he has manipulated so many with his agenda of lies.

https://pjmedia.com/jchristianadams/2016/11/07/leaked-documents-reveal-expansive-soros-funding-to-manipulate-federal-elections/

lol

PJ Media (originally known as Pajamas Media) is an American online media company and operator of an eponymous conservative news, opinion and commentary collaborative blog that was founded in 2004. Its majority owner is technology entrepreneur and angel investor Aubrey Chernick.[1]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Jim Sciutto ✔ @jimsciutto
    Breaking: #Trump files Nevada voting lawsuit vs. Clark County Registrar, they allege, for keeping polls open “2 hours beyond..closing time"
    5:39 PM - 8 Nov 2016
    1,593 1,593 Retweets 876 876 likes

Akrasia wrote: »

In my time of watching US elections the problem of minority voter disenfranchisement has been topical since 2000.

Yet today 16 years on its still seems to be a problem.

In that period of time why have minority community leaders and the the Democratic party locally not combated it, with voter registration drives, drives to get people educated on the proper forms of id etc.

Surely getting an ID is one of the most fundamental tasks in American life, you need it for everything.

So why is it such a big problem.

Or is it even as big a problem as it is made out to be?

• Advertisement

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Breaking: #Trump files Nevada voting lawsuit vs. Clark County Registrar, they allege, for keeping polls open “2 hours beyond..closing time"

No shame

In my time of watching US elections the problem of minority voter disenfranchisement has been topical since 2000.

In that period of time why have minority community leaders and the the Democratic party locally not combated it, with voter registration drives, drives to get people educated on the proper forms of id etc.

Surely getting an ID is one of the most fundamental tasks in American life, you need it for everything.

Clearly you don't or they'd have it. If you don't drive then the chances are you're poor and don't travel internationally so you don't have a passport either.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »

Bit more background

So - Basically , there was a huge queue so they kept the polling station open until the Queue was gone..

Not seeing the problem really , especially if this is true.
    Under election law, anyone who is in the queue to vote must be able to cast their ballot, even if that happens after the scheduled close.

Clearly you don't or they'd have it. If you don't drive then the chances are you're poor and don't travel internationally so you don't have a passport either.

You need a state issued ID, not a drivers licence or a passport, to buy booze in most states.

You need one to open a bank account, to collect welfare etc etc.

You can't leave the house without it in my experience.

lol

PJ Media (originally known as Pajamas Media) is an American online media company and operator of an eponymous conservative news, opinion and commentary collaborative blog that was founded in 2004. Its majority owner is technology entrepreneur and angel investor Aubrey Chernick.[1]

Any comment on the content of the article?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Here we have reports of Trump supporters blocking access to a polling station in Florida, and harassing people who try to get in to vote:

https://twitter.com/AriBerman/status/796060435166429184?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,258 ✭✭✭✭briany

tvc15 wrote: »
    will it be all over by 3am?

It'll be all over bar the cries of, "Rigged! Rigged! Rigged!" from the Trumpeters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭evancunny95

B0jangles wrote: »
    Here we have reports of Trump supporters blocking access to a polling station in Florida, and harassing people who try to get in to vote:

Pathetic from those 'deplorables'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

I for one welcome our new folicly challenged overlord

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The mad thing is they aren't some nutters, they're Trump's nutters following what he said and warned about at his rallies.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Reports coming in from around Pennsylvania that votes for Trump are being switched to Hillary on electronic voting machines. This report from Clinton Township. (you can't make this stuff up LOL)

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2016/11/08/some-problems-reported-as-voters-head-to-polls/

Reports coming in from around Pennsylvania that votes for Trump are being switched to Hillary on electronic voting machines. This report from Clinton Township. (you can't make this stuff up LOL)

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2016/11/08/some-problems-reported-as-voters-head-to-polls/

Seriously

cbslocal ?

:)

This seems to be bogus and possibly more lies by HRC supporters.

Seriously

cbslocal ?

:)
    Yup, a CBS local affiliate, reporting out of Clinton Township. Would be funny to see headlines "Clinton votes for Trump." :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,606 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The GOP keep coming up with new ways to block minorities. In 2000 it was falsely accusing them of being felons, last time it was voter IDs, this time they're purging the electoral register of millions of voters by pretending that they're registered in multiple states. (Just because they have certain common names, see the Crosscheck program)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Nah ha ha ha.

'Soros funds fuelled litigation attacking election integrity measures'

If every there was a clear euphemism, it's 'election integrity measures'. Sounds like 'collateral damage' or something.

What are you guys doing there??

Oh 'election integrity measures'

Jesus!

Not just you amerika but...

I'm so sick of people posting nonsense from either side and not thinking it through.

We were all given intelligence. Please everyone try and be a bit more critical of things you read and stop just throwing around such obvious nonsense.

Show a little independent thought!

This seems to be bogus and possibly more lies by HRC supporters.

You getting this from Trumps source that says he is going to win bigly? :rolleyes:

You need a state issued ID, not a drivers licence or a passport, to buy booze in most states.

You need one to open a bank account, to collect welfare etc etc.

You can't leave the house without it in my experience.

Bank of america requirements to open an account...

What do I need to apply?
    For a faster application process, please have the following information on hand when you begin your application:
    Your Social Security number
    Your current residential address
    Your email address
    Your account number or debit card number to make your opening deposit into your new Bank of America account
    Co-applicant's personal information (if applicable)
    If you're missing one of these pieces of information, you can also schedule an appointment with an associate at your local financial center for a day and time that works best for you.

https://www.bankofamerica.com/deposits/manage/faq-applying-for-accounts.go

No ID requirement.

I looked online for a list of requirements to collect social welfare and other than your social security card I can't see any other ID requirement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,127 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Such a dangerous man Trump is already actively going around telling live news it's rigged.

The man is dangerous.

listermint wrote: »
    Such a dangerous man Trump is already actively going around telling live news it's rigged.

The man is dangerous.

That is actually a Clinton supporter hired by Soros.

You literally could make this up very easily or even just be so stupid that you don't know what happened in the polling booth/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,127 ✭✭✭✭listermint

TheOven wrote: »
    That is actually a Clinton supporter hired by Soros.

No its not. It's Donald himself

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/796071264347627521?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw[/quote]

You literally could make this up very easily or even just be so stupid that you don't know what happened in the polling booth/

Last post by that poster you questioned the varsity of their source, are you doing so again ?

Last post by that poster you questioned the varsity of their source, are you doing so again ?

The source is "people said so". The people that said so are Trump fans and that poster stated "you couldn't make it up". I simply stated that yes, they very could "simply make it up". No issue with the news site it was broadcast on, simply that they story could be fabricated by the few people who said it happened to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I don't really like getting into the voter fraud stuff, as we can't do anything about it at this point. But in the spirit of this portion of the thread, here's one from Twitter, with more reports on the account:

https://twitter.com/PhillyGOP/status/796044376216576000/video/1

The source is "people said so". The people that said so are Trump fans and that poster stated "you couldn't make it up". I simply stated that yes, they very could "simply make it up". No issue with the news site it was broadcast on, simply that they story could be fabricated by the few people who said it happened to them.

Read the article. The election judges verified there was something wrong with the machines.

But didn't CBS report election officials verified that the machines were switching votes from Trump to Clinton. Can't get much more verified than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yup, a CBS local affiliate, reporting out of Clinton Township. Would be funny to see headlines "Clinton votes for Trump." :)

You live a funny double life.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Both parties engage in election fraud. The Democrats use the voter registration to get as many votes as they can. Don't believe many of those voters are voting for the right reasons.

• Advertisement
Advertisement