Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumber in Maynooth

Options
  • 08-11-2016 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Looking for a recommendation for a plumber in Maynooth. Downstairs rads are only tepid upstairs rads and hot water are too hot to use. I have turned all the upstairs rads down as much as possible but still no joy to the downstairs.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Have you bled the radiators yourself? It's easy and could solve the problem without the expense of a plumber. Bleed all of them to let any air out and try again.

If that doesn't work then I recommend Normal Birchell. I can PM you his number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Second Orion's post.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

Thanks guys, all rads bled. Will try one last thing then if needs be I'll make the call.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Lastblackdog

Sounds like a pump problem. The upstairs rads will hear due to hot water rising but the downstairs need the pump to make them heat.

Check for power at the pump and if you press a screwdriver to the housing of the pump and your ear to the handle you will hear if the pump is turning. The noise will transfer along the blade to your ear.

Not a good time for heating problems. I had a problem yesterday and the guy that usually services my central heating didn't even return my call.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Are there thermostats upstairs and downstairs?
    If so, you may have a problem with the motorised mini valves that control the flow to each floor.
    They might look something like this:
    http://www.plumbingproducts.ie/motorised-valves-ireland/3647-myson-2-port-mpe23-4-motorised-valve-22mm.html
    If you switch the thermostats up and down you should see the mini valves opening and closing...

If that doesn't help, I'd go with Orion's post too...

• Advertisement

ElKavo wrote: »
    Thanks guys, all rads bled. Will try one last thing then if needs be I'll make the call.

Cheers

You may need to increase the pressure on the boiler. Was there much air in the rads? If so then increase the pressure to the level the boiler manufacturer recommends. It's just a screw to let more water in - youtube vids can show you exactly how.

Sounds like a pump problem. The upstairs rads will hear due to hot water rising but the downstairs need the pump to make them heat.

Check for power at the pump and if you press a screwdriver to the housing of the pump and your ear to the handle you will hear if the pump is turning. The noise will transfer along the blade to your ear.

Not a good time for heating problems. I had a problem yesterday and the guy that usually services my central heating didn't even return my call.

Absolutely - if the pressure is ok then this is the next likely suspect. If the heating hasn't been used all summer/autumn there could be a build up of gunk in the pump. That happened to me - had to get a relation who's a plumber to fix it. It's easy enough but you need to know what you're doing. But check the pressure first and hopefully you'll be sorted.

Advertisement